Best Mexican Food place in Texas (and every state)

Both Tacos

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm sure I'll get slammed for it, but for what it is, Taco John's is good.  Don't think of it as Mexican, think of it as meat in tortillas with crack-laced fried potatoes on the side.  With that in mind, it's fucking delicious.  Especially when you're hungover in college, broke, and the dorm isn't serving dinner on Sundays.  6 pack And a Pound (6 tacos and a lb of potato oles) chased with cheap beer while watching NFL games was many a Sunday in those days.

It's a competitor of Taco Bell.  Within that pond, it slams and goes hard.  It is not an example of authentic quality Mexican cuisine.

Potato Oles are the best fast food side of all time. If you think of Taco John’s as Mexican food, you’ll think “I don’t go to BBQ joints for the salad” but if you go for the Oles...just lay back and let them wash over you.

In my opinion there are two ways to judge Tex-Mex food....

The hot sauce (salsa) and chips when you sit down and the regular (usually #2 dinner) enchilada plate which consists of 2 cheese (or beef) enchiladas, rice and refried beans with a salad plate of a crispy corn tortilla taco and some guacamole on a bed of shredded lettuce. 

La Fiesta in Austin in the old days was one of the best.

Jardin Carona is the best I have had recently. They are in Cedar Park.

The last time I went to Maudies at The Triangle the cheese enchiladas were great as was the rice and refried beans.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Anybody ever been to Las Fuentes in La Grange? I fucking love that place

Our friends in Houston have a place in La Grange, and when we meet there for weekends we occasionally dine at Las Fuentes.  I can't say I *love* it, but it's pretty damn solid for La Grange, Texas, and I'm always happy to go back there.

10 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

Potato Oles are the best fast food side of all time. If you think of Taco John’s as Mexican food, you’ll think “I don’t go to BBQ joints for the salad” but if you go for the Oles...just lay back and let them wash over you.

A buddy of mine who went to U of I had a roommate that worked at Taco John's in Iowa City.  Said roommate would smuggle Ole seasoning home every week, and they'd cook with it at home.

We made Potato Ole burgers tailgating for the CyHawk game that year, and mother of god was that excellent.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Potato oles are awesome but taco johns is much more expensive than taco bell. What costs 21-25 dollars there is 13 at TB

You can't reasonably compare anything to TB in terms of cost.  That place has the absolute cheapest food you can have prepared for you.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Fair enough. Rosario's is decent. 

Also, don't take it personally. There are plenty of Mexicans in Houston, Austin, and Dallas and all their Mexican food sucks ass too.

Rosario's, La Fogata, and Acenar are all much better than Mi Tierra.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:23 PM, Armybrat said:

I ate at Casa Rio when it first opened (1946) and it wasn’t bad then. By the 1960s it was really downhill.

Casa Rio and most of the River Walk  places are for the out of town tourists  and I mean out of the state types.

I will make an exception and eat at one them only if I am staying close by and don't want to hassle with battling traffic 

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

In my opinion there are two ways to judge Tex-Mex food....

The hot sauce (salsa) and chips when you sit down and the regular (usually #2 dinner) enchilada plate which consists of 2 cheese (or beef) enchiladas, rice and refried beans with a salad plate of a crispy corn tortilla taco and some guacamole on a bed of shredded lettuce. 

You're Goddamn right.  If they fuck up the #2, they can't be trusted.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Casa Rio and most of the River Walk  places are for the out of town tourists  and I mean out of the state types.

I will make an exception and eat at one them only if I am staying close by and don't want to hassle with battling traffic 

I realized that by 1968.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The difference between average and great is huge. Shitty Mexican food is well, shitty. If you can't tell the difference, then it kinda makes my point for me. 

I'm not trying to call you out because you're from Iowa, but it's one of those deals when you don't know what you don't know. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I could delineate good fried butter wall art from bad wall art fried butter.

FIFY

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A buddy of mine who went to U of I had a roommate that worked at Taco John's in Iowa City.  Said roommate would smuggle Ole seasoning home every week, and they'd cook with it at home.

We made Potato Ole burgers tailgating for the CyHawk game that year, and mother of god was that excellent.

Gotdamn that sounds amazing.

I have yet to find a Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant that has it all, imo.  Some have good salsa but the chips suck.  Others have good enchiladas but the rice and beans suck.  Then some have good fajitas but the carne guisada sucks.  "The best" mexican or tex-mex restaurant is too broad a category for me.  All i know is when i want Picadillo i know where to go.  When i want fideo i know where to go.  When i want bad ass caldo i know where to go.  Too many variables to consider.  Damn now I'm craving a Don Juan with soft "american" grated cheese, with their just ok salsa and overly thick chips, Damnit!       

I grew up in the RGV back in the 70's and 80's, so I got used to "real Tex-Mex" made by restaurants and holes in the wall which were owned and operated by families who might have been first or second generation from Mexico.   Ironically some of the better enchiladas  I had down there was at places owned by non Mexicans and had diverse menu.  

Now a days when I travel the state and have the urge for  Tex-Mex food, I try to stay away from any place that starts with "Taqueria."   Most of those places are owned or operated by more recent Mexican  immigrants who didn't necessarily have to live in the border areas before coming up north.   So they don't have a true grasp on what Tex Mex style is vs those who maybe are second or third generation who grew up at their family restaurants and decided to move upstate and start their own.  Don't get me wrong as some of those Taquieira places have decent food, but most of the time it's not Tex Mex.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

https://www.mamacitas.com

We do stop here  most of the time after my wife spends like crazy  at the San Marcos Factory outlets.   They have locations in San Antonio, Kerrville and Fredericksburg  as well.

I've been to one is San Antonio as well as it's out close to UTSA.  It's doesn't skip a beat from the New Braunfels location.  

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I grew up in the RGV back in the 70's and 80's, so I got used to "real Tex-Mex" made by restaurants and holes in the wall which were owned and operated by families who might have been first or second generation from Mexico.   Ironically some of the better enchiladas  I had down there was at places owned by non Mexicans and had diverse menu.  

Now a days when I travel the state and have the urge for  Tex-Mex food, I try to stay away from any place that starts with "Taqueria."   Most of those places are owned or operated by more recent Mexican immigrants who didn't necessarily have to live in the border areas before coming up north.   So they don't have a true grasp on what Tex Mex style is vs those who maybe are second or third generation who grew up at their family restaurants and decided to move upstate and start their own.  Don't get me wrong as some of those Taquieira places have decent food, but most of the time it's not Tex Mex.

Imo the biggest difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican is the use of chili powder and the type of cheese.       

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Imo the biggest difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican is the use of chili powder and the type of cheese.       

That's a big part of it.  And the quantity too.   Some places overdose on the cheese, IMO.  

When I get  beef enchiladas for example, I like the chili con carne to on the outside of the enchiladas too.. When I get the urge for just cheese enchiladas,  I do like just a hint of carne in the sauce.   And they need some onions too.

Here's a good pic

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/cheese-enchiladas/

On 1/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, GRHorn said:

For just straight up greasy Tex Mex I’ll go with Thousand Oaks Cafe in San Antonio. Especially the branch actually on Thousand Oaks. 

Or actually I would probably go with the local place in the rural South Texas town where I was raised, but I’m not gonna name names. I like being as anonymous as possible here. 

Had it for lunch today. Pretty, pretty  good2987-ED1-C-A203-433-D-B6-E9-41-D51-B9-BE

• Like 2

Ok I’ll play. In Phoenix, Via de Los Santos in Sunnyslope.  Pretty good tequila selection there.  More upscale is Barrio Cafe, but just the location on 16th Ave.  Federicos on 32nd St has great breakfast burros and their pico is super.  There are probably a lot of madre and padre places in south Phoenix and Guadelupe, but I’m not in that part of town often enough to know.  

There a couple central Texas traditions that you absolutely can’t get in Phoenix, breakfast tacos and migas.  Never understood why.  

