Dallas crane collapse kills 1, injures 6, many apartments & a parking garage destroyed

clapclapclap

Is it possible that the winds were just something that the crane isn't necessarily designed to handle?  That video seemed to show the crane get flipped over backwards.  I know those cranes are usually "unlocked" (I don't know the correct term for it) when storms come so that they can turn themselves with the wind to help prevent them form getting knocked over.  It doesn't look like this crane got knocked over as much as it looks like the crane got flipped over.  I could be completely talking out of my ass as well. 

10 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

While flinthead is correct, governing bodies such as TxDOT have a right to supersede these to a stricter standard. The operator also allowed leniency in shutting down in adverse conditions. From what I can tell through my ragged screen it appears to be a lattice boom crane. I know on the last several jobs I have been on the limit is 35 miles per hour not taking into consideration the operator or governing bodies discretion.

What really peaks my interest here is that with all of the various weather apps available that we watch continually are  dangerous conditions why this happened.  For the last 2 and 1/2 months I have been running anywhere from 65 ton to 100 ton cranes and monitor the weather continuously. While I am speaking now of strictly conventional cranes, the boom should have been laid down much much earlier if it all possible. If it is a tower crane which I cannot tell for sure you're pretty much at God's mercy. From The limited vision I have of photographs and various videos which I am not even sure came from this accident, the tower crane has no defense at all, nor can I feel whether it was a matter of a boom or tower failing, being blown over or what. However someone should have been monitoring upcoming weather conditions..

One thing I did immediately think of was the fact if there have been several tower crane collapses due to the use inferior Japanese / Chinese bolts used to anchor the base in the past. I hope to God we have learned our lesson and that is not the case here. If it was indeed a tower crane.

I had a gut feeling someone around here would know the legit facts. 

Dallas apartment complex permanently closed after crane collapse, residents to be relocated

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-apartment-complex-permanently-closed-after-crane-collapse-residents-to-be-relocated

The Dallas midrise apartment complex damaged after storms knocked a crane onto part of the building will be permanently closed.

The management company of the Elan City Lights complex announced late Monday that the entire complex is uninhabitable and the 534 people who live in the building will have to move.

One person was killed and five others injured when a construction crane at a property next door was toppled in high winds during Sunday’s severe storms. Cell phone video shot by residents showed how the crane tore through part of the parking garage and multiple occupied units.

Greystar said it will assist residents in finding new places to live, whether it’s at other properties it owns nearby in Dallas or another operator’s apartment complex. If residents choose another Greystar property, they will have all fees typically involved in a new move-in waived. People who choose to live at a non-Greystar complex can use an apartment locator service provided by the company.

The company said it will continue to offer a $100 per diem for residents through Friday and its extended its reservations block at local hotels through Friday night. Every resident’s June rent will be refunded along with all security deposits and an additional $500 dollars in each refund check.

It’s still not known how residents will be able to access their vehicles, many of which are still in the City Lights garage. People given five minutes on Monday day to go back inside their unit and take some of their belongings.

Investigators are still looking into the official cause of Sunday’s crane collapse and if there was any negligence involved. The mangled crane will likely be removed from this site over the next week, but no firm start date on the removal has been announced. 

They really expect residents to find a new apartment within 4 days?

Edited by DallasHorn26

Dallas apartment complex permanently closed after crane collapse, residents to be relocated

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-apartment-complex-permanently-closed-after-crane-collapse-residents-to-be-relocated

The Dallas midrise apartment complex damaged after storms knocked a crane onto part of the building will be permanently closed.

The management company of the Elan City Lights complex announced late Monday that the entire complex is uninhabitable and the 534 people who live in the building will have to move.

One person was killed and five others injured when a construction crane at a property next door was toppled in high winds during Sunday’s severe storms. Cell phone video shot by residents showed how the crane tore through part of the parking garage and multiple occupied units.

Greystar said it will assist residents in finding new places to live, whether it’s at other properties it owns nearby in Dallas or another operator’s apartment complex. If residents choose another Greystar property, they will have all fees typically involved in a new move-in waived. People who choose to live at a non-Greystar complex can use an apartment locator service provided by the company.

The company said it will continue to offer a $100 per diem for residents through Friday and its extended its reservations block at local hotels through Friday night. Every resident’s June rent will be refunded along with all security deposits and an additional $500 dollars in each refund check.

It’s still not known how residents will be able to access their vehicles, many of which are still in the City Lights garage. People given five minutes on Monday day to go back inside their unit and take some of their belongings.

Investigators are still looking into the official cause of Sunday’s crane collapse and if there was any negligence involved. The mangled crane will likely be removed from this site over the next week, but no firm start date on the removal has been announced. 

They really expect residents to find a new apartment within 4 days?
Without a car as well

kind of wondered why the whole complex was being abandoned, but then realized that the parking garage is totally shitted out and thus there is pretty much zero parking for that complex and there is ZERO chance they are going to demo that garage and then put up a similar crane to rebuild the garage.....no current resident would stay through that just because of the crane

I would think a lot of those people could have had longer than 5 minutes to get their shit, but maybe that parking garage is in danger of falling in and taking out a lot of the rest of the building

16 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

kind of wondered why the whole complex was being abandoned, but then realized that the parking garage is totally shitted out and thus there is pretty much zero parking for that complex and there is ZERO chance they are going to demo that garage and then put up a similar crane to rebuild the garage.....no current resident would stay through that just because of the crane

I would think a lot of those people could have had longer than 5 minutes to get their shit, but maybe that parking garage is in danger of falling in and taking out a lot of the rest of the building

Yeah, collect the insurance money and move on is probably the best route to go for whatever company owns the property. 

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, and sue the shit out of the crane operator. 

Yep.  But that will be the insurance company suing the crane operator in concert with the property owner.  The insurance company will pay out for replacement cost of the building.  The property owner is going to sue the crane operator for economic loss on the projected life of the building, and the insurance company is going to sue them for the cost of the building and the injury claims.  

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  But that will be the insurance company suing the crane operator in concert with the property owner.  The insurance company will pay out for replacement cost of the building.  The property owner is going to sue the crane operator for economic loss on the projected life of the building, and the insurance company is going to sue them for the cost of the building and the injury claims.  

Sort of. In Texas insurance companies don't have direct standing to sue for the tortious conduct of a third party, but rather would have to file in the name of the insured entity (assuming the contract allows that). Generally, the more common pattern is that the insured entity files suit, and the insurer would have a subrogated interest  in proceeds from the lawsuit to the extent of any payments it made. 

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Sort of. In Texas insurance companies don't have direct standing to sue for the tortious conduct of a third party, but rather would have to file in the name of the insured entity (assuming the contract allows that). Generally, the more common pattern is that the insured entity files suit, and the insurer would have a subrogated interest  in proceeds from the lawsuit to the extent of any payments it made. 

True.  I was making a basic description of what will likely happen.  It's not exact.  

• Like 1