Texas OL vs Georgia D: toughest job on the field

sushihorn

I will just add that the keys for the Georgia defense are going to look very different for this game than what they've seen this year.  RPO where both option are a real threat for example.  Motion to an empty backfield with a read on the box count determining whether the play is a quick screen to a fast RB or QB draw isn't something they've seen much either.  As much as we bitch about underused the RBs are in the passing game, we use them twice as often as most SEC teams.  It just looks small compared to OU and Tech.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

As much as we bitch about underused the RBs are in the passing game, we use them twice as often as most SEC teams.  It just looks small compared to OU and Tech.

Salient point. We also frequently underuse them because Big 12 hybrid safety/LBs are not as susceptible to the aforementioned wheel routes, just as an example. You don't frequently see Watson going out being covered by a 245 pound linebacker.

Probably talking out of my ass, but DL controlling blockers and allowing LB’s to read and attack gaps seems ripe for sweep and reverse action paired with an inside run fake as well as our QB lead jump pass to compliment the easy pickings on the edge with swing passes and wheels. Maybe even some TE hide and QB lead looking half rolls too. Or maybe that interesting series we run with the H and RB motioning like speed option to one side with Sam and a G pulling the other way  (might be fun to build some PA pass off that too ). 

Get them flowing to the playside action with minimal penetration to disrupt things in the backfield, punish them for it, and then mix in more run game with LB’s forced to play honest. 

Sam’s legs will key much of our success. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

OP was getting TL;DR so I limited it to run blocking and put pass pro in this follow up post.

It’s the passing game where the shortcomings of the Georgia defensive front can be exploited.  As mentioned they are #116 in FBS as creating TFLs and #101 in team sacks.  Schematically their defensive front is designed NOT to penetrate and they use bigger, slower players as run stoppers.

Their disruption of opposing offenses is not only limited, but that small amount is heavily concentrated in one spot: their Jack LB D’Andre Walker.  That one guy has 7.5 sacks and 11 TFLs.  For reference the rest of the Front 7 has 3.5 sacks and 17.5 TFLs COMBINED. He actually has more sacks than the rest of the team.  Control Walker and their already limited pass rush gets more than cut in half.  Smart likes to play him as a 7 or 9-tech against an uncovered OT.  Anderson is going to have his hands full and I’d like to see a RB chip and/or run a swing route behind Walker occasionally to help.

Kirby Smart has always been a stop the run first kind of guy.  Play action on downs where running is a credible threat should keep the LBs from dropping in coverage and give Sam good time to throw.  And with time those intermediate patterns like the dig, out and hook routes should be available.  It gets harder on passing downs but Kirby doesn’t like to blitz and his zone defense is very mediocre by Big XII standards; too much defending grass and LJ should have less trouble finding the soft spots than in most games.

To me there are 2 major systemic advantages that Texas possesses in the passing game vs Georgia.  First is that their LBs look even more lost than ours when forced to cover the whole field.  A lot of teams have exploited the flats with quick and delayed screens to the outside, swing passes and check downs to WRs.  I look forward to watching even athletic 245 lb guys chasing Watson and Ingram in space and then getting caught trying to cover the wheel route.

The second advantage is that UGa really hasn’t seen a true dual threat QB other than Hurts and that didn’t turn out too well for them.  Bama’s WRs are not better than the Texas trio and Sam is a dangerous runner with a 64% completion percentage.  He’s not a home run threat but he hits a lot of singles and doubles when scrambling.  The ability to convert 3rd and 7-10 with his feet is more than enough to force defenses to alter their approach to account for it.

We need the Sam that’s shown up for most of this season to take care of the ball.  Against quality opponents, Georgia has shown they need TOs for either defensive scores or short fields to break 30 points.  With ball security and ball control, I can see Texas holding them to 17 points.  But it’s likely that a couple of their nickel and dime passes will turn into something bigger, which gets me right back to the 24-28 point range.

Great write up man, I think this pass defense one is going to be a key advantage.   Bama ate them up when they opened it up and Humphrey and Johnson may be all but indefensible with their size.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of short outside passes, bubble screens or sweeps to get that DL moving side to side instead of downhill.   They're allowing 5 yards and 0.3 points per play this year on about 66 plays per game.   Bama ran 63 plays against them and the defense was getting gassed at the end of the game.  Texas has averaged 76 plays per game gaining 5.5 yards/0.4 pts per game.   Should be about 380-420 yards and 22-30 points allowed by that Georgia D.   They gave up 6.4 ypp and .55 ppp against Bama, so I wouldn't be shocked to see 5.5 ypp in the Sugar.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the bowl game last year where Missouri was talking trash, and even during the game after their offense punted a couple times the sideline reporter said on their bench they were saying "come on guys, we are faster than these guys" , etc.  But they weren't.  They obviously had bought into the idea that they were SEC players and so they were automatically bigger and stronger.

