Happy Birthday Texas!

TwiceHorn

One of my favorite stories: I have a minor in History, if I took the foreign language requirement, I would have that degree as well. So, as a young father, I was always telling CHIEF Jr. cowboy stories, American Revolution, Civil War, and Texas independence history. When he was about 5, we took him to San Antonio for the weekend. He COULD NOT WAIT, to see the Alamo, he was gonna look for bullets on the battlefield, see if he could find an old rusty Mexican bayonet, maybe some bones.

He was SO excited, Mrs. CHIEF and myself just kept grinning at each other. I had booked a hotel room at the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk, asked for a room on the top floor facing the Alamo. Of course CHIEF Jr. wasn't having it, "WE GOTTA GO OUT TO THE ALAMO FIRST". He was having a breakdown when we parked downtown, he was in tears. I was carrying him, he had his head on my shoulder, with his face buried in my neck. So, of course, we walk right up in front of the mission, I tap him on the shoulder, and told him, "look at that buddy". He turns around and immediately gets wide eyed, "THAT'S THE ALAMO", I told him it sure was. Then you see the wheels start turning, he looks around for a bit, then, "Daddy, how did they fight with all of these buildings and stop lights in the way?"

CHIEF

• Like 4

One of my nieces married a guy from El Salvador, Jorge. Nice guy, still struggles to speak English but he's getting better. They've had 3 boys and are huge Texas Rangers baseball fans and the oldest boy Andrew is pretty good at the game for an 8 year old. They live in DFW and have been to quite a few games. Anyway, yesterday the niece posted a picture on FB of them visiting Austin and enjoying Texas' birthday at the capitol. Made me damn proud and it got a bit dusty. Jorge was just another starry eyed immigrant who dreamed of a better life, found his way to Texas and embraces it now as his own heritage and is passing it on to his kids. Probably the best part, Jorge got his US citizenship a year or so ago so I think he's prolly here for the long haul. This is how you assimilate. 

• Like 2