Side Yard Gate Ideas

I'm looking to install a gate on the sides of the house to keep the dogs contained to the main back yard area and prevent them from digging/playing in the mud.  Once side stays mushy due to the neighbor's pool system, and the other goes from mud to concrete depending on the weather and neither side gets a ton of good light.  I assume those conditions are why we dont get any grass to grow in those areas.

Anyway...I'm just looking for some ideas/suggestions on how to approach it to get something in place.  I don't need full privacy fence/gate height, and i don't really care if we go wood or metal.  This is a rent house, so i'm looking for something fairly painless that looks half way decent.

First side can be seen here.  Challenges are how we connect/butt to the house, and the fact that the fence post (entire fence on this side, really) is garbage.  I'm going to have to sink something here and not use the existing post.  Width is 80 inches and it's straight across.

side-1.jpg

Second side might be a bit easier.  I've got a solid metal post I can attach to and run to the corner of the house.  55" gap here, and slight 6" angle from post to corner.  I was thinking a single swing gate off of the metal pole might work.

side-2.jpg

Edited by George

A single swing gate will work on both sides.

You'll just need to install a new metal post on that 80 inch side.

BTW, since you can't grow grass, why not just lay down some flagstones and fill gaps with pebbles, down both sides?

That will significantly improve the look. 

• Like 1

You could get a couple of these to mount posts in the ground.  Brace the posts to the masonry and the fence and hang the gate from there.  Easier to scrap vs. setting posts in concrete and should be sturdy enough to keep the dogs contained.  I used one of these post mounts when I was working close to a retaining wall with a fence and gate and it's been solid for nearly 20 years.

simpson-strong-tie-post-bases-fpbs44-64_

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

If he’s gonna brace it to the masonry, it needs to be next to the house. And of course if he tries to drive that thing in the ground next to the house he’ll be hitting the concrete footing.

Sorry.  I meant he should move the spike out as far as you need to move it (the one next to the house).  Then you use some short bits of 2x4 to brace the post to the masonry.  Since it's a rental, I was trying to give him a way to have posts without using concrete or anything permanent other than a few holes, here and there.

I fall into the category of not of a professional fence builder, but has built a fence.  So there could be a better way to do it.  But that's one way to do it.

Edited by dcbc

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

You could get a couple of these to mount posts in the ground.  Brace the posts to the masonry and the fence and hang the gate from there.  Easier to scrap vs. setting posts in concrete and should be sturdy enough to keep the dogs contained.  I used one of these post mounts when I was working close to a retaining wall with a fence and gate and it's been solid for nearly 20 years.

simpson-strong-tie-post-bases-fpbs44-64_

not sure if I should give pos or neg rep for a good idea...

simpson-strong-tie-post-bases-fpbs44-64_1000.jpg

That’s a pretty nifty device. How big and strong is the dog and how ambitious is he? You may want landlord permission to drop a full post if he’s likely to test the fence.

I built a 4 ft tall white picket fence to accomplish the same thing. However my dog is less than 30 lbs. I know someone who put in a 6 ft chain link gate and it looks like a prison