Best Mexican Food place in Texas (and every state)

Both Tacos

On 3/31/2019 at 3:49 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I love Blanco Cafe.  Go there and then to Chris Madrid's if you need to overdose on cheddar.

But goddamn--and I know I'm going to regret this (I probably only write it because I've decided that I have way too much rep)--but I really like Alamo Cafe.  Maybe it's the nostalgia from it being there when I was a kid and growing up on its queso, but it can hit the spot.

I used to go there all of the time when I still lived in SA.  I grew up going to the original one down on San Pedro.  The funny thing is, I never once ordered Mexican food while I was there.  I always got the chicken fried steak.  It was delicious.  I have no idea how good or bad their Mexican food is, but I always did like their chips and salsa.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:37 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

I really, really, really miss La Placita in Kingsville. I don't remember how many years ago it went defunct, but man, that place was great. Unique recipes for practically everything, all done buffet style, with a wide variety of salsas and basket after basket of fresh homemade chips (both corn and flour), and some of the best enchiladas I can remember. Big ass lemonade container on the table in the doorway, too, which they somehow kept cold and fresh.

My guess is abuelita probably got arrested for running drugs or something, is why they folded. It's as good a story as any.

Anyway, whichever one it is, the "best Mexican food restaurant in Texas" almost definitely doesn't have a very good sign out front, and you only know it's open because the curtains are drawn on the front windows.

A lot of truth with that last statement.

I also contend the better places do not have "Taqueria" anywhere in their name.   Usually those establishments are newer compared to the longer standing places who have a solid rep built over years or not decades for good food  and they go through cooks like water going  down a drain.  So one day you might get a  decent lunch, but a few days later it's pile of crap.   

I spent some time in Kingsville.    Did you ever eat at EL Jardin?   

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Did you ever eat at EL Jardin?   

Loved that joint, too. Best item on the menu was probably the tacos al carbon, but they had some damned fine enchiladas, too. Loved how they'd walk around with a platter and just dish 'em off to you. Definitely one of the better places in Kingsville, though that's an admittedly low bar.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Loved that joint, too. Best item on the menu was probably the tacos al carbon, but they had some damned fine enchiladas, too. Loved how they'd walk around with a platter and just dish 'em off to you. Definitely one of the better places in Kingsville, though that's an admittedly low bar.

Yes!   

I always enjoyed Young's Pizza and the occasional trip to  the King's Inn in Rivera .