On 1/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, Hate said:

As a San Antonio native, I grew up during the glory years of Mi Tierra. Thirty years ago, you would be hard pressed to find better enchilada’s anywhere. Several years ago, we were in SA to visit and stopped by for old times sake. It was awful. It was every bit as bad as Casa Rio on the Riverwalk. It was a shame.

Blanco Cafe?

• Like 1

Blanco cafe I like. I haven’t been there in 25 years at least so I have no idea how its held up.

There used to be a place on the West Side of downtown that was awesome. It was close to OLLU and had a big Indian statue in the entryway. It was awesome but I have no idea if it is still there.

Blanco cafe I like. I haven’t been there in 25 years at least so I have no idea how its held up.

There used to be a place on the West Side of downtown that was awesome. It was close to OLLU and had a big Indian statue in the entryway. It was awesome but I have no idea if it is still there.

After thinking about it for a while, I think it was Karam’s?

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lat22 said:

Blanco Cafe?

I love Blanco Cafe.  Go there and then to Chris Madrid's if you need to overdose on cheddar.

But goddamn--and I know I'm going to regret this (I probably only write it because I've decided that I have way too much rep)--but I really like Alamo Cafe.  Maybe it's the nostalgia from it being there when I was a kid and growing up on its queso, but it can hit the spot.

Ok I’m getting serious about tracking down a solid TexMex place and a traditional Mexican place.

It looks like three places have replaced Mexican food places that I remember.

One is Taquerias Arendinas right off 35 and 2222. Is this place anything like the old one that used to be there 20+ years ago?

The other is El Ronconcito Del Sabor off Cameron. Same question.

Also there used to be a Mexican food place at Windsor Village Shopping Center. Looks like another different one is there now, El Taccorido.

Any of these any good?

I'm sure I'll get slammed for it, but for what it is, Taco John's is good.  Don't think of it as Mexican, think of it as meat in tortillas with crack-laced fried potatoes on the side.  With that in mind, it's fucking delicious.  Especially when you're hungover in college, broke, and the dorm isn't serving dinner on Sundays.  6 pack And a Pound (6 tacos and a lb of potato oles) chased with cheap beer while watching NFL games was many a Sunday in those days.
It's a competitor of Taco Bell.  Within that pond, it slams and goes hard.  It is not an example of authentic quality Mexican cuisine.
I loved pissing off my ex and nebraska friends by calling them tater tots...they hate that lol

But its not bad for what it is...but i hardly ever frequented it when i was up there

You mean the tater tots right?

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I loved pissing off my ex and nebraska friends by calling them tater tots...they hate that lol

But its not bad for what it is...but i hardly ever frequented it when i was up there

Well, yeah, they're circular tater tots.  Seasoned with crack.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, Beau Vine said:

Alicia's in Alpine.  

Palabra.

Alicia's is great, but its not even the best in Alpine. Maybe the best for breakfast, but not the best for lunch/dinner.

There is a little shack place a block south of the train station behind the Mercado store that is great. I can't remember the name. Odds are 50-50 that's its already closed. They don't sell beer unfortunately, but they only have outdoor seating, so you can take your food across the street to the old hotel that has been refurbished into a beer/wine bar, sit out on the upper deck and enjoy the views and cool mountain air while you eat some damn good tacos and drink a cold lone star.

I can't remember either the name of the shack or the name of the hotel but they aren't hard to find.

26 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Alicia's is great, but its not even the best in Alpine. Maybe the best for breakfast, but not the best for lunch/dinner.

You eat breakfast at Alicia's, and you don't need lunch or dinner.

Edited by Beau Vine

I really, really, really miss La Placita in Kingsville. I don't remember how many years ago it went defunct, but man, that place was great. Unique recipes for practically everything, all done buffet style, with a wide variety of salsas and basket after basket of fresh homemade chips (both corn and flour), and some of the best enchiladas I can remember. Big ass lemonade container on the table in the doorway, too, which they somehow kept cold and fresh.

My guess is abuelita probably got arrested for running drugs or something, is why they folded. It's as good a story as any.

Anyway, whichever one it is, the "best Mexican food restaurant in Texas" almost definitely doesn't have a very good sign out front, and you only know it's open because the curtains are drawn on the front windows.