8/20 AP Top 25 Poll

The Tower

41 minutes ago, torre said:

No surprise,  Bohls'  ballot does not rate Texas but places KState at 19.

Excerpts:

My ballot includes five Big 12 teams, but not Texas, which made the poll at No. 23 without my vote. I just think the Longhorns need to prove themselves before I buy in. With their front-loaded schedule, we should know the answer by mid-October.

So there you have it, a little insight to the upcoming season or more likely just stuff to line your birdcage.

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/college-football/bohls-call-crazy-just-burned-out-bama-but-clemson/9YkiXI0j7C7LWhSJzrxCPP/

BOHLS’ BALLOT

Kirk Bohls’ AP Top 25 preseason ballot. Numbers in parenthesis are where that team ended up on the AP poll:

1. Clemson (2nd)

2. Alabama (1st)

3. Georgia (3rd)

4. Ohio State (5th)

5. Michigan State (11th)

6. Wisconsin (4th)

7. Washington (6th)

8. Miami (8th)

9. Oklahoma (7th)

10. Penn State (10th)

11. Stanford (13th)

12. Auburn (9th)

13. Boise State (22nd)

14. Central Florida (21st)

15. West Virginia (17th)

16. Virginia Tech (20th)

17. Notre Dame (12th)

18. Mississippi State (18th)

19. Kansas State (Not ranked)

20. USC (15th)

21. Iowa State (Not ranked)

22. Florida State (19th)

23. TCU (16th)

24. Michigan (14th)

25. Utah (Not ranked)

I get that Michigan has underperformed their talent under Harbaugh, but 24th is ridiculous with the amount of talent on that team. 4th place in the east will likely be inside the top 15 all season. 

Edited by heso

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Where would you have them?

I'd have them gargling your balls, frankly.

They've got the most overhyped QB in the history of the sport preemptively considered a Heisman frontrunner after one half of football. They've got largely unproven talent at WR. The secondary doesn't have a proven standout. LB is paper thin and the DL, while talented, has shit to prove. They have to replace 8 of their top 11 tacklers. They have tremendous coaching, a stable of excellent backs, a very strong OL and deep talent. They also have a fucking joke of a schedule. So yeah, I'm sure they make the CFB again, but they better win every game. In reading and listening to the people paid to cover the game, the SEC/ACC scheduling is under scrutiny like never before. They're not going to get the same credit as they have in the past for playing the charmin soft fluff that they're playing this season. 

Honestly, the two teams overhyped more than any other on the list are Auburn and Miami. Miami is average and rode a turnover wave to a 10 win season. Auburn isn't a consistent juggernaut (they lost 4 last year, and were 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 in the 3 years prior), yet they're referenced these days as though they are. They need to rebuild almost the entire OL, which was mediocre in the first place (I'm ignoring Herb Hand concerns subliminally outside of this post), they need to replace an outstanding TB, their schedule is extremely difficult, they need to replace an AA placekicker, and they lose 3 of their top 6 tacklers. Every year, some top preseason top 10 team finishes the year unranked (shout to Mack Brown in 2010 and Bilbo Aggins in 2017), and my bets are on both of these teams to finish unranked. 

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Miami is the one that jumps out to me as pure garbage. I didn't buy their ranking last season, and don't buy it this one. Is there an anti-ThugU bias coming from me, sure, but I stand by my statement. 

Yeah, I don't really like them either. Everyone is talking about their game against LSU, but nobody is talking about their game at Toledo. Toledo is quietly a solid team, and the Glass Bowl should be packed. They got lucky in their conference schedule because they only have one tough road game (Virginia Tech). They'll probably go 10-2 or 9-3, as is tradition for a Mark Richt-coached team.

12 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Yeah, I don't really like them either. Everyone is talking about their game against LSU, but nobody is talking about their game at Toledo. Toledo is quietly a solid team, and the Glass Bowl should be packed. They got lucky in their conference schedule because they only have one tough road game (Virginia Tech). They'll probably go 10-2 or 9-3, as is tradition for a Mark Richt-coached team.

I think LSU might actually beat Miami in week one, but that just may be me creating anxiety. 

Overall, the ACC is a steaming pile of shit this year. It's Clemson, and then a whole bunch of nothing. Boston College? GTFO. North Carolina/NCSU/GaTech/Wake/Duke are all a bucket of meh or worse. Pitt/Syracuse/Virginia are hot garbage. Va Tech is fine as a top 25-35 team. Same for Louisville. That leaves Miami, FSU, and Clemson. FSU is a wild card. Miami will finish the season unranked. Clemson probably lives up to its billing as a CFP team, and the whole conference is basically basking in that glow.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:01 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

There are a few games the first weekend that will tell us a bunch about top-25 teams: 

Auburn - Washington is a terrific game. AU a more pass-centric team this year?

Tennessee - WVU game will be interesting, especially if the WVU defense struggles.

Michigan - Notre Dame should be a lot of fun. The level of hate among fans who have no dog in the fight will be high.

Miami - LSU will be a lot of fun, the beginning of the end of Coach O?

Virginia Tech - FSU is an interesting matchup as well. FSU QB play improves?

UW, WVU, ND, Miami, VTech

Pretty sure he's talking specifically about this year. TCU has a shot to be really good, but Shawn Robinson will have to show some accuracy. WVU is a head scratcher for me. Everyone is high on them because of Grier, but I just don't see it. Michigan State should be pretty good, but Penn State has a lot to prove with Moorhead and Barkley gone. We'll find out if it was the personnel or the coaching that caused that shit show of an offense before Moorhead got there.

Our shit defense picked off Will Grier 4 times last year in an evening game in Morgantown. He may be good but he’s definitely capable of shitting the bed.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Our shit defense picked off Will Grier 4 times last year in an evening game in Morgantown. He may be good but he’s definitely capable of shitting the bed.

Grier is going into protect thy draft status mode. With the crop of QB’s slated to come out he stands a good chance of going High come draft time. So he really doesn’t have to do anything great, just don’t do anything stupid. Most importantly don’t get hurt. 

If he lines up and sees the possibility of getting hammered by a quality defensive front he will think far more of himself then of the team. Expect quicker less accurate throws, leaving the pocket early, signs of a guy playing cautiously.

2 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Grier is going into protect thy draft status mode. With the crop of QB’s slated to come out he stands a good chance of going High come draft time. So he really doesn’t have to do anything great, just don’t do anything stupid. Most importantly don’t get hurt. 

If he lines up and sees the possibility of getting hammered by a quality defensive front he will think far more of himself then of the team. Expect quicker less accurate throws, leaving the pocket early, signs of a guy playing cautiously.

Plus he isn't on the gas anymore so he's gonna be low on test. Hope Texas gets a chance to break his mind and will to live instead of just his finger this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 12:47 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Ummm what? Michigan St and Penn St are all much better than TCU and WVU. What are you watching?

The Big 10 is better and deeper than the Big 12. It's not even a debate.

#11 Michigan State currently struggling with Utah State.

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Um ok? Its opening day. Teams will be rusty. This shit isn't uncommon. Now if they are still struggling as the season goes on, then you have a point. 

Pedo state struggles with nobody, meanwhile WVU dominates Tennishit.

Again, you are wrong. B1G is shit tier.

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Pedo state struggles with nobody, meanwhile WVU dominates Tennishit.

Again, you are wrong. B1G is shit tier.

Dude shut the fuck up. Tennessee is junk. Every team took care of business today whether struggling or not. But good job judging a whole conference on the basis of a few teams in their opening week.

Meanwhile, you are justifying and defending losing to Maryland for 2 seasons in a row in other threads. 

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dude shut the fuck up. Tennessee is junk. Every team took care of business today whether struggling or not. But good job judging a whole conference on the basis of a few teams in their opening week.

Meanwhile, you are justifying and defending losing to Maryland for 2 seasons in a row in other threads. 

How is Michigan doin? If you love the B1G so much head over to the pedo state forums.

I'm not justifying anything, just reminding dipshits that are begging for Kevin Stumblin to come coach here that they should fuck off.