Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont get it. i dont really care for KK as a coach or his version of the air raid scheme. it works, like any other system, when he has better athletes and doesnt when he doesnt. so at SC, it will work most of the time but inevitably fail against more talented teams. 

He is routinely out-coached, which won't be an issue as the OC. All he would need at USC is a strong head coach who...

Shit.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont get it. i dont really care for KK as a coach or his version of the air raid scheme. it works, like any other system, when he has better athletes and doesnt when he doesnt. so at SC, it will work most of the time but inevitably fail against more talented teams. 

He's at USC. Only failing against more talented teams would just mean losing the Playoff title game to Bama every year.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

SO basically every offensive system there is? Got it.

What is the reasoning for our move up the composite? Was there a ratings shift by one of the services? What's changed? 

oh i agree. so whats the deal with everyone going crazy about KK if he is just every offensive system there is? 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Less likely a USC ploy, but by Kliff's side. Up NFL offers, USC's offer etc...

I don't know about the gamesmanship of it all, but the timing for NFL teams isn't great. If he's interested in a least hearing their pitches, he obviously can't jump on USC's offer immediately.

Edited by Ricky Butler

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

oh i agree. so whats the deal with everyone going crazy about KK if he is just every offensive system there is? 

My point was that at the highest levels, yes every system can generally be out executed when facing superior athletes. 

That doesn't meant that some systems don't help teams play up to a higher level than their talent normally would let them. Don't be fucking dense. That's literally why the fucking spread offense took root in Texas HS football in the fucking first place. 

USC is an offensive dumpster fire. Having a coherent system run by a guy who's probably the foremost of what is now a very sexy offense now that it's blowing up the NFL is kind of a big deal. I realize he isn't a lake travis alum, so you're skeptical, but certainly you can see why having what is currently the shiniest toy in the toybox is a good thing, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TFB on Bru McCoy:

Super K has been out of the country but I was able to talk with him briefly regarding the Bru McCoy situation. Here is what he had to say:

*** Prior to the Hire, K’s sources told him that with Helton staying, it was going to make it that much more difficult for Texas to pull Bru McCoy

*** One of his sources added that as long as Helton didn’t screw up the Offensive Coordinator hire, USC was going to be very tough to beat.

***It has been widely reported that USC is finalizing a deal with form Texas Tech Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury and K exchanged a few messages with McCoy’s father.

*** As you would probably expect to hear, they were very pleased with the hire.

*** This was always going to be a tough one with McCoy being close with JT Daniels and Amon Ra who are very happy at USC and with Clay Helton

** Along with the players, McCoy’s family really does think highly of Helton.

This one continues to trend toward USC. Texas is still in it to a degree, but if you haven’t already, you need to start preparing yourself.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't know about the gamesmanship of it all, but the timing for NFL teams isn't great. If he's interested in a least hearing their pitches, he obviously can't jump on USC's offer immediately.

It isn't, but that's why you do this thing. It's getting late for college, but too early for NFL, getting to that 'tweener period where a decision needs to be made. Try to force an NFL team to act early.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

My point was that at the highest levels, yes every system can generally be out executed when facing superior athletes. 

That doesn't meant that some systems don't help teams play up to a higher level than their talent normally would let them. Don't be fucking dense. That's literally why the fucking spread offense took root in Texas HS football in the fucking first place. 

USC is an offensive dumpster fire. Having a coherent system run by a guy who's probably the foremost of what is now a very sexy offense now that it's blowing up the NFL is kind of a big deal. I realize he isn't a lake travis alum, so you're skeptical, but certainly you can see why having what is currently the shiniest toy in the toybox is a good thing, right?

oh im a big fan of the spread offense but not the air raid. i prefer a power spread. i dont think the air raid works all that well against the top teams. i dont think it has ever worked well against the top teams. it puts up lots of yards but typically stalls in the red zone and struggles in general when talent is equal. i dont think KK is the foremost of the air raid offense and I dont think that version of the spread is really blowing up in the NFL either. i guess he is a shiny toy but i will leave that part to you.

oh im a big fan of the spread offense but not the air raid. i prefer a power spread. i dont think the air raid works all that well against the top teams. i dont think it has ever worked well against the top teams. it puts up lots of yards but typically stalls in the red zone and struggles in general when talent is equal. i dont think KK is the foremost of the air raid offense and I dont think that version of the spread is really blowing up in the NFL either. i guess he is a shiny toy but i will leave that part to you.

So you're telling me that you don't think the LA Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs are currently the toast of the NFL?

