Keith Raniere: Nxivm leader arrested and charged with sex trafficking

bernorange

Keith Raniere, the leader of an elusive US self-help group, has been arrested by the FBI in Mexico and charged with sex trafficking.

Federal prosecutors allege Mr Raniere oversaw a "slave and master" system in his group called Nxivm, where female members were expected to have sex with him and were branded with his initials.

He is expected to appear in court on the charges in Texas on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-43550908

... On foreign soil, FBI special agents generally do not have authority to make arrests except in certain cases where, with the consent of the host country, Congress has granted the FBI extraterritorial jurisdiction.

https://www.fbi.gov/about/faqs/what-authority-do-fbi-special-agents-have-to-make-arrests-in-the-united-states-its-territories-or-on-foreign-soil

Ha ha! /Nelson Muntz

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It really makes you wonder, how did this guy come up with something that holds sway over intelligent and rich people?

Just because someone has money, doesn't mean they are intelligent.  See Hollywood.

While this guy was no doubt no good on many fronts, I find it somewhat amusing that the feds have him on "sex trafficking."  I'm sure it's not too difficult to shoehorn his various malfeasances into the sex trafficking statute.

But this isn't what people think of when they think of sex trafficking and it isn't what international humanitarian organizations have in mind, either.  The fucking FBI and their "comstats."

Could be yes.  Also, a federal priority for some unknowable political reason.  Some FBI agent(s) is parlaying this into a higher profile.  Note how often the news will trumpet "Sex Trafficking" and how peripheral are the actual crimes most of the time, e.g. a small-town hooker/john sting (where no doubt some of the hookers were trafficked), this.  They never seem to find cargo containers full of Eastern European or Asian women or the people who do that.

5 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I suppose it's possible that the sex trafficking is just the first of many charges to come?  Tip of the iceberg?  Or perhaps it was the charge they needed to gain extraterritorial jurisdiction in Mexico.

Definitely just the tip.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Bump.

It went to the jury today.  The defense did not call any witnesses.  

Any lawyers want to comment on that strategy? 

Two basic possibilities:  nothing to defend with or some confidence that the government didn't meet it's burden of proof.

I always figured being in a cult was a pretty good gig for the cult leader.

How does one start a cult anyway?
"I've been involved in a number of cults both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower, but you make more money as a leader" - Creed Bratton
  • Like 1