william goldman has died

henrygandorf

You know the results of the latest Gallup Poll? Half the country never even heard of the word Watergate. Nobody gives a shit. You guys are probably pretty tired, right? Well, you should be. Go on home, get a nice hot bath. Rest up... 15 minutes. Then get your asses back in gear. We're under a lot of pressure, you know, and you put us there. Nothing's riding on this except the, uh, first amendment to the Constitution, freedom of the press, and maybe the future of the country. Not that any of that matters, but if you guys fuck up again, I'm gonna get mad. Goodnight.

• Like 1

Just saw this thread. Yeah, what a force to lose. Obviously, princess bride is about as beloved as anything in out generation (and the first book I ever read in one sitting back in middle school or so), but Boys and Girls Together is a goddamn masterpiece. And his first two books were great too, especially Your Turn to Curtsy, My Turn to Bow. 

(disclosure, I only know the cadence of his books from Wikipedia). 

He was incredibly prescient with all the king's men - I've watched it at least five times since our current dipshit in Chief was elected. 

And if you have any aversion to dentist visits, never watch marathon man. 

• Fuck You 1

his nonfiction books on screenwriting are required reading for anyone near the business, and very entertaining for everyone else.

adventures in the screen-trade and which lies did i tell are both great, and they roll through his projects one by one.  they are very non-technical, and provide a pretty fucking awesome look at the behind the scenes from the writer's perspective.

i've never really come across anyone whose brain worked like his, and that's not even including his actual screenplays (3-4 of which are oscar worthy).  as mentioned, "boys and girls together" is wonderful.  he's also the reason i ordered and read "the day they stole the mona lisa", which you'll understand once you get reading.