Media/$9.95-er postgame analysis articles (Week 11)

Machinator

(Ian Boyd) 5 Quick thoughts: Rock fight in Lubbock

It always has to be close. I don't know that I've ever seen a team that is less effective at putting opponents away. Tom Herman still seems to be adjusting to the fact that these Air Raid teams aren't going to play by conventional rules. They'll load the box and bring run blitzes, recklessly so even, and make you either score quickly and embrace the shootout nature of the game or else run into a mass of bodies a few times and then punt the ball back to them.

Of course, Herman's plan to run the ball and drain clock probably works fine if they don't botch the onside kick and aren't bleeding quality defensive backs and yardage on defense.

Both of these teams could use a bye week. Instead Texas Tech will have to press on in search of a sixth win to get them to bowl eligibility. Meanwhile the Longhorns are still alive in the Big 12 title hunt with a huge game in Austin next Saturday when fellow 5-2 Iowa State comes to town.

The Red Raiders gave Texas all they wanted, much like most every other team on the schedule, and the Longhorns delivered the winning punches so they move on and we'll get to see another big game next week at primetime.

Quick thought no. 1: Texas leaned on the same guys they've leaned on all year

We knew going into this game that with Collin Johnson out that Texas was going to need to lean on Lil'Jordan Humphrey. They did, with the big target producing eight catches for 159 yards and two touchdowns. That last one was a highlight play that Humphrey will always have featured in his reel as a Longhorn. Just another example of Sam Ehlinger throwing the ball up for him in man coverage and trusting the big guy to be the one that brings the ball in.

The announcers rightly noted that Tech DB Desmond Frye had a tough day trying to handle Humphrey (or anyone else) but Texas was also moving LJH all over the place to find favorable matchup and leverage. He played at Collin Johnson's X receiver spot where he did his share of damage (except on the double slants play where he was much less effective) and also at Z, H, and Y. Very impressive day for Humphrey, he's giving NFL scouts a lot to think about between his freakish physique, great routes, occasional circus catches, and then the overly frequent drops. Humphrey is a bell-cow this season, that was the second consecutive 100-yard day he's had and he's well on pace now for a 1k yard season.

Charles Omenihu was a constant problem for the Red Raiders and a significant factor in Texas' victory. I don't know if he finished the game with any sacks or not to add to his season total but he protected an increasingly diminishing secondary over the course of the game with some good edge pressures. He's the defensive MVP this season by a good margin thanks to Kris Boyd's sporadic play over on his island. Also a shoutout to Davante Davis, who's provided really good cloud coverage over the last year and a half and even better run support from that position. Particularly the smart forced fumble on Jett Duffey that proved essential to victory.

Finally, Sam Ehlinger was brilliant once again despite a highly effective Texas Tech pass-rush that gave Texas' protection schemes fits (they've done that to a lot of opponents, including OU) and the loss of his second favorite target. His scrambling late in the game had Tech beat and probably sets up a game-winning FG by Cameron Dicker (also a nice game) if he hadn't instead taken the TD pass to LJH.

If you remove the five sacks Tech landed that cost Texas 45 yards, Ehlinger ran the ball 10 times for 59 yards on top of his 22-34 day passing for 312 yards, four touchdowns, and another day of ZERO turnovers. Just as the Longhorns lost several close games due to turnovers they are winning them this year because they don't commit them.

Quick thought no. 2: The Texas D was being held together by duct tape at the end

Everyone is going to pile on to the defense for their performance in the fourth quarter of that game and there were certainly some bad things in there. Charles Omenihu has to stop incurring offsides penalties that give opponents free deep shots. Those have been devastating and did a lot of damage in this game and he doesn't need that step anyways, particularly when the opposing LT is beat up like Travis Bruffy was.

But Texas went into this game without Brandon Jones and finished it without Caden Sterns, Josh Thompson, or Davante Davis. In the crucial drives in which Texas Tech was tying the game Texas had Donovan Duvernay playing the nickel and Chris Brown back at safety with P.J. Locke while true freshman Anthony Cook manned a corner spot against the 6-6 T.J. Vasher.

That was a tough spot and Orlando started by dialing up pressures to try and shield them but Jett Duffey made some gutty plays and impressive throws and Kris Boyd got beat a fair few times by Antoine Wesley (8-171, 2 TDs). Later on Orlando tried to mix in bracket coverage only to see the middle of the field picked apart and finally Anthony Cook done in by a nice route from Vasher.

Texas was playing a decent game on defense until they came apart in the fourth quarter. The plan was evidently to play a lot of the 3-2-6 dime with B.J. Foster as the robber in the middle of the field. From that set Foster could help Wheeler liberally in the middle of the field concepts that served as an ATM for West Virginia the previous week. This game will be remembered differently now for the way the defense fell apart late. It's worth noting that Texas has had some tough times in Lubbock before traveling to that game with a beat-up secondary and the other notable occasions ended with losses. Also that it's extremely hard to play good pass defense late in a game against a team like that when you've got your third string nickel in the game and both starting safeties are out.

Quick thought no. 3: Kliff Kingsbury's Tech is a chippy bunch

You regularly find this team offering a fair number of cheap shots and borderline play. I don't know if any of the targeting calls on Riko Jeffers that were erased should have been enforced but it was notable that the dude seemed to be the culprit anytime something went down. The Red Raiders also made a practice of diving at Ehlinger's legs after nearly every throw. Some of that is probably a result of the way targeting is officiated but it all starts to add up after a while.

I don't know if Jett Duffey really tried to kick Kris Boyd after he took the ball away from him but games against this team in Lubbock for teams beyond Texas regularly seem to devolve into shoving matches and active officiating. Kingsbury regularly seems to cultivate a team that pushes the envelope in terms of play before and after the whistle. They're also playing a lot smarter and tougher though and should have had a better season than they did if not for bad injury luck.

Quick thought no. 4: Texas' run game is very close to being truly special

It was good in this game, to be sure. Keaontay Ingram was working the "Ingram cut" extremely well, in which he presses up to the line and cutback lane on tight zone only to dart laterally into the playside gap that LBs regularly yield while trying to track him. I've tried to diagram it for you...

image.png

...if you watch for it live I guarantee you'll see it. He pressed up to the line and then if the LBs commit too hard to the cutback lane then he's bouncing it back play side (opposite the TE) for what's often a big gain. Tre Watson has also started to execute the Ingram cut some, I believe that's a significant factor in his increased ypc totals in the last few weeks.

Ingram had 14 for 83 at 5.9 ypc and a score, Watson added 18-58 for 3.2. This run game is getting better and better and the OL was really driving the Red Raiders off the ball from early in the game. I think we're going to see this get better and better, pending Keaontay Ingram's health.

Also if you haven't noticed, Texas has been murdering teams with RPOs and play-action off the tight zone play. They're making the hitch to Devin Duvernay a regular feature to the run game, setting up the hitch and go that produced a TD in this game for Duvernay. This run game is regularly setting up the passing game to land haymakers because of the way defenses have to play it.

Quick thought no. 5: Health moving forward is the critical question

Well, Texas needs to instill carefully in their defenders not to leave their feet against Brock "pump fake" Purdy but the health of this team is probably at least concern 1A for this week of practice.

Caden Sterns might have gotten a concussion in this game, we'll have to wait to hear but he didn't return to the game so that's not a great sign. It's very difficult to get through the concussion protocol in time to make a game seven days later. Brandon Jones' health is still undetermined but obviously he didn't play this week. Josh Thompson didn't finish this game and neither did Davante Davis. Breckyn Hager did but he's obviously somewhat limited, Malcolm Roach seems to be back which couldn't be more timely.

On offense we don't know yet how long Collin Johnson will be out and Ingram took a helmet to an exposed kidney against Riko Jeffers (who else) and was in obvious pain on the sideline before disappearing and not returning to the game.

Iowa State has the best defense in the Big 12 by a pretty safe margin and while they may or may not have David Montgomery against Texas after he was ejected for trying to land a (well deserved) punch against a Baylor boxer, they'll have their improving young OL and QB along with Hakeem Butler and some other talented skill players regardless. Texas needs that win and they need to be as healthy as possible to get it.

So keep your ears peeled for health updates because this next game will be a real fight.

• Like 1

Inside Texas Offensive Report Card---TTU

It's the time of year that bumps and bruises turn into a gut check strung together with duct tape and bailing wire. It's the same old story---the mind's willing but the body says "not so fast" too often. We kept putting willing teammates out there and we get their best shot regardless of age or experience. It's a fun offense to watch. They deserve credit for their combined efforts. Hats off to the good guys---they are keeping us in the title chase.

Here are the grades:

11---Sam---B+

5---Watson---B+

26---Ingram---B+

6---Duvernay---A-

13---Heard---B+

82---Eagles---B

84---Humphrey---A-

47---Beck---B

80---Brewer---B

52---Cosmi---A-

56---Shack---B+

66---Anderson---C+

72---Rodriguez---B

77---Vahe---B

Epps (85) had a big catch to keep a drive alive.

Sam (11) ran himself into two sacks. Letter perfect on most every other play.

Watson (5) continues to get the little things done but had problems with pass blocking this week.

Ingram (26) is not the average frosh---he's a big time winner despite not having breakaway speed.

Duvernay (6) is the most unsung offensive player. He's quietly put together a huge season for being the third receiving option (at best) on this team.

Heard (13) brought his best effort to the game. He definitely answered the bell when we called his number.

Humphrey (84) dropped a gimme before half. He might have done a few positives before and after. If LJH stays we gain a first round draft choice---similar to Ricky staying for Mack back in the day.

Beck (47) had two uncharacteristic drops but did catch a crucial 4th down pass. Blocking remains top notch.

Cosmi (52) is some kind of athletic OL that always seems to the right thing at the right time. If you catch the end of most plays you will find Sam sprinting to ball. The best part of watching Sam is the smoothness with which he has dominated his assignment and the fun he exhibits along the way.

Shack (56) had a really nice game with run blocking---two pass breakdowns kept this from being a big time game for Shack. Snaps once again strong---calls were right on the money.

Vahe (77) had another above average effort---he sometimes struggles in space (pulls, pass pro) but he wins many more battles than he loses.

Anderson (66) had his worst game this year (by far). I have to believe he has physical problems but tried to play thru them. Two sacks allowed, one holding call, several pressures, and some run beats made up an unusual effort this week.

Rodriguez (72) whiffed one pass pro and combined with Shack to bust a NT assignment (both thought the other had primary on the NT) but overall played solid.

I appreciate Danny Young. Third string RB but always gives quality effort. The old adage "he stays ready to keep from getting ready" certainly applies to Mr. Young.

Iowa State is a well coached bunch on defense. Tough bunch. Heal up and get ready for a 60 minute battle.

My grading system is based on total points earned against number of plays played. The points are awarded individually on each and every separate play. There are five different possible grades for each play. Players may earn a plus three (3) for a five star type play—-plus two (2) for above average execution—-plus one (1) for doing their job successfully—-zero (0) for getting beat but knowing and attempting their assignment—-and minus 3 (-3) for a missed assignment.

Each player has a total number of points and a total number of his own individual plays. You divide the total number of plays into the total number of points which gives you scale. The grading scale is as follows:

Any player averaging one point per play (1.0) grades out a B which is winning football. If a player plays 60 plays with 60 total points he would earn a passing grade—each point he goes over the total number of plays raises his grade accordingly. The system is built around rewarding any player that doesn’t beat himself or his team with mental mistakes.

The system also punishes any player that knows what to do but loses too many individual battles. If a player plays 60 plays but loses 10 of those with zero special plays (60 plays—50 points) he falls below the 1.0 needed for a passing grade of B.

I use the plus/minus (A-, B+, etc,) when the numbers indicate a partial add or subtract from the grade. This system was used by my first coaching staff and I kinda carried it with me for thirty years—it’s not perfect but it gives the position coach a measuring stick for his individual players.

The only way to earn the highest grade of A is to play a perfect game. I’ve had exactly zero up to right now so great games still can be better so A- is a very popular second best. This system and my grades will always be subjective filled with agree and disagree opinions. It’s entirely fair for disagreement (without it we might not have horse races) but it’s important to remember that each play only counts once instead of allowing a big mistake to have major influence on an individual’s final grade.

Inside Texas Defensive Report Card---TTU

One of life's mysteries is how do you make a cheerful read when the hand you are dealt is a straight running fold at best? We don't make excuses in this program so injuries matter not. It's next man up in this program. They are all coached the same. I see many similarities. What I don't see is player competition for tackles. I don't see players running thru blocks with nasty on their minds. I don't see ball skills or the urge to fight for the ball often enough. I see too many guys pull up without letting it all hang out. This defense is not fun to watch. 

Turnovers won this game and our offense won this game. We tried to give it away. One interception and two QB strips made the trip worthwhile. Watching Charles Omeninhu (90) play the game is fun. He basically was our rush. Caden Sterns (7) was enjoyable until he found the twilight zone. Chris Nelson (97) destroyed Tech's backup center but was limited in pursuit. DaVante Davis (18) had several huge plays including the GL tackle before his oskie (pick). Malcolm Roach (32) gave us quality downs mixed with not so much's. Running out of solids real quick here.

Here are the grades:

90---Omenihu---A-

44---Hager---B

49---Graham---B-

32---Roach---B+

97---Nelson---B

94---Wilbon---B

23---McCulloch---C

33---Johnson---C+

45---Wheeler---C-

2---Boyd---C

4---Cook---B-

7---Sterns---B+

11---Locke---B

15---Brown---C+

18---Davis---B+

25---Foster---B-

29---Thompson---C

Omenihu (90) is our best defensive player. His stop on the 4th down sneak was athletic as hell. Baller. 

Hager (44) made two plays but was obviously hurting. 

Graham (49) was disappointing in pass rush finishing. He's not letting it all hang out. 

Nelson (97) was terrific in stacking furniture on the 4th down sneak. Tech is hurting for a second center.

McCulloch (23) played poorly. Lost contain, poor angles, and missed assignments. Sad. 

Johnson (33) has too many responsibilities and assignments. He acts confused until he finds the ball. Then he's back to being Gary. 

Wheeler (45) made several tackles at the third/fourth level. He got blocked back to the third level too often. Tech's first two offensive plays pretty much describe Wheeler's entire game. Unbelievable how he keeps his job. 

Boyd (2) was aces and spaces but mostly spaces. His best play (QB strip) was accented with a selfish unsportsman's like penalty at the end. He made several big hit tackles but just as many not our standards also.

Cook (4) was solid in coverage and tackling.

Sterns (7) had his best game going (of the last five) until he rang his bell on the sideline. We missed him in our next man up program. 

Locke (11) played his best game in forever. He still had a couple of diving "fly by's" but until he hurt his toe was pretty solid in coverage and tackling. 

Brown (15) is still a big hitter but it's the part of getting to the tackle that confuses him. 

Davis (18) had a game worth remembering with an interception, a strip fumble recovery, a GL open field tackle, and saved the best for last---a tone setting big hit message right in front of our bench. DD lit up a WR in the flat with a Westbrook like running start. Yes sir.

Foster (25) had a few good tackles but coverages and angles still have his number. The closer Foster is to the LOS the better I like him. 

Thompson (29) had too many bad plays. He has a long way to go---athletic yes, football player, not yet. 

You may disagree big time on the following but I have some strong opinions that I choose to mention at the end of this whatever. 

We need a LB coach that can improve the player from where he starts out until success has merit with his play on the field. The one we have has failed big time in his position coaching. Improvement hasn't been noted on the field---if anything the entire group is trending backwards. 

We need to reevaluate our coverage skills. We are not breaking on enough balls. We don't exhibit common sense alignments with respect to down and distance in reference with the play-call. Full out blitzes just don't gee-haw with backed off alignments in the secondary. 

We have done an injustice to teaching contain, force, and turning the ball back into the pursuit program wide on defense. Our kids are not playing smart sound football and the people making decisions have not encouraged them well enough to affect change. 

We may not have good enough players to be an elite defense. That's fair. It's also fair to say we have not made many position players show improvement over a nine game span. 

I'm done.

• Like 1

You may disagree big time on the following but I have some strong opinions that I choose to mention at the end of this whatever. 

We need a LB coach that can improve the player from where he starts out until success has merit with his play on the field. The one we have has failed big time in his position coaching. Improvement hasn't been noted on the field---if anything the entire group is trending backwards. 

We need to reevaluate our coverage skills. We are not breaking on enough balls. We don't exhibit common sense alignments with respect to down and distance in reference with the play-call. Full out blitzes just don't gee-haw with backed off alignments in the secondary. 

We have done an injustice to teaching contain, force, and turning the ball back into the pursuit program wide on defense. Our kids are not playing smart sound football and the people making decisions have not encouraged them well enough to affect change. 

We may not have good enough players to be an elite defense. That's fair. It's also fair to say we have not made many position players show improvement over a nine game span. 

Hmmm...

Oscar Giles - Defensive Line

Craig Naivar - Special Teams Coordinator/Safeties

Todd Orlando - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Jason Washington - Recruiting Coordinator/Cornerbacks

(Scipio Tex) Texas-Texas Tech Post-Mortem: Offense

The Longhorns put up 41 points in Lubbock despite surrendering a season worst 5 sacks; Sam Ehlinger set the Big 12 record for consecutive attempts without an interception, further cementing himself as a damn good Longhorn QB and a bona fide winner who has grown more than any player in the program; the staff offset a couple of uninspired second half booth series with some terrific play calls and big picture decisions; and LJH and Duvernay combined for four touchdowns catches, mercilessly exploiting IT's pre-game identified weakness of Tech's cornerback play. 

The Horns scored on 7 of 10 real possessions, won time of possession again, and came through with 92 and 75 yard touchdown drives in the 4th quarter to stave off a furious Red Raider rally against a depleted and pitiful Texas defense. Texas was 10 of 17 on "money downs" and while Tech's defense was a major contributor to that statistic, Sam made some phenomenal throws and the staff did their part by trusting their playmakers. 

The 4th down calls and game-winning play particularly pleased me. Not because of results, which were all positive, but because of the process. 

In the first half, 4th and 4 on the Tech 43, Herman kept the Texas offense on the field and Sam delivered an absolute strike to Andrew Beck through a three inch window for a new set of downs. That drive later resulted in a Cameron Dicker field goal. Too many coaches early in the game on the road take a chicken**** delay of game penalty, punt the ball (usually ends up a touchback anyway) and play the illusion of field position advantage over the guaranteed higher percentage mathematics of going for it inside the opponent's no-man's land. Props to Tom for favoring math over conventional hooplehead wisdom. 

The other key 4th down call came on the Tech goal line with Texas leading 17-10. Texas was unable to convert three downs from the Tech two yard line and rather than turn 4th and 1 into a sure two score lead at 20-10 with a Cameron Dicker field goal, Herman went for it and the staff made a terrific play action call from the Pistol showing a pure power look that screamed run all the way. Sam hit Devin Duvernay in the end zone with an accurate strike. Ballsy call. 

My final big picture praise for this staff and Herman came with the game tied on the Tech 29 yard line and 28 seconds left on the clock. Far too many coaches center the ball (taking a loss of two or three yards as the defense brings 8 in the box deliberately attacking the hash you want to get to), run the clock down to three seconds, take the timeout, and put the entire game on a freshman college kicker from 46-49 yards out. 

Running the time for three or four potential plays off of the clock while you're outside of high probability make range for field goals is a huge pet peeve of mine and absolutely chicken**** football. The Jeff Fisher/Jason Garrett school of coaching. I see it in college and in the NFL every weekend. It's really a way for a head coach to deflect responsibility and control to a kicker in a tough situation and then shrug when it doesn't go their way, pretending they did everything right. Bull****. When you have ample time on the clock, a guaranteed coverage from a desperate defense and your #1 wide receiver is absolutely eating the cornerback alive, you take a shot to the end zone or at least take the easy candy of a 10-12 yard stop route to increase the field goal make likelihood by 25%. Herman did it right. Game, blouses.

OL

On review, I think Tech dialed in on a couple of our protections and exploited them nicely with their blitzes and some line games. A couple of Texas' five surrendered sacks were more on Sam or the protection than the OL, but Calvin Anderson and E-Rod had their toughest games of the season as they got busted straight up by Tech pass rushers. Anderson is either hurt or has lost too much weight and strength over the course of the season because he just can't anchor properly against a really determined bull rush. He gave up 1.5 sacks, a tackle for loss across his face, had a holding call. E-Rod got beaten badly for a sack by a stubby fat guy who needed oxygen every time he ran three plays in a row, gave up two pressures and got stood up on some inside zone runs. 

The rest of the OL played passably (Vahe - also gave up a sack on a botched protection) to well (Shack, Cosmi). Cosmi continues to be the best player on the OL. Very, very good player. 

WR/TE 

Before I get to heaping praise on LJH, let's take a moment to appreciate the second straight week of excellent play from Devin Duvernay and the clutch off-the-bench performance from senior Jerrod Heard. Duvernay had his second double move TD in as many weeks and scored on a 4th and 1 near the goal line. He continues to do work on that little hitch route when he's single covered. He's now instantly squaring up after the catch and running through arm tackles, allowing the play to go for 15 yards instead of 8. He looks like a football player right now. 

Heard provided some great possession receiver catches (with one drop) and showed out with six catches overall. Chain mover on some key third downs. Really proud of him. 

LJH dominated despite two drops and a bad route on a clear Tech blitz when he lost his mind with respect to the game situation. Anyway, he kind of made up for it. Tech's cornerbacks couldn't compete with him on jump balls and they couldn't get him on the ground when he caught it in front of them. 8-159-2 is a full day's work and LJH is now on the verge of a 1,000 yard receiving season. 

Beck had a key 4th down catch, but his run blocking was average.

QB 

Since OU, the coaching staff has let Sam play without a bridle and Ehlinger has rewarded that trust with excellent play. Tech was no different. He went 22 of 34 for 312 yards and 4 touchdowns and no turnovers and ran the ball effectively. With four receiver drops. In the second half, Ehlinger was 12 of 19 for 180 yards and we probably left some yards out on the field being a little stubborn in the run game. A couple of his sacks were regrettable where he should have lived for another day, but on review he did exactly the right thing or had no clear safe option on the others. When Sam has instant interior pressure without a clear window to sail it out of bounds or into an area bereft of defenders, he must absolutely take the sack instead of surrendering a potential blind Pick 6. Reading the game comments, people made it seem as if all five sacks were on him. Relax. 

I can't believe some of the throws Sam made in this game. Back shouldering Epps and LJH, throwing darts on 3rd down blitzes, dropping the ball into buckets on the deep sideline, nice touch on dig routes and RB releases. Apparently ACL joint rehab is good for your accuracy. Also worth noting that we've thrown some of our trash routes out of the playbook. 

#11 has leveled up. 

RB

Sometimes the staff thinks the best way to hammer a nail through an iron crossbeam is with a flip flop. There's an element of persistence to the running game that's important as it pays dividends later, but we had some 2nd half possessions where we were a little too stubborn, particularly given how well Sam was playing and how badly the Longhorn defense was caving. It's great to go 8 of 15 on 3rd down. It's much better not to be in third down at all. Given how Sam protects the ball and his efficacy at QB, the best response to an outnumbered front when the Red Raiders are trying a desperation rally is to play Canadian football. To the staff's credit, that's what they did with the LJH TD toss. 

Within that context, I thought both Watson and Ingram played well. They combined for 32 carries for 141 yards rushing. We'll need their toughest, most persistent running next Saturday. 

Final 

Iowa State has the best defense in the conference by a wide margin. They'll watch how we handled some of our line protections, instill awareness on some of the guessing you can do on our running game, and note Anderson's play against power with some interest. They'll have something for us in Austin. UT fans will get to witness the wonder of a defense playing together as if they actually know what the guy next to them is doing on any given play (their defense plays with...responsibilities!) and real live linebackers in action. 

Given the state of the Longhorn defense, the Longhorn staff will have to treat every possession with the aggression they demonstrated on their successful 4th down calls and the game-winner to LJH. 

7-3 is fun. 8-3 and a continued stake in the Big 12 title race is something better than fun. It's relevance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

I still think adding a dedicated tackling coach, like what Cal has, would be effective. Cal's defense has been really good this year, an anomaly for Cal's usual defensive standards.

Cal has a HC who was known as an above average DC, their DC is a known top tier DC. Cal is playing tough, good defense because it has above average defensive coaches leading this team. TO fancies himself of that ilk, he has not proven it yet. I don't think he is top tier but he is a good coach. We do have two below average recruiters on the defensive side of the ball though.

(Scipio Tex) Texas-Texas Tech Post-Mortem: Defense/Special Teams

Texas Tech QB Jett Duffey wins the prestigious Fitzpatrick/Winston Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Production Paired With Multiple Boneheaded Turnovers In The Red Zone. The preseason 3rd string QB for the Red Raiders amassed 524 yards of offense (444 throwing, 80 rushing) while also coughing up the ball three times deep inside the Texas Longhorn 19 yard line. One was a prime example of bad ball security (is running at a tackler with the ball held out towards them good?) and the Davante Davis interception was a gift from a panicking QB. The Davante Davis strip from behind was heady defense paired with bread loaf ball security. Tech going for it on their 38 yard line on 4th and 1 running a QB sneak behind their back-up center directly at Chris Nelson was...odd. Kliff lost his mind there. I consider that possession basically a Tech turnover and a gift. 

The staff might try to sell to the media that this turnover generation was a feature not a bug (the plan was to buckle down in the red zone and force turnovers!) but Tech's stunted scoring before their 4th quarter explosion was largely self-inflicted. They were moving up and down the field at will. 

The Texas defense has now surrendered 500+ yards in three consecutive games and is surrendering over 6 yards per play against Big 12 opponents. That is bad. Even if you throw out the 4th quarter featuring the walking wounded secondary with the other brother Duvernay, Brown, Cook, Evil Kris Boyd, a fat guy in a lawn chair and a bulldog riding a skateboard, I saw enough in my re-watch to know this defense is still broken.

9 of Tech's 11 real possessions went for 48 yards or more. Texas forced one punt. 

Defense is built around clear responsibilities, cohesion and playing as a unit. We feature 11 islands each running to spots. It's Battleship Football with Todd Orlando calling out random locations hoping to get a submarine hit and a GA up in the booth putting red tacks on the coordinates. 

We allowed the only throws Duffey can make and we continue to double down on the same bad habits. I'd at least like the novelty of new mistakes. We're atrocious in almost every fundamental aspect of positional play and while we like to blame youth for our woes, BJ Foster, Caden Sterns and Anthony Cook exhibited more fundamental play in this game than their senior cohorts. 

DL 

Omenihu played really well outside of his offsides penalties, which inspired Duffey to test Boyd on free deep shots. Those didn't turn out well. Roach is getting back into the groove of things playing himself back into shape and both he and an injured Hager played acceptably, but the predictability of our DL disposition means you can minimize their impact as an offensive coordinator. Chris Nelson beat up the Tech back-up center, but our inability to keep Duffey contained in the pocket meant he had no chance to get home since Jett just scooted around the end. We tried a few snaps with Graham at NT and he didn't really seem to get what was needed from him. 

There really wasn't a coherent plan for containing Duffey in the pocket married to our coverages. Neither against the ball control offense that Tech ran early or the deep shot attack they featured late. 

The DL is actually pretty talented, but we've turned them into pawns to eat blockers while we pretend that our blitzing linebackers or safeties are queens and bishops. 

LB

They played hard terribly. If that makes sense. Tech attacked them early and often with their RBs in the passing game as they accumulated an incredible 13 RB catches and moved the chains for 10 of 15 3rd down conversions and 595 yards of offense. They're irrelevant extra bodies standing in no man's land on passing downs unless we guess right on a delay blitz and their futility on running downs or defending a screen is now a given. 

DB 

Boyd exhibited no situational awareness and got thoroughly used by Antoine Wesley for 100 yards of 4th quarter yards on 2 catches. In my preview, I warned that Boyd had to do his work early against a big receiver like Wesley and he proceeded to allow free releases on 90% of Wesley's routes. Watching Michael Griffin marvel at his inability to properly recover against a ball in the air on a go route (hint: keep running and close distance, don't half hop while reaching an arm up) in the postgame LHN was amusing. Boyd did have an opportunistic strip on Duffey when Jett wrong-handed the ball on the sideline. 

To PJ Locke's credit, he brought heavy contact on several tackles and didn't give up any deep balls. The muffed onside kickoff was a tough deal. He played average, which means it was arguably his best game of the year. 

Davante played really well before going out - two turnovers and five tackles, two TFL. Tough break for #18.

Anthony Cook does some good things and is really in tune with the game given his lack of experience. A tough 4th and 10 PI call in the 4th quarter on the Tech 39 yard line hurt his game grade. 

Caden Sterns was playing well (7 tackles, 2 PBUs) until he got lit up the Tech RB on the sideline. If we're going to play Every Man An Island defense, this island at least exhibits some native instincts and range. Tech was his ideal opponent. Iowa State will treat him less kindly unless we commit to playing him deep backing whoever covers Butler. 

Josh Thompson was a tough watch for the second week in a row. He's not very interested in the job that we ask of him right now. 

There's probably a role for Chris Brown in a coherent defense where he can act as a general clean up guy and run enforcer. In our Aleutian Islands defense, he's just another guy looking to get exploited in space 1 on 1. 

There were a few 4th quarter sequences late where Texas dropped eight into coverage. With eight in coverage and four Tech receivers on routes and a RB in the flat or pass blocking, Duffey found receivers multiple times 12-25 yards downfield with no Texas defenders within five yards. If we directed our defense to simply man up across the board and then play quarters behind them with four de facto safeties spaced across the field like tripwires with orders to stay on top of deep routes, keep eyes on the QB and close to the ball, an intermediate route in the middle of the field isn't possible without an Aaron Rodgers throw as three DBs collide into the pass catcher, but where there's a will, there's a way. This is a concept that could be imparted to a group of 12 year olds in a backyard in about thirty minutes. I'm not sure what the disconnect is. 

Special Teams

Terrific job by Cameron Dicker converting from 52 and 46 on the road. He also made a great tackle on a Tech kickoff return. Bujcevski punted acceptably again, averaging 42.7 per kick. 

Tough onside play to Locke. 

Final 

The defense is busted and it's probably not getting rehabbed this late unless Brock Purdy will play like a freshman for this first time this season in front of a big crowd in Austin. The 4th quarter injuries exacerbated our issues greatly and I'm happy to give a free pass on several plays, but youth isn't why Tech was hitting Antoine Wesley for 57 and 43 yard completions late.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Orlando kind of has a Carl Reese-stubborn feel to him.  Damnit that square peg is going to fit in this round hole, because it fit in all those square holes.  

That's not just an Orlando thing, that's a Tom Herman thing. And many other coaches, unfortunately.

It's tough to feel great about Saturday knowing how lucky we were to win. When you force just one punt all game and give up 34 points despite a +3 turnover margin... it says really bad things about the defense.

I honestly believe if we replay TTU multiple times, they win more often than we do. And it's probably why S&P bumped them up 7 spots, while we only went up by 1.

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's tough to feel great about Saturday knowing how lucky we were to win. When you force just one punt all game and give up 34 points despite a +3 turnover margin... it says really bad things about the defense. 

I honestly believe if we replay TTU multiple times, they win more often than we do. And it's probably why S&P bumped them up 7 spots, while we only went up by 1. 

I am shocked you're pessimistic about our next game. SHOCKED, I tell you.

ISU should be tough but I'm thinking we get our usual home bump and Purdy comes down to earth a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Is half our starting defense out in these replays? 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Whew, it is a good thing we only have to win the one game that matters, would hate to see how our season turned out in the other 10,000 simulations. I'm really glad that the S&P loves the fact that Tech torched Donovan Duvernay, Chris Brown, PJ Locke (playing out of position), Josh Thompson (who got hurt and isn't a starter to begin with), and Anthony Cook. Not to mention Chris Nelson was out for much of the 4th quarter and Breckyn Hager was banged up. I think that covers about half our defense.

I'm sure the sooners feel really bad that the Oklahoma State kicker missed an extra point that lead to Oklahoma State going for 2 and missing an open receiver, both of which quite possibly could have resulted in a 1 point win for Oklahoma State. WVU was also lucky that Sam Ehlinger's helmet came off on a crucial 4th down play, or that we got called on for offensive PI on a pick play that resulted in a TD, or that Tom Herman called timeout on a WVU missed FG. I'm sure WVU didn't feel great at all after that win.

Defense against Tech thru the first 3 quarters gave up 325 yards and gave up 270 in the 4th quarter. Similar meltdown as the Oklahoma game except this one was due more to the fact that we had guys dropping left and right on defense, and they recovered an onside kick that they launched off Locke which gave them an extra possession. Shit happens.

I'll take 7-3, Tech can have 5-5

Edited by Texas25

You must be one miserable human being to so god damn pessimistic all the time. All wins aren't going to be pretty. Idc if they win 3-0 or 100-99 a win is a fucking win. 

The great thing about being a pessimist and the bad thing happens, you live it twice. Once when you worry about it, and the second time when it happens. Twice the misery!

I was trying to think of anything we do well on defense.  I'm struggling.  Nelson holds his ground against double teams... He doesn't provide Poona's disruption, but he's competent most games.  Charles O. sometimes disrupts... I'm struggling after that... Davante may have unfucked himself from early in the year, but now he's hurt...