Baldur’s Gate 3

Viper

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this after finding a discounted code for $30. I played the hell out of the originals and so far this is great. I completely suck at combat though, I can’t get past the first group of bandits in the chapel.

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just started this after finding a discounted code for $30. I played the hell out of the originals and so far this is great. I completely suck at combat though, I can’t get past the first group of bandits in the chapel.

No shame in knocking the difficulty down, but some of those encounters are better faced with a more full party (I'd you're not up to 4 people yet in act1) with a couple of levels under their belt

On 2/4/2024 at 9:21 AM, Buzzrock said:

This fight is actually pretty tough as far as Act 1 fights go because you are so low level if you do it organically.  I would say use barrelmancy.  There are a few and the enemies are conveniently hanging out next to them which is a them in Larian games.  Also stealth works well here, from range.  You can start combat from outside the door.

I’m almost done with Act I now and I’m kicking butt having leveled up and added some more gear. I’m using an all girl crew since they have the two tanks and a healer and I’m a sorcerer. The other original characters aren’t interesting to me. Is there a way to get the big Druid to join your party? It would be helpful to have someone who can talk to animals and fit in small spaces.

The game is awesome. Much better than Starfield which I really like but ran out of stuff to do quickly. All the sex is kinda eyebrow raising at first; I’m no prude just wasn’t expecting it. It’s too bad you can’t play across Xbox and PC without paying for it twice.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just started Act 3 yesterday.  Combat did get easier once around level 3 or so as characters could get special abilities and better gear.  I mostly stick to the Shadowheart/Lae'zel/Karlach team, because my character is mainly ranged, so every need is filled.  There are more characters that can be recruited Act 2.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:44 AM, Buzzrock said:

I’m almost done with Act I now and I’m kicking butt having leveled up and added some more gear. I’m using an all girl crew since they have the two tanks and a healer and I’m a sorcerer. The other original characters aren’t interesting to me. Is there a way to get the big Druid to join your party? It would be helpful to have someone who can talk to animals and fit in small spaces.

The game is awesome. Much better than Starfield which I really like but ran out of stuff to do quickly. All the sex is kinda eyebrow raising at first; I’m no prude just wasn’t expecting it. It’s too bad you can’t play across Xbox and PC without paying for it twice.

Yes, you can recruit the druid later.

been on a break from bg3; just started act two, but backtracked my way back into act 1 before the break.

Saw on Steam that I'd spent 56 hours in the game so far. On my first character, not even into act 3 yet.

Lotta game in that game.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:59 PM, Zepol87 said:

Anyone playing on Xbox X? Get home tomorrow and have 2 weeks of nothing before another trip. Deciding if I should buy it

It's one of the biggest, best, and most complete games I've ever played. I'm a sucker for CRPGs, but goddamn BG3 hits 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't had much time to play, so I just hit 100hrs this weekend, and am somewhere in Act 2, with party at Level 9.  One thing I wish there were more of is witty banter between the NPCs.  Dragon Age really nailed that, and having played that just last year, I find myself missing it.  

On 6/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, idigTexas said:

I haven't had much time to play, so I just hit 100hrs this weekend, and am somewhere in Act 2, with party at Level 9.  One thing I wish there were more of is witty banter between the NPCs.  Dragon Age really nailed that, and having played that just last year, I find myself missing it.  

I think I noticed a lot more of it in Act 3. Also helps to have the right group; some characters interact with each other more. I pretty much had to kick Lae'zel to the curb to keep her from fighting Shadowpanties all the time in Act 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I think I noticed a lot more of it in Act 3. Also helps to have the right group; some characters interact with each other more. I pretty much had to kick Lae'zel to the curb to keep her from fighting Shadowpanties all the time in Act 1.

That's good to know.  I let Shadowheart kill Lae'zel for the reasons you noted.  Her dead corpse littered my camp for a long time before it finally disappeared.  Maybe the owl cub ate her?  I will be playing a Gith monk at some point, and will see if Lae'zel grows on me.  

I pretty much roll with Shadow, Karlach, and Astarion all the time with, but will be mixing it up more next time.     

31 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

That's good to know.  I let Shadowheart kill Lae'zel for the reasons you noted.  Her dead corpse littered my camp for a long time before it finally disappeared.  Maybe the owl cub ate her?  I will be playing a Gith monk at some point, and will see if Lae'zel grows on me.  

I pretty much roll with Shadow, Karlach, and Astarion all the time with, but will be mixing it up more next time.     

My son just killed Lae'zel in camp with his main.

All I'll say is that I'm really, really glad I let Lae'zel's story play out. When you get to, oh, beginning of Act 3? You'll see what's up.

That said, I roll with the exact same party you do pretty much all the time unless there's a story reason to drag someone out of camp. It's your four basic food groups right there -- fighter, cleric, mage (me!), thief.

Posted (edited)

Definitely give her a chance on your next play through - she's fucking ridiculous in the late game and she can solo entire enemy parties in a single turn if the dice go your way. 

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ultimaton said:

Definitely give her a chance on your next play through - she's fucking ridiculous in the late game and she can solo entire enemy parties in a single turn if the dice go your way. 

I'd love to, but

Spoiler

She's the one who got kidnapped

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

That said, I roll with the exact same party you do pretty much all the time unless there's a story reason to drag someone out of camp. It's your four basic food groups right there -- fighter, cleric, mage (me!), thief.

Yep, except I went bard instead of mage.  He's not as strong magically as a mage, but he's more versatile, and the Cutting Words ability is hilarious.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Yep, except I went bard instead of mage.  He's not as strong magically as a mage, but he's more versatile, and the Cutting Words ability is hilarious.  

sorc can one-shot entire encounters tho, which is nice

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished my first run through this weekend.  My Tav was a Teifling Paladin, and I ran with Shadowheart, Karlach, and Gale for most of the Acts.  I ended up switching Gale with Minthara for the final battle sequences.  I'm planning on trying a Dark Urge run through with a cleric as my Tav, using Lae'zel, Wyll, and Astarion to just see their reactions and how it goes.  Although, I'm a Minthara fan, so I might end up switching one out for her once I get her to join, assuming the Dark Urge stuff doesn't mess that up.  I know there are some forced interactions, but I've tried to limit the spoilers for them.  

I wanna go through and play this again as a completely different class. I was also a paladin but I think I could have so much more fun as a rogue or something similar. The best thing about this game is that quality that stuff like Zelda: BotW and Metal Gear Solid 5 have, where if you can think up something, you can probably do it, and it'll probably work. Outside the box thinking is super rewarding in this game. Early non-spoiler example is this early part in the game where I had to explore the cave of an owlbear mom who was nursing her cubs to try and find some lost person who had gone hunting a rival tribe or some shit. My first attempt was to just tank through the cave, but the owlbear mom completely destroyed me. So my next attempt was to use invisibility and stealth my way through, but I kept running into shit that would make noise and give me away. So I said fuck it, and cast a spell on myself that would grant me the ability to talk to animals, then buffed my charisma, and went and negotiated essentially a treaty with the owlbear mom such that she'd go out and hunt the members of the rival tribe for me, and even helped me look for the lost man.

Shit like that is what makes this game so much fun.