Has Anybody used Costco to Rent a Car?

I'm flying into the East Bay area (read: Oakland) next month and will probably need to rent a car. There will be 6 adults, all told, so might have to get a minivan. 

Don't care about fancy; just need transportation. 

Looked on the Costco website and it seemed pretty good. Almost too good. 

Any thoughts?

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I use them every single time. 

Prices cannot be beat.  And the rental is through one of the majors...Budget, Hertz, etc.   

My  friend went to CO and needed a 4x4...best rate he could find was $259/day.  I found it for $88/day on costco. 

Wow.

The Costco prices for what I'm looking for aren't that dramatically better, but they are much better than the non-Costco prices.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Use it all the time. Can't beat the price. I have to think they've got a 15-20% below lowest advertised rate deal.

Beware Alamo is going to give you a hardcore added insurance spiel.

Ok, let's talk about rental car insurance.

Do you need it from the rental agency?

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

Here’s a rule of thumb: if somebody is trying to push something on you, you don’t need it.

Hmm, maybe true. Maybe not.

I'm sure they are making a profit off it (insurance). But the question, to me anyway, is what are the risks/costs if something goes tits up? 

Which is, imo, the entire concept behind insurance.

Some credit cards cover you if your charge the rental on the card and some don't.  Also all credit card insurance programs are not the same.  On some programs you will have to front the cost of a claim and then get reimbursed.  You can enroll in a coverage plan on some cards that will charge you a small fee (much less than the rental place) when you charge the rental to that card and then give you premium coverage.  Review you card benefits and plan ahead.  The insurance sold by the rental car places is outrageously expensive and you can usually do much better on one of your credit cards.

6 hours ago, XYZ said:

Here’s a rule of thumb: if somebody is trying to push something on you, you don’t need it.

Except for those Best Buy extended warranties on that $499 flat screen, you absolutely need to pay $199 for two more years of coverage on those bad boys. It's a no brainer.  

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Some credit cards cover you if your charge the rental on the card and some don't.  Also all credit card insurance programs are not the same.  On some programs you will have to front the cost of a claim and then get reimbursed.  You can enroll in a coverage plan on some cards that will charge you a small fee (much less than the rental place) when you charge the rental to that card and then give you premium coverage.  Review you card benefits and plan ahead.  The insurance sold by the rental car places is outrageously expensive and you can usually do much better on one of your credit cards.

Mine won't cover pickups or SUVs on pickup frames(Suburban/Expedition/etc).

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP