Dallas crane collapse kills 1, injures 6, many apartments & a parking garage destroyed

clapclapclap

70mph winds in a storm this afternoon, not at all unusual for Texas.  Crane should have been been able to withstand that (or are our building regulations completely incompetent?)  Inexcusable for this to happen.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/09/dfw-weather-damage-reported-throughout-north-texas-as-severe-storms-move-through/#.XP17dj4RwoM.twitter

1 dead, 2 critical, 3 seriously injured.

dallas3.jpg?w=550&h=308

dallas2.jpg?w=550&h=308

D8pmStvWwAAHP1-.jpg

D8pMz9XW4AADt5k.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap

I know there were 60+ mph winds in Corinth. I don't know what a crane should be rated to withstand. 

Edit: Operating max wind speed is 45mph. It doesn't say how much it can withstand.

In their provided manuals, most tower cranes indicate the speed in which they must cease operations to prevent unwanted hazards. The maximum value for this is generally 20 m/s (45 mph), but this amount can vary. A review of in-service wind speeds by the CPA Tower Crane Interest Group concluded that the maximum recommended wind speed for towers in the UK should be 18.5 m/s.

According to ISO 4302:2016 – Cranes – Wind load assessment, the maximum wind speed for all types of cranes installed in the open should be 20 m/s, but this amount can be higher in certain transporter type uploaders that are meant to be exposed to high winds, for which it is at 28.5 m/s.

https://blog.ansi.org/2016/07/wind-effect-on-tower-cranes/

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1

I don't know how much of this is on the building. A huge crane collapsed onto it and there is a dead person and 3 others seriously injured. 

This is going to be a very expensive boo boo for the crane company and the construction company who is on that project. 

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Good ole’ American buildings made out of matchsticks.

And what should they be built from ?  Our platform framed wood structures are pretty strong when subjected to designed for loads. A multi ton crane coming down atop them isn't what you could call an anticipated live or dead load.

• Like 2

Update:

Tornadic storm moving south from Northeastern Burnet/SW WIlliamson County.  Confirmed tornado.  Moving S 35 mph.

This storm is a direct threat to the Austin area, although of course a lot can happen.

These are dangerous storms now.  Be ready to cover stuff/move to safety areas inside (not just tornado but hail etc.).

Maybe they'll calm down, but these are damaging storms coming at us at this point.

Update:

Tornadic storm moving south from Northeastern Burnet/SW WIlliamson County.  Confirmed tornado.  Moving S 35 mph.

This storm is a direct threat to the Austin area, although of course a lot can happen.

These are dangerous storms now.  Be ready to cover stuff/move to safety areas inside (not just tornado but hail etc.).

Maybe they'll calm down, but these are damaging storms coming at us at this point.

Did the tornado north of Austin knock down a crane in Dallas?

I was thinking perhaps with all the recent rain the ground got soft and the base losened in the ground and gave way

but looking at the bottom pic in post #2 it looks like the crane buckled.....I wonder if securing it higher up on that building it was helping to construct would have helped

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I know there were 60+ mph winds in Corinth. I don't know what a crane should be rated to withstand. 

Edit: Operating max wind speed is 45mph. It doesn't say how much it can withstand.

In their provided manuals, most tower cranes indicate the speed in which they must cease operations to prevent unwanted hazards. The maximum value for this is generally 20 m/s (45 mph), but this amount can vary. A review of in-service wind speeds by the CPA Tower Crane Interest Group concluded that the maximum recommended wind speed for towers in the UK should be 18.5 m/s.

According to ISO 4302:2016 – Cranes – Wind load assessment, the maximum wind speed for all types of cranes installed in the open should be 20 m/s, but this amount can be higher in certain transporter type uploaders that are meant to be exposed to high winds, for which it is at 28.5 m/s.

https://blog.ansi.org/2016/07/wind-effect-on-tower-cranes/

My mom said they lost power.

Edited by workswithseed

3rd pic in original post. Why the fuck are 2 people standing at the edge taking pics? Idiots 
Her: Hey boss, I'm going to be late for work. My car just fell 4 stories after a crane collapsed on the parking garage.

Him: Bullshit. That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Her: Hold on. I'll send you a pic.

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

3rd pic in original post. Why the fuck are 2 people standing at the edge taking pics? Idiots 

See pic 4, there’s a chick standing on the fourth floor balcony of that destroyed apartment building.  

To be fair, before killing other residents, that white Dallas crane thought it was over its own building.   Long day of construction fatigue.  And the building was dark and smelled of herbs.  

Edited by Lobo

While flinthead is correct, governing bodies such as TxDOT have a right to supersede these to a stricter standard. The operator also allowed leniency in shutting down in adverse conditions. From what I can tell through my ragged screen it appears to be a lattice boom crane. I know on the last several jobs I have been on the limit is 35 miles per hour not taking into consideration the operator or governing bodies discretion.

