tell me about craigslist scams

So, I've been helping my kid look for a utility trailer.  Tons of ads on craigslist with stupid-low prices, usually with really odd numbers, like $763. or some shit.  

None have phone numbers, so I email them and say I'm interested in this trailer, where is it located, etc. 

Here are two responses from two different sellers on two different trailers. 

Hi again,

I got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Omaha, NE. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the trailer. It is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the selling price of the trailer ! You got 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name
-shipping address
-phone number
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details

Hi again,

I have the clear title and the bill of sale. All the paperwork notarized by a legal attorney are ready to be transferred under new owner's name. I also want to let you know that the price is firm, non negotiable $800.00. Right now I'm at Minot AFB in North Dakota, doing a special training and getting ready for my deployment to Syria. The trailer is already at the eBay warehouse, in San Jose, CA, sealed and ready to be delivered to your place in 2-3 days. The transaction will be done ONLY through eBay. They will handle the shipping, the payment and the paper exchange. By dealing through eBay, we are both covered 100% and nothing wrong can happen with my trailer or your money. You will benefit of free delivery (3 days top) and a 7 day period to test, inspect and accept the Cargo. Your money will stay in your possession and you won't release any payment to eBay until you inspect and accept the trailer.

If you're interested, please reply with your full name, shipping address and the best phone # where you can be reached at. I will forward your details to eBay and they will contact you with more info on how to purchase it and how to make the  payment.

Thank you!

Probably scams.  Minot AFB has deployed B-52s to Syria in the past but the service member eBay thing has been a scam forever. The other one too, probably.  

Yup.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Cargo-trailer-sale-scam/qaq-p/28561082

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

1 hour ago, CrownKing said:

You should offer to pay for the trailer with a cashiers check. 

And make sure you make the check out for a few thousand over the actual price.  The seller can then wire you the difference and take a little out for their trouble at the same time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

My last encounter with Craigslist scammers was on rental property. Thet listed properties at low prices, wanted a photo of my id and would mail me the keys after I sent the deposit. OK.

I had listed a mobile home, yes, a mobile home for sale in a VERY nice area of San Diego (Poway).  Some motherfucker advertised it on craigslist for rent. Said "we were gonna sell but we've decided to rent it if we find a good tenant".   Fortunately, the "mark" drove past it, and called me (my sign was out front).  They were pretty close to mailing a money order to some address in colorado for the security deposit and 1st month's rent because it was a cheap rental in a terrific community. 

• Like 1

Here's a typical ad  https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tro/d/2012-enclosed-trailer-cargo/6714176370.html  A trailer that's way underpriced and the text makes no fucking sense and includes a ton of other scammy shit.  

In good condition. Cash only! Phone calls only-if no answer please leave voice message. Great shape, has brand new tires and rims. No issues at all. Bought a new one so don't need this anymore.

For sale here is my coveted 1990 Nissan Silvia K's, imported from Japan in 2015. This is a real deal right hand drive, turbo Silvia, NOT a modified American 240SX. This car has low miles and is in a high-grade collectable condition. 

The car has absolutely no rust whatsoever. The frame rails and entire undercarriage are immaculate. The car has never seen snow or salt, and has only been in the rain a handful of times. This car has been pampered for its entire 28 year life, and looks as close to showroom new as you will find. Please read this ad thoroughly for details on the car.

No joy rides. Serious buyers only. If you do not have money to purchase this vehicle, do not waste my time. I am asking $13,900 or best offer.

Specs & Details
--------------------------------
• RHD imported from Japan in 2015
• Legally titled and registered
• Black paint / grey interior
• 50,000 original miles (reads 80,000 km on odometer)
• Engine is CA18DET (1.8L turbocharged & intercooled 4-cylinder)
• Transmission is 5-speed manual
• Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
• Entirely rust-free. Never seen salt or snow. Has only seen rain a handful of times.
• Extremely clean and rust-free Fram rails and undercarriage.

Condition & Maintenance
This car is 28 years old and in exceptional condition for it's age. It is a collectable car and has been treated as such for it's entire lifetime, and it shows inside and out. Photos do not do it justice.

• The car runs well and does not smoke. 
• The car has been maintained well for its entire lifetime.
• Motul engine oil is used and is religiously changed every 3,000 miles. 
• Blitz, Trust or OEM Nissan oil filters are used on each oil change.
• Proper maintenance is performed regularly and on schedule. 
• Suspension is in good condition and performs well.
• There is no unusual or unordinary lag in the turbo. 
• Intercooler performs well.
• All lights and indicators function properly.
• All gauges, speedometer and odometer function properly and are accurate.
• Air-conditioning works well and blows cold.
• Heater works well and blows hot.
• Automatic climate control works well.
• Paint is beautiful with only a few small blemishes. No dents or dings.
• Interior is in beautiful condition. No burns, tears, or heavy wear.
• Dashboard is beautiful with no cracks or rips.
• Driver's side floor mat is heavily worn, but all others are in very good condition.
• Trunk release cable needs to be fixed (can be opened with trunk key).
• Trunk carpet and original OEM under carpet board are present and in mint condition.
• No plastic trim or fasteners are missing from this vehicle anywhere.

