Mosquito Control

PW119

On 7/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, fuggled said:

Apparently Spartan isn't making the 90 day eradicator any more. They're trying to sell a 30 day version for the same price.

This is because the product has been found to not work and there's a lawsuit pending.

https://colinpurrington.com/2021/03/spartan-mosquito-eradicator-vs-pro-tech/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This is interesting. I too live north of Houston around some drug lords and have used Spartan for 2 years and have not seen a mosquito at all.  And we have quite the back porch and yard so we are outside a lot.  In fact I was thinking I need to get new ones for the middle of summer since I put mine out about 90 days ago.

I have also been using Spartan for a couple of years now and have also noticed a huge difference.  We are in our backyard quite a bit throughout the year as we like to watch movies and games out in our backyard on a projector screen.

One of my kids works at a Feed store part time and he brought a Spartan for us to try.  It worked pretty well in our back patio area  I must say after some initial skepticism.  But it also might have worked better because our initial crop of mosquitos from the May rains were in decline.   We've had about nine inches of rain since Sunday with six of it overnight and this morning with more to come today and Friday.  We will get a better test once the a new batch of those bastards show up thanks to all the standing water in the fields and ditches.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

We live out in the country of course, and when the grandkids were younger they were always over at the house during the day spending the night and such so we bought four to six of the ginormous bug zappers and hung them in trees around 50 ft from the house. During peak mosquito season it sounded like little tiny fireworks displays going off, just a constant crackle of those little bastards getting fried with an occasional loud pop when an unfortunate June bug ran into it. Worked pretty well for us. I've seen an ad recently for some kind of bug light, not a zapper that is supposed to be really good but have no experience with it. May have to try it out just for giggles if I see the ad again.

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

We live out in the country of course, and when the grandkids were younger they were always over at the house during the day spending the night and such so we bought four to six of the ginormous bug zappers and hung them in trees around 50 ft from the house. During peak mosquito season it sounded like little tiny fireworks displays going off, just a constant crackle of those little bastards getting fried with an occasional loud pop when an unfortunate June bug ran into it. Worked pretty well for us. I've seen an ad recently for some kind of bug light, not a zapper that is supposed to be really good but have no experience with it. May have to try it out just for giggles if I see the ad again.

We have a hand held zapper that looks like a tennis racket to use on our back porch.  While I'm not very good at getting the bugs, it makes for a good workout and is extremely satisfying when you get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Intelabe-Mosquito-Rechargeable-Detachable-Flashlight/dp/B0854HLBRF/ref=pd_lpo_86_img_2/142-2772779-8170429?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0854HLBRF&pd_rd_r=14562e6c-bed8-452b-bdda-04c030238a93&pd_rd_w=v14Lr&pd_rd_wg=TM6XF&pf_rd_p=612aaa6d-f1ab-431a-a681-b5ed7cca2e52&pf_rd_r=GTF19JD7Z1YCBAZDJJCE&psc=1&refRID=GTF19JD7Z1YCBAZDJJCE

71wj86yLH2L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, fuggled said:

Apparently Spartan isn't making the 90 day eradicator any more. They're trying to sell a 30 day version for the same price.

This is because the product has been found to not work and there's a lawsuit pending.

https://colinpurrington.com/2021/03/spartan-mosquito-eradicator-vs-pro-tech/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

On 7/3/2021 at 7:31 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

May be true but I’ve used them for two years and thought they worked. The tubes would be full of dead mosquitoes within a month.

Bought a Ryobi Folger from HD and it seems to be doing a great job for a hundo. Best guess is an 80% drop in mosquitoes. 

Yeah, there's a guy online that has gone after Spartan pretty hard. I bought them the last two years and then couldn't find them this spring. Went Googling and saw the news about lawsuit, etc. I didn't notice too much of a difference at our place by Love Field. The mosquitoes don't seem nearly as bad this year for me. The flies OTOH are out of control.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, there's a guy online that has gone after Spartan pretty hard. I bought them the last two years and then couldn't find them this spring. Went Googling and saw the news about lawsuit, etc. I didn't notice too much of a difference at our place by Love Field. The mosquitoes don't seem nearly as bad this year for me. The flies OTOH are out of control.

I read somewhere that the flies are so bad this year because a lot of bats died in the freeze.  Sounds logical but who knows...