Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

Since this is the catch-all bball thread - aggy flipped another ex-VaTech commit: https://247sports.com/Player/Emanuel-Miller-46041939/

Two notes:

a) I can't believe short shorts are back in style. Always looks silly as hell.

b) These basketball factories are just so bad at sounding like real schools. "Prolific Prep"??? Their homepage is just a big Adidas ad (what a shocker he ended up at three-stripe school) and a basketball schedule: https://www.prolificprep.org/

Edited by texifornia

On 5/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Was just looking over the ranking and such, it’s amazing how good of class Memphis could end up with. Maybe we need to hire a famous star and see what happens. 

Recruits make a pretty Penny when they commit to Memphis. 

On 5/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Was just looking over the ranking and such, it’s amazing how good of class Memphis could end up with. Maybe we need to hire a famous star and see what happens. 

Alabama tried it and it was a failure

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How long is the moratorium for schools not being allowed to recruit a player who has a relative on staff? I could've sworn the NCAA enacted a rule of this nature in the recent past.

Moratorium doesn't apply if they're an assistant coach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goodman said:

Do we really have a chance of landing him? 

definitely. it's still wide open for him right now, but i suspect we'll be in his final 10 if not final 5. we were his first offer when he was just a freshman, plus he's close with Jarrett Allen and obviously his family lives here in town, so we have all of that going for us.

of course his mom played ball at A&M, and he plays for Blake and Aaron Griffin's AAU team, and then there's the fact he'll be a high 4 star if not a 5 star, so "realistic chance" starts to get a bit murky with all of these things factored in. