Best Mexican Food place in Texas (and every state)

Both Tacos

MSN came out with the Best Mexican Food Resturants in every state and according to them, the best in Texas is Ninfa's in Houston. Not sure about that, but I am intrigued by the Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon Tacos. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/best-mexican-restaurant-in-every-state/ss-BBOfmtz?li=BBnb7Kz#image=44 

Texas: Ninfa's

Address: 2704 Navigation Blvd., Houston, TX 77003

Rating: 9.1/10

Ninfa's on Navigation is the best spot for Mexican in the state of Texas, but also ranked #4 for cheese in Houston—most likely be attributed to its queso flameado: a cheese casserole with chorizo. The shrimp wrapped in bacon tacos are also a must order.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

You knew the list would be garbage, but I'm surprised it isn't Mi Tierra.

We visited during the Alamo Bowl.  I get the appeal and enjoyed everything (but the cattle yard wait), but it wasn't the best Mexican food I've had.  Not sure what the general sentiment regarding the place is here.

Some shit hole in Flagstaff where they spoke zero English is still the best I've had.  Can't remember the name.  Might just be nostalgia in my head at this point.  Colorado's is probably the worst miss in there.  There's plenty of great Mexican in Colorado, and they picked a burrito joint.  I fucking love burritos, but they don't really count.  I've heard people rave about the Iowa selection, but I've never been.  

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We visited during the Alamo Bowl.  I get the appeal and enjoyed everything (but the cattle yard wait), but it wasn't the best Mexican food I've had.  Not sure what the general sentiment regarding the place is here.

Some shit hole in Flagstaff where they spoke zero English is still the best I've had.  Can't remember the name.  Might just be nostalgia in my head at this point.  Colorado's is probably the worst miss in there.  There's plenty of great Mexican in Colorado, and they picked a burrito joint.  I fucking love burritos, but they don't really count.  I've heard people rave about the Iowa selection, but I've never been.  

It's just the 24 hours, location, and history keeping it going. Food was awful the only time we went. It seems perfect for this type of list.

Edited by SimonBolivar

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's just the 24 hours, location, and history keeping it going. Food was awful the only time we went. It seems perfect for this type of list.

My research lead me to vote for Rosario's, but women were hungry and convinced every place would have an insane line.

• Like 2

That's fucking ridiculous. Ninfa's is still good, but it's more of a nostalgia place nowadays. No one in Houston would ever call it the best place for Mexican food. That award still goes to Lupe Tortilla. 

Despite Hank’s typical funny shtick, I will say that Ninfa’s is great from the perspective of its historical ties to the original texmex that began in the early days of the territory. Plus the food is decent. It’s not the best, but the combination of decently good food and its historical significance does make it a solid restaurant experience.

44 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I have.  Depending on what you order, it's actually legit -- certainly not the best I've ever had, but definitely not the worst, either.    

We have good Mexican food if you know where to look.  The Hispanic population here has grown significantly and the quality of Mexican food has come along with it.

As a San Antonio native, I grew up during the glory years of Mi Tierra. Thirty years ago, you would be hard pressed to find better enchilada’s anywhere. Several years ago, we were in SA to visit and stopped by for old times sake. It was awful. It was every bit as bad as Casa Rio on the Riverwalk. It was a shame.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

Not really. I haven’t lived there since 99, but I’d bet significant money the best Mexican food in Kansas is still in some podunk town with a slaughterhouse or refinery in it.

That's how good Mexican food works in Iowa.  Either Des Moines (which has a great food scene relative to one's expectation), or a place like Marshalltown that has a packing plant and has been a Hispanic enclave for 30 years.

The little town I live in has a surprisingly good Mexican joint.  Solid camarones el diablo with a side of fried whole jalapenos.  The margaritas suck though, so I just get a Modelo.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What’s Austin Mexican food?

I was qualifying it as I've never spent a good amount of time in Houston/DFW/San Antonio.

I hit up El Rancho, El Arroyo or Trudy's when I'm in Austin.

edit: Forgot Chuy's

Edited by MoJames

I used to like Ninfas as a kid. That green sauce was fucking good. But ain't no fucking way it sniffs that list. 

