pepper brooks

2020 Little League Thread of Dominance

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

our league has suspended all activity until at least second week of April. 

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Son's league just suspended activities through 3/22. Obviously doubt very seriously they will be up and running again on that date.

5 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

WHLL said they will follow EISD & AISD direction. Those schools opt to close longer then LL will postpone further. Feel terrible for kids.

Apparently Little League International sent out a note this afternoon/evening recommending all leagues shut down until April 6th. My son's league just updated their suspension to that date.

https://www.littleleague.org/player-safety/coronavirus-update/

Edited by Huckleberry

Coach just texted a reminder that there’s practice today. So no plans to alter or halt things. Guy is a high school principal, but I get the distinct feeling that people here think we are remote enough that it’s not an issue, or that no positive tests in cody means no cases in cody, or that it’s just the flu. 
they might not understand like I do how many adidas employees have been traveling back and forth from Los Angeles every week for months. 

im happy to appear foolish when this is over. 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Coach just texted a reminder that there’s practice today. So no plans to alter or halt things. Guy is a high school principal, but I get the distinct feeling that people here think we are remote enough that it’s not an issue, or that no positive tests in cody means no cases in cody, or that it’s just the flu. 
they might not understand like I do how many adidas employees have been traveling back and forth from Los Angeles every week for months. 

im happy to appear foolish when this is over. 

Some of the LL fields around here are actually on property owned by school districts, so they are forced off even if a coach wants to practice.

Our situation is a private indoor facility to which I paid $200 for annual use. I think he figured most of the kids went to public school, so practice was no additional risk. With no school, now it is. 

38 minutes ago, jkates said:

Some of the LL fields around here are actually on property owned by school districts, so they are forced off even if a coach wants to practice.

The ones for are league are owned by the city. The local school district has canceled everything and the city seems to be announcing closures one at a time so no guidance there. The league president did say they were basically going to follow what the school district does. But if this thing stretches to summer they'll have to look elsewhere for guidance.

Whole thing is FUBAR. Is there a chance that leagues are allowed to have their regular seasons in June and July? So many possibilities right now. Tournament teams (all-stars) go play the tournament while the other kids still play the regular season? Could get wild.

Maybe a super-shortened tournament. A global single elimination tournament may be what ends up happening if they can get it in at all. Lots of districts and regions have double elimination or pool play before single elimination.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The ones for are league are owned by the city. The local school district has canceled everything and the city seems to be announcing closures one at a time so no guidance there. The league president did say they were basically going to follow what the school district does. But if this thing stretches to summer they'll have to look elsewhere for guidance.

Whole thing is FUBAR. Is there a chance that leagues are allowed to have their regular seasons in June and July? So many possibilities right now. Tournament teams (all-stars) go play the tournament while the other kids still play the regular season? Could get wild.

Maybe a super-shortened tournament. A global single elimination tournament may be what ends up happening if they can get it in at all. Lots of districts and regions have double elimination or pool play before single elimination.

I put in a LOT of work in 2 new roles this year with our sports association that is now for naught.

Role 1: Scheduler. I created the schedule for all of our divisions. 168 teams in 7 divisions. Well, all of those schedules are now worthless.

Role 2: Youth Umpire Coordinator. We have 7th-12th graders that umpire our lower level games. We had over 150 kids looking to earn a paycheck this spring. Managing that was going to be a lot. But now....nothing.

I miss it all.

No doubt a whole bunch of work seems pointless at this point. Hang in there, man. Still might get some baseball this season.

Yeah, hang up the cleats because this season is over.

With that said, practicing at home doesn't have to end. I ran a couple of practices with my daughter this weekend. Had her fielding grounders and flyballs for awhile. Did some batting practice, tee work, soft toss and pitching.

For shits and giggles I let her pitch baseballs for awhile.

6 hours ago, jkates said:

I put in a LOT of work in 2 new roles this year with our sports association that is now for naught.

Role 1: Scheduler. I created the schedule for all of our divisions. 168 teams in 7 divisions. Well, all of those schedules are now worthless.

Role 2: Youth Umpire Coordinator. We have 7th-12th graders that umpire our lower level games. We had over 150 kids looking to earn a paycheck this spring. Managing that was going to be a lot. But now....nothing.

I miss it all.

Lol. Our LL is 4 teams at every level. Schedule making is...not difficult. 

13 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Think we will ever play?  Wonder if rec leagues can be successful in June/July?  May have to redraft teams or combine some due to kids dropping out. 

Nope.  I think even summer is out.  Fall ball is the only hope, and I'm getting less optimistic.  If there's no pro or college sports in the fall, I doubt many high schools will want to risk it, which will of course filter down to youth/rec sports.   

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Nope.  I think even summer is out.  Fall ball is the only hope, and I'm getting less optimistic.  If there's no pro or college sports in the fall, I doubt many high schools will want to risk it, which will of course filter down to youth/rec sports.   

Pretty big for everyone to miss a full year of development. 

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Tell me about it.  I seem to be more upset about it than my kids do though.  

On 4/4/2020 at 2:55 PM, Don Johnson said:

I feel for those kids and parents that were entering their last season of Little League, especially those that were expecting an All Star run in the Summer. The kids 11 and under should be fine but this year's crop of 12 year olds were dealt a bad hand. Similar situation for high school and college seniors.

There are a lot of people that miss out all the time due to injuries. If the kid is 11 or under I would say this is just a bump in the road. If they are 12 and are clearly talented enough for a higher level of baseball it is also just a bump in the road.

I used to coach a kid that was very talented but had issues with his growth plates and couldn't play as an 11 year old and only played half a season as a 12 year old. Despite missing out on a couple of seasons he preserved and by 14U was passed his health issues and became a major talent. Lettered 3 years in high school and is currently in a DII program.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:59 PM, bschoolprof said:

Tell me about it.  I seem to be more upset about it than my kids do though.  

This is usually the case.

For those with kids that haven't hit puberty yet, familiarize yourself with Osgood-Schlatter and Severs disease, particularly those that are catchers. All 3 of my son's had issues with O.S. around 13 years old. Actually a good portion of their teammates had issues with it. It seemed the basketball/baseball players struggled the most with O.S. disease.

Anyways, baseball puts a lot of stress on the joints, ligaments and tendons. To keep your kid who is going through major growth spurts on the field long term, make sure to keep an eye out for any budding health issues and don't be afraid to temporarily pull them from playing.