Mosquito Control

PW119

Being part of the Surly elite, I live in a nice neighborhood north of Houston (see you at cryo iamthepush). Other than children of Mexican drug lords, mosquitos are the biggest threat to quality of life. Is there a solution to these jerks? Zappers? Foggers? Anything? Will trade solutions for clandestine pics from VillaSport. KayThanksBye.

Edited by PW119

From what I understand mosquitoes live and die within approx 300 yards of where they are hatched.  I treat my yard with a yard spray about once a month and get those mosquito donuts for standing water.  It doesn't eliminate them, but it makes them much more tolerable.

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, LW Goatman said:

Mosquitos are always bad at my house and i'm bordered by a creek. I put up the Spartan mosquitos system and haven't been bit once this year. These things work and are $20.

Spartan Mosquito Link

Closest retailer to Austin is Elgin, not exactly down the street.  At this point I'm considering buying the 10 pack on their website for $200 or driving out there and having BBQ.

5 hours ago, drt said:

Closest retailer to Austin is Elgin, not exactly down the street.  At this point I'm considering buying the 10 pack on their website for $200 or driving out there and having BBQ.

I’d buy 5 or so off anyone who orders based in Austin 

I don’t live in Houston and I don’t live near a creek...so take it how you will: I bought a gallon of Bifen IT and a hose-end sprayer off amazon, nuke the yard/trees/foundation/fence/etc every 45 days or so. I hardly get any bugs at all and zero mosquitos.

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

I don’t live in Houston and I don’t live near a creek...so take it how you will: I bought a gallon of Bifen IT and a hose-end sprayer off amazon, nuke the yard/trees/foundation/fence/etc every 45 days or so. I hardly get any bugs at all and zero mosquitos.

if you're spraying outside you want bifen XTS.  it's oil based and doesn't wash off as easily.  bifen IT is water based, it's what we use for the inside of the house.  

you guys using the spartan, is the effective range really about 90 feet?  they say place 180 feet away from each other so splitting the distance in half is 90 feet.  seems far.  is it really effective that far out?

Update on the shipping...just got my order in and I placed it on Friday.  Lost Monday due to Memorial Day and that is pretty quick turnaround.  I never even got a shipping confirmation.  I have given a kit to a co-worker who has a lot of mosquitoes, so I might have something to report in a couple of weeks.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, Jimbaround said:

From what I understand mosquitoes live and die within approx 300 yards of where they are hatched.  I treat my yard with a yard spray about once a month and get those mosquito donuts for standing water.  It doesn't eliminate them, but it makes them much more tolerable.

If this is true, then it sounds like I need to go kick my neighbors' asses. Because I am pretty militant about eliminating any standing water, cleaning gutters, etc. and not giving those fuckos anywhere to lay eggs. But still my yard is fucking lousy with those things. The worst is when they decide to get into the garage and totally ruin a perfect evening of sitting in the garage drinking beer alone.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:46 AM, Catpfish said:

Update on the shipping...just got my order in and I placed it on Friday.  Lost Monday due to Memorial Day and that is pretty quick turnaround.  I never even got a shipping confirmation.  I have given a kit to a co-worker who has a lot of mosquitoes, so I might have something to report in a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts after the weekend?

I broke down and ordered from one of the online retailers that doesn't make you order a 10 pack.  Shipped yesterday, here tomorrow via USPS.  Will see if it is any help this weekend.

Edited by drt

4 minutes ago, drt said:

I broke down and ordered from one of the online retailers that doesn't make you order a 10 pack.  Shipped yesterday, here tomorrow via USPS.  Will see if it is any help this weekend.

Where did you find?  

On 5/31/2018 at 11:22 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

These spartan things are just salt, yeast, sugar, and water. So it should be a pretty easy DIY if you can figure out a good yeast strain. Maybe some home brewers can help us out.

I guess it produces CO2 from the yeast eating the suger water and that is what mimics humans to attract them.  Not sure how they keep the process going for 90 days as the high temps should make the yeast hyper active and go through all the sugar in less than a week.  Belgian yeast strains can take high temps, but have never really looked at it from a purely survive-ability point of view.

Never owned one, but the traps that use propane to produce CO2 operate in a similar manner, i guess.  This is just a cheaper looking way of producing CO2.