What really peaks my interest here is that with all of the various weather apps available that we watch continually are  dangerous conditions why this happened.  For the last 2 and 1/2 months I have been running anywhere from 65 ton to 100 ton cranes and monitor the weather continuously. While I am speaking now of strictly conventional cranes, the boom should have been laid down much much earlier if it all possible. If it is a tower crane which I cannot tell for sure you're pretty much at God's mercy. From The limited vision I have of photographs and various videos which I am not even sure came from this accident, the tower crane has no defense at all, nor can I feel whether it was a matter of a boom or tower failing, being blown over or what. However someone should have been monitoring upcoming weather conditions..

One thing I did immediately think of was the fact if there have been several tower crane collapses due to the use inferior Japanese / Chinese bolts used to anchor the base in the past. I hope to God we have learned our lesson and that is not the case here. If it was indeed a tower crane.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 2

We had to go over to my mom’s at Samuel and Jim Miller because she luckily has power. We may get power back tomorrow at our house but with the damage so wide spread, I bet it’s Tuesday at the earliest. Lots of down power lines, split power poles, and trees on power lines east of White Rock Lake. We got lucky at our house.

You live on my patrol division. Once arrested crackheads stealing the wood materials that built your home. 

Nice, it’s pretty lit up around here at night so hopefully that’s a deterrent. As you know, we’ve had some issues. Our construction manager got his truck stolen after running into his construction trailer for 2 mins earlier this year. The other newer subdivision up the street was where that couple got robbed by those kids from Mesquite with the shotguns last summer. That got me on edge.

I’ve noticed an increased police presence around here recently. Everyone has cameras and once construction winds down, the gates will be operational. Luckily, I have a greater tolerance for crime as I grew up in a tough area in Chicago but I don’t want my kids to go through the same thing. Sad that Griggs didn’t get elected. Johnson better come through on increasing DPDs numbers ASAP.

Sorry, this should have been on the Dallas crime thread.

RIP to the person who died in the crane accident.

47 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

While flinthead is correct, governing bodies such as TxDOT have a right to supersede these to a stricter standard. The operator also allowed leniency in shutting down in adverse conditions. From what I can tell through my ragged screen it appears to be a lattice boom crane. I know on the last several jobs I have been on the limit is 35 miles per hour not taking into consideration the operator or governing bodies discretion.

What really peaks my interest here is that with all of the various weather apps available that we watch continually are  dangerous conditions why this happened.  For the last 2 and 1/2 months I have been running anywhere from 65 ton to 100 ton cranes and monitor the weather continuously. While I am speaking now of strictly conventional cranes, the boom should have been laid down much much earlier if it all possible. If it is a tower crane which I cannot tell for sure you're pretty much at God's mercy. From The limited vision I have of photographs and various videos which I am not even sure came from this accident, the tower crane has no defense at all, nor can I feel whether it was a matter of a boom or tower failing, being blown over or what. However someone should have been monitoring upcoming weather conditions..

One thing I did immediately think of was the fact if there have been several tower crane collapses due to the use inferior Japanese / Chinese bolts used to anchor the base in the past. I hope to God we have learned our lesson and that is not the case here. If it was indeed a tower crane.

* piques

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

it is a tower crane one pic looks like it buckled about 6 floors up

This was a really strange storm.  I started watching it last night in NW Kansas as it was heading mostly ESE.  Then it damn near took a 90 degree turn and started heading and building towards the south.  It hit here (Wichita) about 430am with front winds, 60 to 70 mph.  I watched it throughout the day as it was literally the only major storm on the map.  Such an odd storm moving in an odd way in odd direction.  Seems like those are the ones that end up doing weird shit.  Tornado that hit Lubbock was a storm like that too.  Had pretty decent sized hail here a month ago from similar storm that totaled my roof.  

47 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

This was a really strange storm.  I started watching it last night in NW Kansas as it was heading mostly ESE.  Then it damn near took a 90 degree turn and started heading and building towards the south.  It hit here (Wichita) about 430am with front winds, 60 to 70 mph.  I watched it throughout the day as it was literally the only major storm on the map.  Such an odd storm moving in an odd way in odd direction.  Seems like those are the ones that end up doing weird shit.  Tornado that hit Lubbock was a storm like that too.  Had pretty decent sized hail here a month ago from similar storm that totaled my roof.  

We literally got the biggest lightening show I've ever seen down here, and it wasn't even raining any more, and nothing but green on the radar.  And yeah, weird seeing a storm moving straight south.  

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

it is a tower crane one pic looks like it buckled about 6 floors up

Not good.  Buckling there would indicate metal fatigue/failure, OR use of substandard or foreign steel.  You can bet your bippy this is going to get ugly.

Going to be many, many millions at stake in resulting lawsuit(s).

Edited by SHOOTER12

47 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Not good.  Buckling there would indicate metal fatigue/failure, OR use of substandard or foreign steel.  You can bet your bippy this is going to get ugly.

Going to be many, many millions at stake in resulting lawsuit(s).

I am basing that on this pic only

2wg840n.jpg