DKR trip with family

chesthair

Its been a few years since i have been to a game and this will be the first one (baylor on the 13th) with family in tow, need some recs.  We plan on driving down friday morning and showing them around friday and probably staying through sunday to do things we miss on friday.  Also, any guesses on start time for the game?

#1 son very much wants to attend UT (soph in HS) so i want him to see the sights.  I want to stay close to the stadium/campus and want a nice hotel.  So need recs on hotels and food in the general area and if there is anything in specific he needs to see?

I always loved staying at the Driskill.  Westin downtown is also nice.  For the game, I always hit Scholz's beer garden before the game, then make my way to the alumni center and/or the co-op for a bunch of crap I don't need but buy anyway.

Since it's a late-afternoon game, even though there are a dozen better BBQ places to eat, I love hitting up the Salt Lick.  Foods "ok", but the layout is amazing.  BYOB, so roll up with a cooler of beer.  Lights in the trees.  Live music.  It's always a hit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I always loved staying at the Driskill.  Westin downtown is also nice.  For the game, I always hit Scholz's beer garden before the game, then make my way to the alumni center and/or the co-op for a bunch of crap I don't need but buy anyway.

Since it's a late-afternoon game, even though there are a dozen better BBQ places to eat, I love hitting up the Salt Lick.  Foods "ok", but the layout is amazing.  BYOB, so roll up with a cooler of beer.  Lights in the trees.  Live music.  It's always a hit.  

Gametime hasn't been announced yet.  We should hear on Monday.

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I've always liked the Hyatt. They have kayaks that you can take on the water and it is close to everything except the stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Pretty sure you have to be a dues paying Texas Ex, but I haven't been there in over a decade.

Yeah, you have to have your alumni card & they give you a little sticker to wear on your shirt.  Silver Spurs are next door.  It's fun in that it's a cool building with a ton of giant TV's showing games.  It's insanely packed.  Using the bathroom is a testament in patience.  We always migrate to the back by the creek.  Grab a few beers and something to eat and relax.  Scholz's is more fun if you come from the east side by the parking garages anyway so I'd not loose any sleep over it if you miss.  

• Like 1

I haven’t been there yet, but the LBJ lawn seems like a family friendly set up for some pre game food, live music and beers. It’s a brand new set up this year. Alumni Center sounds like a nightmare. 

Also, I booked the brand new Fairmont for the USC game for $150/night on Hotwire. Quite nice. May have been a fluke, or maybe 1,000+ new rooms in downtown Austin has tipped the scales to a buyers market. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard