2018 regular season review

Hagbard Celine

13 minutes ago, thepop said:

Every single person on this board would have taken 9-3 with win over OU. Big success as far as I’m concerned. Everything after this is bonus.

This is the University of Texas man. We should win or be in strong contention for the Super Bowl every fucking year, no excuses.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:19 PM, thepop said:

Every single person on this board would have taken 9-3 with win over OU. Big success as far as I’m concerned. Everything after this is bonus.

On 11/23/2018 at 4:39 PM, ckhorn said:

A if we win this week.

B If we lose.

We are headed in the right direction. Depending on who we lose early in the draft. We should have a similar season next year.

I'm between these. The former is generally true, and I'm certainly not going to be disappointed in this season regardless of how it ends, but two of those three losses are bad losses by any metric. Maryland was and remains downright inexplicable and embarassing. I actually predicted a loss at OSU at the start of the season, and losing at Stillwater isn't a mortal sin even when the Pokes are average like they are this year, but the way the game was lost makes it pretty bad as well. WVU stung but sometimes you lose close games to good teams.

Overall, for this season to be considered a resounding success, we need to go out and win the conference on Saturday. Otherwise it is a step in the right direction with a couple of WTF losses and a missed opportunity at real hardware hanging over it.

It was a great season regardless how Saturday goes.  Obviously it'd be an amazing season if we win on Saturday.  Worst case, we're looking at the Alamo bowl against probably the Utah/Washington loser.  Best case, it's the Sugar bowl against Georgia and a Big 12 title.

Funny factoid: we could've lost to Tech or Kansas and we still would've appeared in the CCG due to conference tiebreaker rules.