I'm sure Georgia has more physical talent than that Missouri team, but it is quite possible they take us lightly and assume they are superior across the board.

• Like 2

Yup. Biggest matchup for me is our DL vs. their OL. Since we don't really have the depth to compete there.

I think we can neutralize their DL by going tempo and getting the ball out quick. 

Tom needs to use Tempo against these guys or we are fucked. Get a bunch of defenders ready because we are going to need them ALL on the front 7.

37 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yup. Biggest matchup for me is our DL vs. their OL. Since we don't really have the depth to compete there.

I think we can neutralize their DL by going tempo and getting the ball out quick. 

Tom needs to use Tempo against these guys or we are fucked. Get a bunch of defenders ready because we are going to need them ALL on the front 7.

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

All that girth and size up front scream “tempo” to me, but it only works if our defense can get some stops. 

As wel saw in Aggy vs LSU, hit 75/80 plays and those Ds are done. 

Tempo forces a team to play base defense unless they've got multiple calls ready before you get rolling.  Smart likes to switch fronts and coverages but he needs time to do that and the offense can deny him that opportunity.  Georgia hasn't seen much tempo and little of that has been executed by good offenses with comparable talent.

• Like 1

This is what bowl season should be about.

You build a college football team to win your conference. In the early Big 12 days, you weren't winning the conference unless you beat Nebraska's Big Red Machine. Stopping that option meant heavy DL and massive LB. 5-2, 4-3, and 4-4 were normal defensive formations. Then Leach and OU unleashed this crazy, run the small guys everywhere terror. It left those hulking LBs helpless. Obviously, we know that today's Big 12 requires lots of DBs and preferably hybrid players that can spin down from safety to LB, then LB to DE.

Georgia is built for that Bama offense. Now, Alabama does many things at an A+ level, but they'd prefer to run the ball. Smart is, well, smart and knows defenses have to stop the run first. He recruits his defense with the bodies to do that.

I guarantee you he's not happy thinking about Johnson, Humphrey, Duvernay, and Watson on the field at one time. Controlling the A gaps is impressive, but useless when there's a 6' 6" receiver running the seam. Being a 300Lb DL is a great run stopper, but they tend to wither when asked to pass rush 50+ times. Coming out of your stance, slogging into an OL, pushing around, then getting near the QB one second too late, then turning around, digging in, and doing it again is vomit inducing. They're just not used to playing the game 20 yards at a time.

Georgia is a dominating team rightly ranked in the Top 5. Texas is rightly the underdog, and will need to show its toughness to have a chance. However, a good bowl game should highlight the differences between conference styles. Texas/UGA should be a perfect example of that.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Great write up man, I think this pass defense one is going to be a key advantage.   Bama ate them up when they opened it up and Humphrey and Johnson may be all but indefensible with their size.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of short outside passes, bubble screens or sweeps to get that DL moving side to side instead of downhill.   They're allowing 5 yards and 0.3 points per play this year on about 66 plays per game.   Bama ran 63 plays against them and the defense was getting gassed at the end of the game.  Texas has averaged 76 plays per game gaining 5.5 yards/0.4 pts per game.   Should be about 380-420 yards and 22-30 points allowed by that Georgia D.   They gave up 6.4 ypp and .55 ppp against Bama, so I wouldn't be shocked to see 5.5 ypp in the Sugar.

Exactly.  Unless the Bulldogs inexplicably play dime D, Texas won't be able to run the ball down their throats.  Inside zone isn't a good idea and straight power is DOA.  If they run base 3-4 it's an invitation to throw at single coverage.  They opened in that base 3-4 against 11 personnel vs Auburn and quickly switched to it vs Bama but I'm looking for them to open in nickel against the Horns.  One thing is that these 404 fronts with nickle behind them don't deal well with a TE that can block, which is likely why UGa didn't use it much in their last 2 conf games. 

Kirby's defense is predicated on keeping 2nd level defenders clean and using overhang men to help contain outside.  If you keep the TE uncovered by formation, he can climb directly to the 2nd level and cut off LB pursuit to that side if trying to create a cutback lane.  Or he can run out and erase the overhang defender to soften the corner.  Georgia has a tough interior defense and we shouldn't run straight at them.  The Horns are going to have to generate advantage in the running game at the margin instead.  Some of that will be passes that extend the running game to the perimeter.  WR bubble screens and swing passes, both delayed release and off motion to empty backfield.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

This is what bowl season should be about.

You build a college football team to win your conference. In the early Big 12 days, you weren't winning the conference unless you beat Nebraska's Big Red Machine. Stopping that option meant heavy DL and massive LB. 5-2, 4-3, and 4-4 were normal defensive formations. Then Leach and OU unleashed this crazy, run the small guys everywhere terror. It left those hulking LBs helpless. Obviously, we know that today's Big 12 requires lots of DBs and preferably hybrid players that can spin down from safety to LB, then LB to DE.

Georgia is built for that Bama offense. Now, Alabama does many things at an A+ level, but they'd prefer to run the ball. Smart is, well, smart and knows defenses have to stop the run first. He recruits his defense with the bodies to do that.

I guarantee you he's not happy thinking about Johnson, Humphrey, Duvernay, and Watson on the field at one time. Controlling the A gaps is impressive, but useless when there's a 6' 6" receiver running the seam. Being a 300Lb DL is a great run stopper, but they tend to wither when asked to pass rush 50+ times. Coming out of your stance, slogging into an OL, pushing around, then getting near the QB one second too late, then turning around, digging in, and doing it again is vomit inducing. They're just not used to playing the game 20 yards at a time.

Georgia is a dominating team rightly ranked in the Top 5. Texas is rightly the underdog, and will need to show its toughness to have a chance. However, a good bowl game should highlight the differences between conference styles. Texas/UGA should be a perfect example of that.

With most spread rushing attacks, controlling the B gap is more important than the A gap.  Texas is a partial exception to that because of running QB power behind a RB lead blocker but the overall principle still applies.

One of the things Bama doesn't do that well is using their RBs in the passing game (mostly screens and 4th option outlets).  Almost no one in the SEC does this well so UGa isn't designed to stop it.  Watch how often Kirby uses an ILB as primary flat defender.  That works fine if the pass is a late outlet or a screen that gives the defender time to get wide.  Not so great if that ILB's first responsibility is defending an interior gap against the run and he gets a quick swing pass to cover. 

I was planning on a separate discussion the passing game.  I may C&P your post into that if it's OK with you.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Tempo forces a team to play base defense unless they've got multiple calls ready before you get rolling.  Smart likes to switch fronts and coverages but he needs time to do that and the offense can deny him that opportunity.  Georgia hasn't seen much tempo and little of that has been executed by good offenses with comparable talent.

It also stood out to me is how often UGA alters their front.  Their personnel seem to be built around and utilize under, but technically 40 is their base defense.

What I think they are doing is playing strength to the field and adjusting the front to formation.  If you come out double-tight or strength to the boundary, you will usually get a 40 look.  If you set strength to the field or are empty, you'll usually get an under look.

Playcalling is still a factor, but I think much of it is built into the base scheme.

14 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I appreciate the breakdown. Georgia is a very talented team, and they are probably a couple of years ahead of us from a talent acquisition standpoint due to their rampant and ridiculous "recruiting" tactics. Not that the OP is saying this, but I am getting really fucking sick of reading on the interwebs that we will be completely outclassed athletically against this team. 

Texas is not a fucking group of 5 program. We have multiple NFL caliber athletes on this team. We have a physical beast playing QB. Outside of beating Notre Dame by 1 point, what great team has Georgia beaten? When have they faced WRs like Colin or LJH? Texas is not going to be run out of the building, I can guarantee you that. We will compete, we will knock the fuck out of them, and we will make plenty of plays. 

Georgia is going to be a huge test for our program and will give us a very accurate barometer in where we truly and currently stand in the College Football landscape. Winning this game would be a huge shot across the bow of the SEC, ESPN, and anyone who thinks it is funny to mock "Texas is Back" and do the Horns Down. We need to treat this game like a fucking turf war knife fight and play our best game of the year.

Is this just SEC bagmen talk or is there a story behind this?

7 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Plus it seems like not only are you seeing the base defense, even if it's a 4 yard pass, when you go tempo and get the ball out quick, the defensive linemen seem to not be able to tee-off as well. The two min offense even has no pass rush in the pros a lot of times, just seems like it makes it easier to block if you get the ball out quick a few times, don't give the defensive linemen a chance to recover, get lined up ect..

