Cannabis 'more harmful than alcohol' for teen brains

phdhorn

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Being physically addicted to alcohol sucks donkey ass and is living hell.

The level of abuse has to be really high, but many many people reach that level.

Eh, it has to be really high compared to the amateur, part-time drinker, yes.  But stay boiled as an owl for any period of time greater than a couple of weeks and you are setting up for serious withdrawal if not the DTs outright.

Not to diminish your experience in any way, but also bearing in mind that you aren't that unique :):).

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh, it has to be really high compared to the amateur, part-time drinker, yes.  But stay boiled as an owl for any period of time greater than a couple of weeks and you are setting up for serious withdrawal if not the DTs outright.

Not to diminish your experience in any way, but also bearing in mind that you aren't that unique :):).

There have been times where I've stopped drinking for extended periods of time just to make sure I was keeping things in check and have confidence that I wasn't at any kind of dependence level (as well as being on medication that didn't play well with booze), and I can't even begin to imagine what staying drunk for a couple of weeks would be like.

That doesn't even sound fun, like at all.  

1 hour ago, KaiserSoze said:

Regarding marijuana dependency/addiction, etc. I smoked/vaped/edible'd it 3-5x/week for 8.5 straight beginning in my mid-30s. 7 months ago I stopped and can say the only side effects were...

1. A few nights or so of it taking a *little* longer to fall asleep, but nowhere near as long as it takes when stopping alcohol.

2. Weight gain. I ended up drinking more during the 7 months when I wasn't using weed. I never get the munchies from it and I don't drink much alcohol at all when I'm high, so I ended up consuming a lot more calories during the 7 months of no weed because I was drinking more.

Other than that there were zero side effects- no 'jonesing' for it or inability to concentrate/function at all... nothing. I got back into it 2 weeks ago and am loving it again, but it wasn't an issue at all to abstain. 

8.5 straight...months? Years?

Also, you say that you are loving it again. What does it do for you?

17 minutes ago, XYZ said:

8.5 straight...months? Years?

Also, you say that you are loving it again. What does it do for you?

8.5 years straight 3-5x/week. My favorite part about it is that my joints and bones feel better. Additionally I enjoy the "enhancement" of listening to music, tactile sensations, and flavors, laughing at little things that become hysterical when high, and generally just feeling all around comfortable. I don't get super high very often. Typically I have a couple of hits and leave it at that.... just keeping a nice low slow high for a while. It's also generally at the end of the day- not something I do during weekday hours.

...and  I like that "withdrawal" is negligible.

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There have been times where I've stopped drinking for extended periods of time just to make sure I was keeping things in check and have confidence that I wasn't at any kind of dependence level (as well as being on medication that didn't play well with booze), and I can't even begin to imagine what staying drunk for a couple of weeks would be like.

That doesn't even sound fun, like at all.  

It isn't.  Or it stops being so real quick and becomes nothing more than a coping mechanism.  And remember "boiled as an owl" has a different meaning for a daily-type drinker than a weekender.  That's from an AA story, btw.  One of the more colorful and amusing descriptions.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It isn't.  Or it stops being so real quick and becomes nothing more than a coping mechanism.  And remember "boiled as an owl" has a different meaning for a daily-type drinker than a weekender.  That's from an AA story, btw.  One of the more colorful and amusing descriptions.

I'm definitely putting it in the vernacular.

Although I'm not sure what the difference would be.  Just that you have a super high tolerance so you aren't stumbling around incoherent, but you're going through your entire life buzzed up with no reset to sober?

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm definitely putting it in the vernacular.

Although I'm not sure what the difference would be.  Just that you have a super high tolerance so you aren't stumbling around incoherent, but you're going through your entire life buzzed up with no reset to sober?

Pretty much yeah.  At some point, even while "functional," an alky probably has a shockingly high BAC, like en route to DWI, throughout the day.  Most people think they're righteously hungover, but the truth is they're still rolling.

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you have to ask....

I ask because I take cannabis occasionally, and it’s OK. I like the sleepiness. Other than that, not much in the way of good effects that could compel me to use it as frequently as KaiserSoze.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

I ask because I take cannabis occasionally, and it’s OK. I like the sleepiness. Other than that, not much in the way of good effects that could compel me to use it as frequently as KaiserSoze.

Well it was just sarcasm, but If it just makes you sleepy, maybe it's just not your cup of tea. 

As there are hundreds of strains out there, and they all conceivably affect you in different ways.  For me I like the buzz weed Brings.

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well it was just sarcasm, but If it just makes you sleepy, maybe it's just not your cup of tea. 

As there are hundreds of strains out there, and they all conceivably affect you in different ways.  For me I like the buzz weed Brings.

Agree, if that was the only benefit I got from weed, I wouldn't bother

10 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

Regarding marijuana dependency/addiction, etc. I smoked/vaped/edible'd it 3-5x/week for 8.5 straight beginning in my mid-30s. 7 months ago I stopped and can say the only side effects were...

1. A few nights or so of it taking a *little* longer to fall asleep, but nowhere near as long as it takes when stopping alcohol.

2. Weight gain. I ended up drinking more during the 7 months when I wasn't using weed. I never get the munchies from it and I don't drink much alcohol at all when I'm high, so I ended up consuming a lot more calories during the 7 months of no weed because I was drinking more.

Other than that there were zero side effects- no 'jonesing' for it or inability to concentrate/function at all... nothing. I got back into it 2 weeks ago and am loving it again, but it wasn't an issue at all to abstain. 

I get that it’s your reality, but using 3-5 times a week is not enough to speak to marijuana dependency.

If you were getting high multiple times a day to the extent that your identity was completely intertwined with marijuana usage, I’d put more stock in your experience as it relates to addiction/dependency. But it doesn’t sound like you had any addiction and or dependency issues, so I don’t know how you can speak to them. 

Edited by destroya

17 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

8.5 years straight 3-5x/week. My favorite part about it is that my joints and bones feel better. Additionally I enjoy the "enhancement" of listening to music, tactile sensations, and flavors, laughing at little things that become hysterical when high, and generally just feeling all around comfortable. I don't get super high very often. Typically I have a couple of hits and leave it at that.... just keeping a nice low slow high for a while. It's also generally at the end of the day- not something I do during weekday hours.

...and  I like that "withdrawal" is negligible.

This is how I use it, but less frequently than you.

I get snacky as all hell though, so it doesn't really serve as an effective alcohol replacement and I have to be fairly infrequent, or I would balloon.  I can easily eat more calories with weed than I'd drink.  Especially using it in a "night cap" kind of fashion where it's just replacing a drink or two on a week night, and not a night out on the weekend.