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

I dont think that version of the spread is really blowing up in the NFL either. i guess he is a shiny toy but i will leave that part to you.

Kliff's QB is running a top offense that is being called by one of the most well respected offensive coaches in the NFL over the last twenty years.  This same coach cites Kingsbury's intelligence and innovation.  I guess that carries weight with some people outside of Lake Travis.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It isn't, but that's why you do this thing. It's getting late for college, but too early for NFL, getting to that 'tweener period where a decision needs to be made. Try to force an NFL team to act early.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So you're telling me that you don't think the LA Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs are currently the toast of the NFL?

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Kliff's QB is running a top offense that is being called by one of the most well respected offensive coaches in the NFL over the last twenty years.  This same coach cites Kingsbury's intelligence and innovation.  I guess that carries weight with some people outside of Lake Travis.

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The Chiefs are only good because of the supreme talent and work ethic of the QB he coached in college.  Shit.

Take this shit to the Football board. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

The Chiefs are only good because of the supreme talent and work ethic of the QB he coached in college.  Shit.

I dont watch a lot of NFL. But I do know what what I've read and heard that the interest in KK is due DIRECTLY to the fact that he is considered an expert on the system that the Rams and Chiefs are currently using. You can shit all over it you want, but lets not pretend KK was a hot fucking commodity a year ok and on ANY NFL radar whatsoever. He wasn't. So other than underachieving and getting his ass canned in Lubbock, what has changed year over year? Oh, yeah, it's those two teams going apeshit offensively in the NFL. Stop being fucking dense people. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

This is what I kinda meant in my post. USC has recruiting to worry about and they need the hire to be done ASAP, but if he has legit interests in NFL he is not making a decision until the new year most likely. It might be his agent putting out the stuff to drive offers but SC needs this hire to happen yesterday so I could see them pushing it as a means to convey the kind of coach they are targeting. If it’s Kliffs agent doing the pushing isn’t it odd that it would come from the USC side? 

Some Coordinalors are starting to get some big guaranteed money in college these days, are there nfl coordinators making the coin a guy like Aranda is making?

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If what ctj was implying is true, switching to the West Hollywood scene after Lubbock is going to feel like getting out after a long stretch at Angola.

It's the worst kept secret in college football coaching

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

i like what the Rams are doing but its my understanding they got most of that from blending different aspects from the offenses of the Saints, Pats, and Falcons. Again, I would not call the Rams offense an air raid offense.

I know the Chiefs are putting up a lot of offense but im not a fan of Mahomes. he looks like a less talented Favre to me. 

I dont watch a lot of NFL. But I do know what what I've read and heard that the interest in KK is due DIRECTLY to the fact that he is considered an expert on the system that the Rams and Chiefs are currently using. You can shit all over it you want, but lets not pretend KK was a hot fucking commodity a year ok and on ANY NFL radar whatsoever. He wasn't. So other than underachieving and getting his ass canned in Lubbock, what has changed year over year? Oh, yeah, it's those two teams going apeshit offensively in the NFL. Stop being fucking dense people. 

I guess I wasn't clear.  I was pointing out that Mahomes is credited to KK. 

One thing that's really become more obvious to me over the years, but is often overlooked is that the people working in the NFL are for the most part really fucking good at their jobs.  If multiple NFL teams want him to coach their offense then I think it reflects well on KK's football acumen and system he runs.  You see NFL commentators even gush over him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I like Andy Reid as a coach and trust his opinion. But holy shit, everyone just needs to take a deep breath. This if Kliff fucking Kingsbury that we are talking about. He is not the greatest offensive mind the history of ever! Despite going through one of the worst periods in program history, Texas beat the miraculous KK 4 out of 6 times. But yall go right ahead with your bro worship.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

not necessarily. shit, i thought mike leach did a better job at tech than KK. 

Years as OC, S&P+ Offense.
2011: #4 (UH)
2012: #1 (A&M)
2013: #23 (Tech)
2014: #19
2015: #1
2016: #4
2017: #25
2018: #26

He evaluates QBs just about as well as anyone you'll find, and does a great job of training them up

• Like 1

I like Andy Reid as a coach and trust his opinion. But holy shit, everyone just needs to take a deep breath. This if Kliff fucking Kingsbury that we are talking about. He is not the greatest offensive mind the history of ever! Despite going through one of the worst periods in program history, Texas beat the miraculous KK 4 out of 6 times. But yall go right ahead with your bro worship.

Being a good assistant is not the same as being a good head coach. Brewster was a shitty HC at Minnesota but is a wizard TE coach, for example (ctj has been arguing this out today so it's top of mind).