Documentation & Records
------------------------------
Sale of this car will include:

• Original OEM Japanese Owner's Manual
• Original OEM Japanese Service Book
• Original OEM Japanese Optional Parts Book
• Original OEM Japanese Book/Manual Case
• Original OEM Keys (3 of them)
• Service records from Japan
• All service records from US (2015 through 2018)
• All documents from import to the US
• All federal and state inspection/validation records
• All documents from my purchase
• All appraisal documents from 2015
• All receipts from purchase of all aftermarket parts that are currently installed
• Other assorted documents and records from Japan and US

Modifications & Upgrades
The car is almost entirely stock except for a few aftermarket parts. No knock-off or replica parts were used here.

• Bride Zeta III Sport bucket seat (driver's side) w/ Bride side pad protectors
• Buddy Club sliding seat rail (driver's side)
• Nardi 330mm perforated leather steering wheel w/ working horn
• Tomei duracon (black) shift knob
• Fujitsubo "Prof Sports" 3" cat-back exhaust
• Dunlop 3-piece 15" x 7.5J offset +17 mesh wheels (RARE, from Japan, vintage 1982 production date). 
• Alpine CDE-143BT stereo
• Two (2) brand new Goodyear Eagle tires on front (estimated 500 miles used)
• Two (2) brand new Primewell tires on rear (estimated 500 miles used)

Also included in this sale are the original parts that were replaced with aftermarket. All of these parts are fully operational and in near-mint condition. With the car, you will receive:

• Original OEM steering wheel and horn 
• Original OEM driver's seat
• Original OEM shift knob
• Four (4) original OEM wheels and center caps w/ tires
• Original OEM radio/casette deck

On 9/30/2018 at 7:01 PM, Gil Bang said:
So, I've been helping my kid look for a utility trailer.  Tons of ads on craigslist with stupid-low prices, usually with really odd numbers, like $763. or some shit.  

None have phone numbers, so I email them and say I'm interested in this trailer, where is it located, etc. 

Here are two responses from two different sellers on two different trailers. 

Hi again,

I got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Omaha, NE. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the trailer. It is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the selling price of the trailer ! You got 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name
-shipping address
-phone number
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details

Hi again,

I have the clear title and the bill of sale. All the paperwork notarized by a legal attorney are ready to be transferred under new owner's name. I also want to let you know that the price is firm, non negotiable $800.00. Right now I'm at Minot AFB in North Dakota, doing a special training and getting ready for my deployment to Syria. The trailer is already at the eBay warehouse, in San Jose, CA, sealed and ready to be delivered to your place in 2-3 days. The transaction will be done ONLY through eBay. They will handle the shipping, the payment and the paper exchange. By dealing through eBay, we are both covered 100% and nothing wrong can happen with my trailer or your money. You will benefit of free delivery (3 days top) and a 7 day period to test, inspect and accept the Cargo. Your money will stay in your possession and you won't release any payment to eBay until you inspect and accept the trailer.

If you're interested, please reply with your full name, shipping address and the best phone # where you can be reached at. I will forward your details to eBay and they will contact you with more info on how to purchase it and how to make the  payment.

Thank you!

When i dealt with this in the past i would send them the FBI's # address  and random employee name of someone who worked in the building just for the giggles. 

• Haha 1

I emailed one for shits and giggles.  Here's the response:

Hi,
My name is Diane and I'm emailing you about my 2008 Cargo Pro Stealth-Lite 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. Black. Many desirable options not found on most trailers in this price range. All aluminum frame. Screw-less exterior panels. Upgraded 24" stoneguard. Aluminum wheels with spare mounted on interior wall. Stabilizer jacks; front and rear. LED lights. Interior dome light. Ramp door with spring assist and transition ramp. Drop axle. 6 interior tie down locations. Set up for 0, 1, or 2 motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, ranch equipment, side-by-sides, or even any kind of business, from construction, landscaping, or even moving and sales. The dimensions are as follows: (approximately) Rear opening 77"W x 74"H Interior space 16'L x 80"W x 80"H Between the wheel wells 71.5" Outside box measurements 200"L x 85"H Overall length 236" (w/tongue) x 104" overall height.  This trailer was built for a customer for his small mobile business.

The  price was reduced at $500 including delivery to your home address,  because I'm recently divorced, after the divorce I owned this trailer and I don't need it. I need to sell the trailer in maximum 2 weeks because I will leave the country for a year on military duty with my medical team and I do not want to store it.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Diane Baker

• 5 months later...

thanks for the full text Gil Bang, same email i got today in reply to an inquiry. thought it smelled fishy. without your post, i might have fallen for it. well, maybe. probably not. doubtful. there was after all, a reason i went looking for the info. scumbdog people. 😐