Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

SIAP, for those in Austin with 5-17 year olds who like to swim and who aren’t on a year-round team, Parks and Rec opened up swim team registration earlier this month.  Not sure how long registration runs, but the season is from early June through mid/late July.  Last year the kids finished the season by swimming at UT’s natatorium.  Only $80 for 4 days a week practice and saturday swim meets at the various neighborhood pools   

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/swim-teams

Many/most of the neighborhood pools have teams

I hope I can find an area team in Round Rock a couple years from now. They were great, cheap swim lessons as a kid and I always loved the meets.

16 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I hope I can find an area team in Round Rock a couple years from now. They were great, cheap swim lessons as a kid and I always loved the meets.

There are plenty of teams in and around Round Rock.  Some are neighborhood specific like the Avery Ranch Redfish some are open at all like the Brushy Creek Marlins.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/16/2024 at 3:27 PM, LonghornJones said:

I am so jealous...of the self medication and drinking part.

Grand Floridian Pool bar was good to dad. Same for JW Marriott on Marco Island. Disney with twin 6YO's was fun, minor meltdowns but all in all a success. 

the Boy rode Tron, Space Mountain and GOTG and really loved Thunder Mountain. think I have a rollercoaster kid. 

On 4/22/2024 at 7:45 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

IMG_4115.jpeg

IMG_4059.jpeg

Solid choice in the green accent wall… had the same color in the nursery/baby room for both of my guys. 

I am irrationally proud that my 2.5 year old’s favorite shirt is currently his “go horns” shirt. I taught him how to do the hook em a little while back and he’s finally able to get his fingers to do it right. Multiple times a day he will just throw up a hook em and yell “go hooor-wuns!”. I just missed it in the picture, but he did it while riding his horsie like it was south Austin’s mom.

IMG_5061.png

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Solid choice in the green accent wall… had the same color in the nursery/baby room for both of my guys. 

I am irrationally proud that my 2.5 year old’s favorite shirt is currently his “go horns” shirt. I taught him how to do the hook em a little while back and he’s finally able to get his fingers to do it right. Multiple times a day he will just throw up a hook em and yell “go hooor-wuns!”. I just missed it in the picture, but he did it while riding his horsie like it was south Austin’s mom.

IMG_5061.png

Hell yeah man. 

I've never done that type of wall before and it was a lot of YT research and a few trips to home depot to get it done but it turned out great I think. The wife loves it so that's all that matters. 

here are some progress pics. Took 3-4 days total with the paint drying and extra coats. 

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

That looks great. I have my office in the same kind of green, it’s a nice energy. I would laugh at my wife if she suggested that I put up that wall accent thing, so good on you for being a handy dad.

took this picture at the park last week. Sometimes a picture just captures your kid being a kid in a way that triggers your love feelings.

IMG_7612.thumb.jpeg.f5363df279ef5164a7a1defc17716279.jpeg

also I found a new hobby in dressing the baby and sending the wife outfit pictures. She did not think that this made him look like a “rizzly bear”.

IMG_7602.thumb.jpeg.42a75e9380966e6ece6f603f93a36c63.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1