Edited by texifornia

Dude, stop hating. KK is sexy AF. 

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Man. It's almost like superior talent, as you literally just pointed out, can matter in wins and losses. 

You're being fucking willfully obtuse, dude. I suppose NFL Analysts are the half wits, and just like the Garret Wilson recruitment, you know better. 

• Like 1

No bro worship. Just taking note of the opinions of people paid millions to be right. Not opinions of those who coach Junior High 7 on 7. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

You're a dense one 

not really. im just more of a fan of the power spread. im not saying KK is the worst coach EVAR! im just not claiming he is the greatest thing EVAR either. he is an innovative offensive coach. but i dont really think he stands out that much if at all in the B12. and he sucks as a HC.

not really. im just more of a fan of the power spread. im not saying KK is the worst coach EVAR! im just not claiming he is the greatest thing EVAR either. he is an innovative offensive coach. but i dont really think he stands out that much if at all in the B12. and he sucks as a HC.

You're dense because struggling as a head coach doesn't diminish his ability as an OC. It's a false equivalency. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Which is not even remotely close to what anyone here has been arguing or saying.

Also, I'm absolutely SHOCKED that you prefer the version of the spread currently being run by Lake Travis. Fucking stunned. 

• Like 1

Man. It's almost like superior talent, as you literally just pointed out, can matter in wins and losses. 

You're being fucking willfully obtuse, dude. I suppose NFL Analysts are the half wits, and just like the Garret Wilson recruitment, you know better. 

nah, not really. i just dont prefer KK's offense. NFL analysts? yeah they pretty much are half wits. oh, you hurt me with that Wilson comment. i dont know how i will ever recover... 

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

No bro worship. Just taking not of the opinions of people paid millions to be right. Not opinions of those who coach Junior High 7 on 7. 

ok, so i guess if we are not paid millions to coach football then we shouldnt have an opinion? get the fuck outta here. 

Which is not even remotely close to what anyone here has been arguing or saying.

Also, I'm absolutely SHOCKED that you prefer the version of the spread currently being run by Lake Travis. Fucking stunned. 

uhhhh its what i have been saying the whole fucking time. shit, dude take the time to read before you respond. 

eh, not really. LT runs a blend of Morris/Wall spread with Herman's spread. Its more of a traditional spread than anything. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

i never said it did. reading comprehension much?

Yes you did you fucking clown. It's literally the last thing you said in the quote below. You brought it up, which means to you it has merit in the current discussion. I'm not sure it falls under reading comprehension per say...maybe the appropriate burn would be "Speak english much?"

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Yes you did you fucking clown. It's literally the last thing you said in the quote below. You brought it up, which means to you it has merit in the current discussion. I'm not sure it falls under reading comprehension per say...maybe the appropriate burn would be "Speak english much?"

No, I did not. I did not say he sucked as an offensive coach because he sucked as a HC. I said I dont prefer his brand of offense AND he sucks as a HC. You're fucking dumb.

uhhhh its what i have been saying the whole fucking time. shit, dude take the time to read before you respond. 

eh, not really. LT runs a blend of Morris/Wall spread with Herman's spread. Its more of a traditional spread than anything. 

You've been saying the same thing this entire time. That is not at all the same thing as it being the same thing people are arguing about. Does that make sense you goober? Let me illustrate.

Everyone Else: KK is a bright offensive mind, and he's getting a lot of NFL attention. He's talented.
L94: KK is a shitty head coach and I don't like his offense, the Power Spread is better.

Lets try another similar illustration:

Person #1: You know guys, I visited Maine in the fall and it's a really beautiful place to vacation.
L94: Peanut Butter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No, I did not. I did not say he sucked as an offensive coach because he sucked as a HC. I said I dont prefer his brand of offense AND he sucks as a HC. You're fucking dumb.

Again you point missing motherfucker. Let me try to really explain it for you. When people are talking about his merits as an OC, why the FUCK do you keep bringing up any mention of him as a HC, at all? It has no merit at all to the conversation, yet you keep doing it. As Fud pointed out, it's a meritless comment. So either you're a moron who just keeps throwing out tourette's statements, or in some weird way it DOES have merit to the conversation to YOU. Which one is it?

nah, not really. i just dont prefer KK's offense. NFL analysts? yeah they pretty much are half wits. oh, you hurt me with that Wilson comment. i dont know how i will ever recover... 

ok, so i guess if we are not paid millions to coach football then we shouldnt have an opinion? get the fuck outta here. 

You’re allowed to have an opinion. I’ll just weigh the professionals strongly over yours.