Tulane @ Houston

TexasMan

Just now, Huckleberry said:
8 minutes ago, Texas25 said:
Andre Ware?

Ware was not their highest pick. Klingler was one spot higher and they had two guys a long time ago who were #5 overall.

I'm saying in terms of brand and who you think of when you think of Houston football. Andre Ware was taken 7th overall and won the Heisman. Either way, good for Major for showing some balls and establishing a culture. Ed Oliver thinks he is bigger than the program and he isn't, not even close.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No way Ware was nearly as highly recruited as Oliver was, and I could see Oliver going higher than #7. 

Regardless, he wasn't a bigger face of the program than Andre Ware and he isn't bigger than the program.  That's silly.  He's also working on getting drafted below that 7 slot.  He should kill at the combine or pro day but his year has definitely tarnished his stock a tad.

4 hours ago, hollywood1053 said:

Why can't Houston draw a better crowd?

Bandwagon “fans” that only show up when Houston is ranked. People are more into NFL there. Also, there’s 8 million people living within 100 miles of the stadium yet UH can’t muster 40k to a football game. As someone who briefly attended UH I can vouch for this. Also, I noticed that around campus you’ll see more students wearing  UT, Tech and aggy shirts instead of UH shirts. Therefore, they ain’t gotta fan base.

Houston's a really fucked up college football town. Before the Oilers came around, the whole city rallied around Rice, which is why they have a gigantic, magnificent stadium. And then the Oilers came up and everyone forgot about Rice, so that stadium has been almost empty for a half-century, and games there are horrible to attend. There's just no atmosphere, even if you have incredible sight lines, and you do. It's like watching practice. 

UH has migrated around town stadium-wise, from campus to the Dome and back to campus, and most of the students are either first-gen Americans or dropouts from other major schools. Nobody ever grows up dreaming about going to UH the way Horns do or ags do or whatever. Nobody has the Cougar fight song imprinted on their soul. Do they even have one? 

I once pulled for them occasionally because I am from Houston and was absolutely a fan of the Phi Slamma Jamma hoops teams, but ever since they've left me sour. Aggy Lite, kinda. Obsessed with UT. Bleachergate. Fertitta. Whatever. 

The Oliver thing is a bit of an outlier but a signal of things to come: badasses at shitty football schools will be shutting it down earlier and earlier in the season, because, why not? 

UH outkicked their coverage landing him from the beginning....What does he have to gain for playing for them now?

50 minutes ago, NowThis said:

NFL early exits are beginning to have an impact on the quality of play.

Most people go to college to improve their chances of getting a good job, so...

Perhaps colleges are victims of their own success.

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The Oliver thing is a bit of an outlier but a signal of things to come: badasses at shitty football schools will be shutting it down earlier and earlier in the season, because, why not? 

UH outkicked their coverage landing him from the beginning....What does he have to gain for playing for them now?

They certainly landed out of their league...and your last question is unfortunately accurate and his actions will have nil to do with the NFL.  

2 hours ago, BossHawg said:

They certainly landed out of their league...and your last question is unfortunately accurate and his actions will have nil to do with the NFL.  

You already have Bosa withdrawing from school to rehab and get ready for the draft. So is isnt just shitty football schools, it’s all if the schools.

And you can also bet not a single one of them is scared to do a back room deal and hire an agent. The NCAA is toothless and the players are gaining power.

And lastly Hoolihan passed a couple of days ago. The fucking crime lord behind the bowl cronies. And the real reason we have this dumb ass four team, as opposed to an eight team playoff where games would be played on campus. So those bowl cocksuckers hopefully will lose that angle as well as control of their free labor in the near future. Those guys fucked over both the sport and the fans with their greed