The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/n7wWUwrqwLX2sMKG/?mibextid=79PoIi
learn me about a D-28. This seem like a heck of a deal from what I’ve seen. Are these cool? 

Its considered by many to be the quintessential Martin model, especially in bluegrass circles.  It's probably very resonant, boomy low end (though less than some other Martin models like the HD-28), and loud (which is why bluegrass guys love them).  Ad does not say a year but it looks fairly new.  Modern Martin quality control is pretty good, imo, so less chance its a dud than with some other brands.  Good price too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

What are they normal? 

Reverb says standard Martin D-28's in very good condition are worth $2012-$2299 and it's based on "recent" sales history.  That is without shipping, and inclusive of Reverb's 5% cut that a seller is paying.  I tend to subtract the 5% if buying outside of Reverb, which would make the range $1911 to $2184.  So I think that guitar, if in a very good condition, is probably priced right at the low end of its worth.  If it were me, I'd go play it and if blows you away, don't leave without it.  If it doesn't blow you away, I'd make a low-ball offer that gives you a built in resale profit margin and if they take it great, if not, return to lusting over Hummingbird's.

I put recent in quotes, because there are usually much fewer sales of high ticket items and the small sample size can make their range iffy.  That said, there have been 7 sold on Reverb in very good condition over the last year and the price ranged from $1995 to $2690.  The cheapest available on Reverb right now is $2199 + $100 shipping.

You can check out their price guide here https://reverb.com/p/martin-d-28#price-guide.

image.thumb.png.f05b68368b7a4163f851856348806cfa.png

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Reverb says standard Martin D-28's in very good condition are worth $2012-$2299 and it's based on "recent" sales history.  That is without shipping, and inclusive of Reverb's 5% cut that a seller is paying.  I tend to subtract the 5% if buying outside of Reverb, which would make the range $1911 to $2184.  So I think that guitar, if in a very good condition, is probably priced right at the low end of its worth.  If it were me, I'd go play it and if blows you away, don't leave without it.  If it doesn't blow you away, I'd make a low-ball offer that gives you a built in resale profit margin and if they take it great, if not, return to lusting over Hummingbird's.
I put recent in quotes, because there are usually much fewer sales of high ticket items and the small sample size can make their range iffy.  That said, there have been 7 sold on Reverb in very good condition over the last year and the price ranged from $1995 to $2690.  The cheapest available on Reverb right now is $2199 + $100 shipping.
You can check out their price guide here https://reverb.com/p/martin-d-28#price-guide.
image.thumb.png.f05b68368b7a4163f851856348806cfa.png

This is the way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here's a good rundown of the diifference between the 28 and the HD28. I think some of the details of how they do the "forward shifted bracing" has changed in the past couple of years, although that may only be relevant to HD28s. Short version is that in the late '40s, they made some changes to the D28 that involved using straight braces (rather than scalloped braces) and shifting the X in the bracing back a bit. They also replaced the herringbone purfling with the binding you see on D28's. Sometime in the 1970s, Martin introduced the HD28 as an alternate to the D28 that more closely adhered to the '30s/early'40s specs. I believe that sonically the difference is something like the HD is supposed to be a bit more complex and the D is supposed to be a bit more strong and direct. Both are going to sound like big full Martins and will be great guitars.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/maury_s_blog/view/185830/martin_d_28_vs_hd_28