Patriots @ Chiefs: AFC Championship Game

Vic Mackey

30 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

It was probably mentioned but I find it incredible that Edelman is open almost every play somehow. He’s literally their only reliable WR yet nobody can cover him and he’s been doing it forever. Hall of famer?

I love Edelman. Dude is nails in the clutch. Everyone knows Brady is looking for him on 3rd, and he gets open anyway, takes whatever shot you can dish out, and pops right back up with something to say.

Even with Brady passing for 500 years in last year's Super Bowl, you have to think, had Edelman played, he would have put them over the top considering how vital he was in the Seahawk and Falcon Super Bowls.

6 minutes ago, Bevojoe said:

The story going around is that if the Pats win the SB, Brady and Belichick are both going to call it  career and retire. We'll see I guess.

I think there's a very slim chance the one or both do retire on top if they win. But it's not going to be one of those riding off into the sunset together kind of things. There's some real dislike there these days, and both probably have a desire to prove their worth without the other. Hence BB being so upset when they traded away what he thought would be their quarterback of the future.

When the idiot chiefs got in field goal range at the end of regulation, they should have milked the clock down to nothing and try to win it or tie it as a last resort. Just because the TD play is there with two minutes left doesn’t mean that you have to take it. You kill the clock and you do not give Brady a chance to beat you. Is math too hard for the chiefs coach?

29 minutes ago, XYZ said:

When the idiot chiefs got in field goal range at the end of regulation, they should have milked the clock down to nothing and try to win it or tie it as a last resort. Just because the TD play is there with two minutes left doesn’t mean that you have to take it. You kill the clock and you do not give Brady a chance to beat you. Is math too hard for the chiefs coach?

That's a bit harsh. They were on the 2 yard line. What do you do? Kneel two times, have NE burn two timeouts, then hope you score on 3rd and goal from about the 5? If you do that and settle for a field goal--still giving NE plenty of time, now only needing a field goal to win it in regulation--they'd be getting deservedly crucified.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gecko said:

Off topic but while debating the NFL OT rules on ESPN one guy suggested that the NBA OT should be sudden death....any foul shots would be shot from the 3-point line.

LOL.

How about this one for the NFL.  Line up all 53 players on their respective goal lines drop the ball from sky cam at the 50....first team to get it across the opponent goal line without going out of bounds wins.  If ball or player with ball goes out of bounds scrum it back into play.  

This. I told my wife that they just lost the game by scoring before the 2m warning, handing Brady the ball with 3TOs and 2m left.

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

This. I told my wife that they just lost the game by scoring before the 2m warning, handing Brady the ball with 3TOs and 2m left.

How would you have played it once Watkins broke loose and got to the 2? You have 3 plays before you have to kick a field goal. You don't want to kick a field goal; you want a touchdown. New England has timeouts to stop the clock if you want to take a knee (literally have never seen that in this kind of situation) and try to risk punching it in with fewer plays.

I'm all for making fun of Andy Reid's clock management skills, but you guys are being pretty unrealistic here.

They had no "milk the clock" options once Watkins broke free.

Edited by aggie08

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

The Chiefs scored with 2:03 left.  The Patriots still had all their time outs left and the two minute warning, assuming the Chiefs don't fuck up and get some kind of false start penalty and score on third down the Patriots are still getting the ball back with 1:45 to go and one time out left.  Their final drive took one minute and twenty four seconds (39 seconds left when the Pats kicked off) and they did not use a time out.  So with your scenario the only thing the Chiefs accomplish by doing this is not leaving Mahomes enough time to drive down for the tying field goal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I think there's a very slim chance the one or both do retire on top if they win. But it's not going to be one of those riding off into the sunset together kind of things. There's some real dislike there these days, and both probably have a desire to prove their worth without the other. Hence BB being so upset when they traded away what he thought would be their quarterback of the future.

Yeah, there's alway going to be some friction within that trio of BB, Brady and Kraft.   Brady adores Kraft, especially when the latter made BB get rid of Garappolo to eliminate that uncomfortable QB situation.  As you mention, didn't sit well with BB.   But I could see Brady hanging it up if NE wins.  As mentioned in another thread, he and Gronkowski are joined at the hip and the latter is likely retiring at the end of this year.  And even Brady is realistic about the climb to the Super Bowl and going out on top is an opportunity that may not always be there.  And then there's Giselle.  As much as Brady is consumed by football, he's also into his family and she's been trying to pry him away from the game for a couple years now.  

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Winning the coin flip is an awesome strategy in OT

It seems to have been a key play in the Patriots win yesterday

I would say their strategy was playing football and driving down the entire length of the field to score against a defense that had the opportunity to stop them, but could not.

There's probably not a player on the Chiefs who's sitting at home pouting, "damn coin fucked us!"

37 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, there's alway going to be some friction within that trio of BB, Brady and Kraft.   Brady adores Kraft, especially when the latter made BB get rid of Garappolo to eliminate that uncomfortable QB situation.  As you mention, didn't sit well with BB.   But I could see Brady hanging it up if NE wins.  As mentioned in another thread, he and Gronkowski are joined at the hip and the latter is likely retiring at the end of this year.  And even Brady is realistic about the climb to the Super Bowl and going out on top is an opportunity that may not always be there.  And then there's Giselle.  As much as Brady is consumed by football, he's also into his family and she's been trying to pry him away from the game for a couple years now.  

And it's also worth noting that the Patriots have 12 picks in the upcoming draft - six of which are in the first 3 rounds.   So that will be factored into the mix on Brady and the Patriots future overall. 

Not worthy of its own thread, but posted on a KC board concerning KC FB Anthony Sherman's pic after his (almost MVP) performance in the Pro Bowl:

Sausage( Sherman) looks like the guy that gives you the 5 minute tutorial on throwing axes before before serving you alcohol

225px-Anthony_Sherman.JPG

Edited by slorch