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's how good Mexican food works in Iowa.  Either Des Moines (which has a great food scene relative to one's expectation), or a place like Marshalltown that has a packing plant and has been a Hispanic enclave for 30 years.

The little town I live in has a surprisingly good Mexican joint.  Solid camarones el diablo with a side of fried whole jalapenos.  The margaritas suck though, so I just get a Modelo.

Look Al, I dig you as a poster and I mean this with all due respect... you don't know what you are talking about.

Let me tell you how good Mexican food works in San Antonio: you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good Mexican joint, but you somehow managed to walk into the biggest tourist trap in town. Mi Tierra probably isn't among the top 100 Mexican food restaurants in San Antonio. The Mariachi bar is a cool place to grab a michelada and the pan dulce counter is good for that sort of thing, but the actual Mexican food is lousy.  Fried jalapenos count about as much as Mexican food as friend cheese with marinara counts as Italian. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I used to like Ninfas as a kid. That green sauce was fucking good. But ain't no fucking way it sniffs that list. 

Look Al, I dig you as a poster and I mean this with all due respect....  but let me tell you how good Mexican food works in San Antonio: you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good Mexican joint, but you somehow managed to walk into the biggest tourist trap in town. Mi Tierra probably isn't among the top 100 Mexican food restaurants in San Antonio. The Mariachi bar is a cool place to grab a michelada and the pan dulce counter is good for that sort of thing, but the actual Mexican food is lousy.  Fried jalapenos count about as much as Mexican food as friend cheese with marinara counts as Italian. 

Check my above posts regarding Mi Tierra.  It was a female hijacking; my vote was for Rosario's.  Mi Tierra was clearly to San Antonio Mexican what Hickory Park is to Ames.  I enjoyed it (I was drunk and hungry), but I'd never offer it as the best Mexican food I've ever had.  It's a tourist trap with a decent bar.  I know damn well that mom and pops are where it's at, but I had to placate my old man and his wife.  She's afraid of anything that looks like a dive, and he's never been able to grasp the idea that places that look like shit holes have better food.  Or he just doesn't care and prefers a different atmosphere.  I'm not sure.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but when I refer to my local place having fried jalapenos, I'm not talking about those shitty jalapeno poppers that have been stuffed with cream cheese and breaded.  I'm talking about the roasted whole peppers you get as a side.  Charred skin, all the seeds inside.  Again, my point wasn't to call it the best Mexican food I've ever had.  Just better than what I assume most people would assume about Mexican food in northern Iowa.  There are significant Hispanic populations in much of the country at this juncture, and you can find a quality Mexican meal in places that considered Taco Bell good Mexican 20 years ago.

Except South Dakota, apparently.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Check my above posts regarding Mi Tierra.  It was a female hijacking; my vote was for Rosario's.  Mi Tierra was clearly to San Antonio Mexican what Hickory Park is to Ames.  I enjoyed it (I was drunk and hungry), but I'd never offer it as the best Mexican food I've ever had.  It's a tourist trap with a decent bar.  I know damn well that mom and pops are where it's at, but I had to placate my old man and his wife.  She's afraid of anything that looks like a dive, and he's never been able to grasp the idea that places that look like shit holes have better food.  Or he just doesn't care and prefers a different atmosphere.  I'm not sure.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but when I refer to my local place having fried jalapenos, I'm not talking about those shitty jalapeno poppers that have been stuffed with cream cheese and breaded.  I'm talking about the roasted whole peppers you get as a side.  Charred skin, all the seeds inside.  Again, my point wasn't to call it the best Mexican food I've ever had.  Just better than what I assume most people would assume about Mexican food in northern Iowa.  There are significant Hispanic populations in much of the country at this juncture, and you can find a quality Mexican meal in places that considered Taco Bell good Mexican 20 years ago.

Except South Dakota, apparently.

Fair enough. Rosario's is decent. 

Also, don't take it personally. There are plenty of Mexicans in Houston, Austin, and Dallas and all their Mexican food sucks ass too.