• 3 years later...
On 5/31/2018 at 11:22 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

These spartan things are just salt, yeast, sugar, and water. So it should be a pretty easy DIY if you can figure out a good yeast strain. Maybe some home brewers can help us out.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

I guess it produces CO2 from the yeast eating the suger water and that is what mimics humans to attract them.  Not sure how they keep the process going for 90 days as the high temps should make the yeast hyper active and go through all the sugar in less than a week.  Belgian yeast strains can take high temps, but have never really looked at it from a purely survive-ability point of view.

Never owned one, but the traps that use propane to produce CO2 operate in a similar manner, i guess.  This is just a cheaper looking way of producing CO2.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:06 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think the salt slows the yeast down, but I would think you still need a slow fermenting strain of yeast. I assume that the salt or something in the water is what is toxic to them?

Necrobump because I got a recipe from one of my wife’s patients that sounded goofy as shit, but seems to be working like a gem. 

3 crappy beers, opened and left out for a couple of days to get stale

one bottle of listerine (the blue kind)

3 tablespoons epsom salt

combine and cover and let sit overnight. Put in a spray bottle and spray around the backyard/deck/whatever. 

can’t believe it seems to be working. Been sitting out here for 30 min a couple of days after spraying and I haven’t had a single bite. Usually I’d be swarmed within 30 seconds, especially after a rain. 

May be true but I’ve used them for two years and thought they worked. The tubes would be full of dead mosquitoes within a month.

Bought a Ryobi Folger from HD and it seems to be doing a great job for a hundo. Best guess is an 80% drop in mosquitoes. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

8 hours ago, woohorn said:
10 hours ago, NOMAAA said:
Mosquitodrainguard.com
shit works if you have French drains. 

Isn't that just landscape fabric or do they claim to have treated it with something?

its a pvc polymer mesh that attaches to the underside of the drain grate.  keeps mosquitos from getting in and laying eggs and keeps any that are already in the drain basin from escaping.

• Like 1

Full disclosure this is a buddy of mines side project he started. Had it tested against a control basin with no screen by a mosquito guy in Waco. Drain with no screen had thousands of eggs. One with the screen had zero eggs. Like I said. Shit works.  

The easiest way to deal with mosquitos in Houston is pack your shit, sell your house, move far away, change your name, and start over. That will be far less time and effort than actually getting rid of mosquitos in Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 11:49 PM, CooterBrown said:

I haven’t seen a mosquito in my yard since my neighbor started treating his yard a few years ago. I’d talk your neighbor into spending the money first before committing to it.

I used to have Orkin treat my yard for mosquitos.  My pollinators quickly left and took 2 years to come back.  Asked my county agent and he said the best way to handle mosquitos is for all of your neighbors to spray and you don't have to.    Right now, the guy behind me and the guy across the street spray.  If I could just get the other two assholes in line, I would have it made.  

On 7/2/2021 at 7:19 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Necrobump because I got a recipe from one of my wife’s patients that sounded goofy as shit, but seems to be working like a gem. 

3 crappy beers, opened and left out for a couple of days to get stale

one bottle of listerine (the blue kind)

3 tablespoons epsom salt

combine and cover and let sit overnight. Put in a spray bottle and spray around the backyard/deck/whatever. 

can’t believe it seems to be working. Been sitting out here for 30 min a couple of days after spraying and I haven’t had a single bite. Usually I’d be swarmed within 30 seconds, especially after a rain. 

I love shit like this.  

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Only thing I've seen that works consistently is regular spraying/fogging and using Thermacell lanterns and personal devices when outside.  Those things are magic.  

Did that for our July 4 party. Sprayed the lawn on the two days we didn't get rain. Put out two thermacells. Incredible difference that made from the previous weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Coolest thing I saw was a couple of big shop fans.  Face them out, away from the patrons sitting outside.  Cover the intake side with a fine mesh, like from a screen door and secure with magnets.  Sucks in mosquitos who get trapped on the mesh.  Spray with rubbing alcohol.  Repeat.  Or put on the front using mosquito mesh to trap them as they go through.  

On 7/6/2021 at 1:34 PM, crash_davis said:

Isn't spraying and fogging bad for bugs and bees? 

Bingo!

The ideal time to spray or fog (to maximize mosquito killing and minimize collateral damage) would be dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are active and the pollinators aren't.

That's why all of the automatic misting systems are set for those times.  Pyrethrum for example, as a contact killer, is effective only on the critters who are out in the spray.

Don't fog or spray during the daylight hours if you can help it.