Are top down bottom up shades worth it?

Or is it one of those sucker buys where after a few months you hardly ever use them?

I was quoted 60 dollars per shade for this feature. Our quote includes them on all windows(17).. not happening. I was thinking just the 3 main level(2 living room, 1 sun room) south facing windows where the sun is and the office window that faces west. I have a 2 story house that faces west

We need window fixtures badly but i'm trying to get this first installment to come down about 1300 bucks and get the important rooms done first then worry about the rest later.

Any tips on what you guys did? My last house was a typical 9 window starter home which cost us 650 bucks through home depot for faux wood blinds so the sticker shock of this guy's quote was a bit higher than I prepared for

It really depends on your needs. I found the TD/BU to be perfect for rooms like bathrooms where you want to be able to see outside but would like the lower part of the window to be shaded. I know people that have them in their living areas and us them all the time.

As far as the prices you're being quoted - they don't seem all that out of line with what you paid last time. Right now Home Depot charges $100 for up to 10 windows that brings your per window cost to $61.

My first house, a tiny cottage near Enfield and Mopac, had "bottom up" fabric shades.  On my first visit to check out the place when I was house-hunting, I quickly learned why.  My realtor and I knocked on the door, and a couple of minutes later a very attractive woman in her mid-30's or so answered.  She was holding her baby, who was feeding.

Mom was completely nude.  She was a nudist.  It was a bit eye-opening.

Anyway, she installed bottom-up shades so she could get some light but maintain privacy.  They worked great.  Why she cared so much about privacy, I'm not sure, as she seemed happy to open the door to just about anybody, but whatever.

Oh yeah, her husband was a state legislator.  I vaguely recall he was one of the guys caught in a South Congress prostitution sting.

No pics.  I'd share 'em if I had 'em, but this was pre-cell days.  All I have is a very clear image permanently burned into my brain.

Edited by jimmyjazz

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My first house, a tiny cottage near Enfield and Mopac, had "bottom up" fabric shades.  On my first visit to check out the place when I was house-hunting, I quickly learned why.  My realtor and I knocked on the door, and a couple of minutes later a very attractive woman in her mid-30's or so answered.  She was holding her baby, who was feeding.

Mom was completely nude.  She was a nudist.  It was a bit eye-opening.

Anyway, she installed bottom-up shades so she could get some light but maintain privacy.  They worked great.  Why she cared so much about privacy, I'm not sure, as she seemed happy to open the door to just about anybody, but whatever.

Oh yeah, her husband was a state legislator.  I vaguely recall he was one of the guys caught in a South Congress prostitution sting.

No pics.  I'd share 'em if I had 'em, but this was pre-cell days.  All I have is a very clear image permanently burned into my brain.

I’m sure they were a gift from the neighborhood wives.