Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

Anybody keep up with the Frank Meza marathon cheating story?

It started with a thread on the LetsRun message board in which a runner congratulated Frank for running 2:53:10 in the LA Marathon at age 70.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9307635

But then people started digging into the race and his prior results and became very suspicious about his splits and lack of photos, as well as his attire.  Lots of photos were unearthed showing Meza re-entering the course.  Meza had previously been DQd from the CIM twice for missing mats and was banned.

Ultimately, Derek Murphy at Marathon Investigation became involved and decided to do his thing.  Here's a little bit about Derek.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/23186023

Derek posted his first set of findings, concluding that Meza cheated during the 2019 LA Marathon.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2019/05/dr-frank-meza-facing-scrutiny-after-record-breaking-marathons.html

Then he concluded Meza cheated during the 2019 Phoenix Marathon, which was run in February 2019, where Mesa "ran" a 2:53:54.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2019/05/analysis-of-frank-mezas-2019-sprouts-mesa-phx-record-breaking-marathon-result.html

Then more evidence of Meza cheating at the 2019 LA Marathon was unearthed.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2019/06/frank-meza-additional-evidence-la-marathon-course-cutting.html

Murphy reached out to Meza, who kept denying the allegations.  As he did, more evidence was found.  The pictures are incredible.  I kinda want to post them here but they are ordered nicely in the links so you can see them there.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2019/06/frank-meza-speaks-to-canadian-running-magazine-responds-to-course-cutting-claims.html

The final nail in the coffin was a picture found of Frank on a bike during the 2014 San Francisco Marathon before he re-entered the field to hit a mat.

spacer.png

Frank was ultimately disqualified from the LA Marathon for cheating.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2019/07/l-a-marathon-issues-statement-disqualifies-meza.html

A few days later, he committed suicide.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/us/marathoner-frank-meza-suicide/index.html

So I ran the Fallen 5 Hero Run in Chattanooga Tn last Saturday. It is a 5.5 mile run honoring the 5 service members killed by a terrorist attack 4 years ago in Chattanooga. I really wanted to do well for my step father who was a Purple Heart recipient but is no longer alive. Top 3 in each gender got a medal and I thought I had a shot. I have never ran a harder race in my life. It was 88% humidity and 90 degrees at 8 am. People were drenched at the start line waiting to go. First 3 miles I felt decent and was keeping a 7:03 pace but the last 2.5 miles just kicked mine and everyone else’s ass. I slowed down to 7:30ishs and finished with a 7:20 average. Came in 8th overall out of over 800 people. This was the first time I haven’t gotten an award in awhile so it was humbling. I am going to fuck some shit up for my September half. 

I still don’t think I am all the way back from surgery last September as knee was really sore after the run. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

right there with you.  Ran an easy 12 in NYC last weekend.  Woke up just a little late yesterday, hit the bricks at 7:30 for 13.1, got rained on almost immediately, and then straight to 100+ heat index.  Bonked at 10.  limped home and called it quits at 12.  Somebody remind me why I agreed to a fall marathon

On 8/19/2019 at 8:15 AM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

right there with you.  Ran an easy 12 in NYC last weekend.  Woke up just a little late yesterday, hit the bricks at 7:30 for 13.1, got rained on almost immediately, and then straight to 100+ heat index.  Bonked at 10.  limped home and called it quits at 12.  Somebody remind me why I agreed to a fall marathon

Because, unfortunately, that's when some of the good ones are, like Marine Corp.  I feel ya.

I ran NYC a few years back because it's on my bucket list, so I started the training in July .  It sucked.  And my time for that marathon sucked.  I've just accepted the fact that any half or full marathons I run in the fall will be to stay in shape and for the experience.  I'll leave the hard training and PRs for the spring.

I started my training yesterday and ran 10 miles yesterday morning.  I was absolutely soaked in sweat.  I did run slow (about a minute over marathon pace), so I was good energy wise.  But it's just a gross feeling after the run.

Edited by Jive Turkey

i ran the Pikes Peak Ascent on Saturday. Well I wouldn’t call it running more a very slow jog until mile 9 then it was a walk / stumble to the finish. Last mile took me around 28 min. The altitude got to me.  It was great but I wasn’t prepared for how technical that trail is.  I thought I would come in around 3:15-3:30 finished in 3:51:XX.   The last few miles is so deflating looking at the switchbacks and how much more was left.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

Gasman ran Pikes Peak, too.  Interested to hear what he thought of it. 

It was flat out amazing. Most fun race I have ever ran. Things got real above A-Frame. I could mimic incline training to a degree on the treadmill, but not the altitude.  Unfortunately, I ended up behind a single file row of people. Passing was a challenge if not impossible in several sections. I gave up on a time goal and just decided to enjoy the experience.  I stopped and took pictures along the way, every turn had an even better view than the one before. That was a great decision. I ran pressure free, quit looking at my watch and looked enjoyed the day on the mountain. I agree the trail was really challenging in several spots. Between the altitude and the rocks, the last mile took me 29 minutes. I never had an issue with altitude sickness, but any extra effort above tree line was met with an exponential increase in my HR. If any of you ever have a chance to run this, do it. Oh, and hrmaddie kicked my ass. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Because, unfortunately, that's when some of the good ones are, like Marine Corp.  I feel ya.

I ran NYC a few years back because it's on my bucket list, so I started the training in July .  It sucked.  And my time for that marathon sucked.  I've just accepted the fact that any half or full marathons I run in the fall will be to stay in shape and for the experience.  I'll leave the hard training and PRs for the spring.

I started my training yesterday and ran 10 miles yesterday morning.  I was absolutely soaked in sweat.  I did run slow (about a minute over marathon pace), so I was good energy wise.  But it's just a gross feeling after the run.

This is the first time I've trained throughout the summer months, and I feel like I'm getting more adjusted to the heat. I was told that would be the case which I found laughable. I'm not hitting marathon pace when I incorporate workouts into runs, but I'm getting close (+15 - +30 seconds). I've been more focused on my effort than being a slave to my Garmin. 

Summer training also pays huge dividends come fall and winter due to fitness level. I had immediate validation of that when I was in Chicago last week and was blessed with mild morning temps. I did 13 miles at close to a steady marathon pace without any sort of workout incorporated. It felt great. 

There's a cruel blessing in being in a climate that is brutal and unforgiving four months out of the year, and it's that you're prepared for almost anything come race day. I can't imagine how runners not acclimated to warmer temps must feel if temps go north of 70 on a race day.

I haven't done a fall race yet, and by no means do I think I would try to PR at one, but the thought of training for one during peak summer isn't as dreadful anymore. 

Also, salt tabs are by new best friend. Don't risk anything in the heat when it comes to electrolyte levels. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jet black said:

I am done with fall races over an hour. Fuck training long hours in this heat. It’s not fun. This is supposed to be fun. /rant

I'm so over this heat. I check the extended forecast first thing every morning, and it's a beating. Just give me something below 70 to look forward to if it's 10 days from now.

I’ve done two fall races and have swore off them. I agree I’m done with the heat now. I too keep looking ahead for a glimpse of something.

I’m outside of aggiesucks land for a couple of days on my daughter’s school trip. The entire day is outside hiking, canoeing and other shit.  Why couldn’t the teachers pick a utter time of the year?  

I started training for a December marathon.  Then i stopped.  It was just a beating. I didn't want to fight through the heat and a little piriformis issue.

World Track & Field Championships had the women's marathon last night in Doha.  Started at 11:59 p.m.  Temps got up to 90 in no time.  40 of the 68 women finished.  There's just no way they should put athletes in that kind of danger.

Edited by Jive Turkey

On 9/29/2019 at 3:02 PM, Jive Turkey said:

I started training for a December marathon.  Then i stopped.  It was just a beating. I didn't want to fight through the heat and a little piriformis issue.

World Track & Field Championships had the women's marathon last night in Doha.  Started at 11:59 p.m.  Temps got up to 90 in no time.  40 of the 68 women finished.  There's just no way they should put athletes in that kind of danger.

Found a Deadspin link talking about the Doha marathon and was reading through the comments section when I stumbled upon this short documentary about the 1904 St. Louis Olympics marathon. Wow. 

Running in the heat is tough, not sure if anyone ever gets used to it.  I have found it easier over the years though, but I did swear off fall races.  I used to have to take on water every mile or so, now my body doesn't start asking for water until around 6 miles.  Maybe I'm doing a better job of drinking more water during the day, not sure, probably a combination of both.  I ran 10 this morning and stopped at mile 4 to drink and then nothing until I got home.  I do drink a big glass of water before I head out the door every morning.  I live in the D/FW metroplex, the humidity is real and sucks. 

I'm looking forward to just breathing a less humid air.  Bring on the cool weather and some rain.

yeah this shit is a beating.  I'll believe the cooler temps when they get here.  I bought a hydration vest from Orange Mud about a month ago and it's been a life saver.  I'm going out for long runs with 2L in the bladder, a 600ml hydrapak with tailwind, and another 600ml in the bag with tailwind preloaded when the first one runs out.  20 miler this saturday.  No matter how early I get up and on the road, I'm still gonna be taking a beating for an hour or two of sunlight since I'm slow.  

3.5 weeks out from MCM.  Been reading up on what an overcrowded, disorganized, shitshow I'm in for.  Bring it on.  

On a different note, I've always been a shorts-with-liner kind of guy.  A buddy of mine in Hong Kong is obsessed with the T8 Sherpa Shorts and sent me a pair along with their Commando underwear.  I tried them out on a 5 mile run yesterday, and preliminary results are holy shit.  The shorts have a built-in stretchy belt are great for carrying a bottle, towel, keys and phone, and the commandos are very breathable, snug the junk, and hit right at that sweet spot on the inner thigh that always gets a chafed at high mileage.  I'll probably put both in the kit for MCM.  As much as regular running shorts are these days, the sherpas + commandos are only moderately more expensive.  

• Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, UrbanAchiever said:

Found a Deadspin link talking about the Doha marathon and was reading through the comments section when I stumbled upon this short documentary about the 1904 St. Louis Olympics marathon. Wow. 

I finally watched that doc. Holy shit. That was insane. 

World track and field finals are still going on. This weekend we have the men’s and women’s 1500m finals, women’s 5k, and men’s 10k finals. Those are gonna be great. 

• Like 1

Good luck Jet.Black - hopefully the winds are calm on the way back. 

Lots to watch this weekend:  UT vs blowu , Ironman world championships, breaking 2 (I’d love to wake up and watch this but I just can’t this weekend), Chicago marathon. 

Edited by hrmaddie

On 10/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, jet black said:

Thanks!

Think I found your results and if so, well done!! I can't imagine what it's like to compete at Kailua-Kona among the titans of your sport. It's a hell of an accomplishment to just make it there, but to post times like you did is incredible.   

• Like 1

Think I found your results and if so, well done!! I can't imagine what it's like to compete at Kailua-Kona among the titans of your sport. It's a hell of an accomplishment to just make it there, but to post times like you did is incredible.   

Thanks! I finished in 10:04. It was an unbelievable experience. Seeing the pros coming the other way on the bike and the run was awesome. Caught myself chuckling over and over again about being on the course doing the race. Didn’t stop smiling until the 2nd half of the run lol.

51 minutes ago, txhorns said:

My wife is running it and going for a PR 3:30.  She's also running the Joshua Tree half in two weeks.

Houston is set up beautifully for a PR. It just depends on the weather. I ran it this past January and PRed by a significant margin thanks in part to early morning temps of mid 40s. The course is as flat as can be - I think there's one small climb at mile 12. Some people complain about the rolling hills through Memorial Park in the last few miles, but I honestly didn't notice any memorable elevation changes. It may just be that even small hills feel painful on fatigued legs that late in the race.  

16 hours ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Houston is set up beautifully for a PR. It just depends on the weather. I ran it this past January and PRed by a significant margin thanks in part to early morning temps of mid 40s. The course is as flat as can be - I think there's one small climb at mile 12. Some people complain about the rolling hills through Memorial Park in the last few miles, but I honestly didn't notice any memorable elevation changes. It may just be that even small hills feel painful on fatigued legs that late in the race.  

Also depends on where you do your training. I trained for my first in Austin and this next will be in San Antonio, so Houston bumps don't feel like hills. 

I’m training for the Austin. I live in a hilly neighborhood so I have to run hills. I’m too lazy to drive to town lake and run or something. It’s always fun to see people get shredded on miles 10-12, especially by House Park. 

I’m not like all you fast motherfuckers. I’m hoping to break 4:20

Well, this was the first time I trained through all of summer, and the work really paid off. I posted a 1:25:57 at the Hill Country Half Marathon on Saturday which earned me a 2nd overall male finish. I had a goal of 1:31, but the conditions were favorable, so I just went after it starting at mile 2 and got locked in to a good pace. I feel really encouraged with the results heading into my marathon in early December.  

• Like 4

Well, this was the first time I trained through all of summer, and the work really paid off. I posted a 1:25:57 at the Hill Country Half Marathon on Saturday which earned me a 2nd overall male finish. I had a goal of 1:31, but the conditions were favorable, so I just went after it starting at mile 2 and got locked in to a good pace. I feel really encouraged with the results heading into my marathon in early December.  

Hell yeah man! That’s awesome! Congrats!
  • Like 1

Damn.... even urbanachiever can blaze. Nice work!

I'm thinking Jet Black might have won his age group at Waco 70.3 if he wasn't recently in Hawaii... pfffft.... priorities. hahaha, hopefully you can tell I'm kidding. You still tore it up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dmtx said:

Damn.... even urbanachiever can blaze. Nice work!

I'm thinking Jet Black might have won his age group at Waco 70.3 if he wasn't recently in Hawaii... pfffft.... priorities. hahaha, hopefully you can tell I'm kidding. You still tore it up.

A friend of mine competed in Waco - he actually ran with me last year to train for a marathon but then decided to give the tri season a whirl. Finished 2nd in his age group and qualified for the 70.3 World Championship in New Zealand next November. Not bad for his rookie tri season. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran the California International Marathon today in a 3:01:49 which was good enough for a BQ with an 8 minute cushion. Super pleased with the results as the conditions were a little warm and humid. I started out a little conservative but got aggressive on the back half and had enough left in the tank to close.  

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Running / Triathlon Thread