22 minutes ago, ChingoHorns said:

Now that Georgia’s DC took over as Colorado’s HC, how does their defense change? Less than 30 days for them to install their changes. 

I think the impact will be subtle.  The defense is Kirby's world and his DCs just live there so I don't foresee change.  OTOH losing the DC means one less coach familiar with the defense so there will be less staff time and resources available to make specific adjustments and game plan for Texas.  They are probably less likely to display new wrinkles and break tendencies in the Sugar Bowl now.

The one place where the OL is actually a significant advantage is in the screen game, especially the tunnel screen which gives them better blocking angles.  In that situation, being undersized and mobile helps instead of hurting.  You see OL outright wiffing blocks against smaller players in the open field a lot.  Sure looks less frequent with Texas to me.  Mobility plus attitude is what gets the entire line downfield to help LJH turn 10 yards into 20.

30 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

The one place where the OL is actually a significant advantage is in the screen game, especially the tunnel screen which gives them better blocking angles.  In that situation, being undersized and mobile helps instead of hurting.  You see OL outright wiffing blocks against smaller players in the open field a lot.  Sure looks less frequent with Texas to me.  Mobility plus attitude is what gets the entire line downfield to help LJH turn 10 yards into 20.

I've never thought about it this way, but I'm always so mad they don't run RB screens. Actually the tunnel screen to LJH is a RB screen kind of, since the guy used to play RB and his run after catch is so bigtime.

22 hours ago, sushihorn said:

With most spread rushing attacks, controlling the B gap is more important than the A gap.  Texas is a partial exception to that because of running QB power behind a RB lead blocker but the overall principle still applies.

One of the things Bama doesn't do that well is using their RBs in the passing game (mostly screens and 4th option outlets).  Almost no one in the SEC does this well so UGa isn't designed to stop it.  Watch how often Kirby uses an ILB as primary flat defender.  That works fine if the pass is a late outlet or a screen that gives the defender time to get wide.  Not so great if that ILB's first responsibility is defending an interior gap against the run and he gets a quick swing pass to cover. 

I was planning on a separate discussion the passing game.  I may C&P your post into that if it's OK with you.

Edit: Didn't read the posts right above. My apoliges. 

Edited by KYHorn

11 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I really need to go back and watch the Georgia Alabama game again. I think its still on the DVR.

I was skimming through the Auburn game.  Surprisingly, UGa felt the need to open in base 3-4 against 11 personnel.  They mostly stayed in base D too, even when Auburn flexed the TE out to make it a 4 wide look.  And even at that, they used mostly a 1 high safety look.  Given offensive personnel, Kirby really distorted his defense to stop the run.  Whitlow is decent but not really better then Ingram.  That gives me hope that Smart may try to play base 3-4 in New Orleans since our RBs+Sam are at least as much of a ground threat as Auburn presented.  Maybe he'll use a cover 2 look out of it defend the pass better.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, Zavala said:

Plus it seems like not only are you seeing the base defense, even if it's a 4 yard pass, when you go tempo and get the ball out quick, the defensive linemen seem to not be able to tee-off as well. The two min offense even has no pass rush in the pros a lot of times, just seems like it makes it easier to block if you get the ball out quick a few times, don't give the defensive linemen a chance to recover, get lined up ect..

Pass rush for a DL depends a lot on technique and timing.  The usual 3 point stance is a lot like a sprinter's starting position: balanced with weight forward, hips higher than the head and feet dug in to tee off.  Now imagine what happens if instead of getting time to set their stance, the sprinters started 5 yards onto the track, have to run back to the blocks and the starting gun can go off as soon as they get there...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Pass rush for a DL depends a lot on technique and timing.  The usual 3 point stance is a lot like a sprinter's starting position: balanced with weight forward, hips higher than the head and feet dug in to tee off.  Now imagine what happens if instead of getting time to set their stance, the sprinters started 5 yards onto the track, have to run back to the blocks and the starting gun can go off as soon as they get there...

Yup. Plus less time for them to get creative and put their best move out there. 

Still, I'm a bit more worried about our defensive line than our O. Need to dig up some depth to stop the run constantly. They will pound it. 

On 12/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, sushihorn said:

The Texas Offensive Line faces a tall task in blocking the front 6/7 for Georgia.  To me, this looks like the most difficult matchup by far.  If they play 3-4 base defense, there will be very little room to run but that will create a lot of opportunities in the passing game.  If they play 3-3 nickel, Texas might have intermittent success running the ball but I doubt there will be a consistent rushing attack even then.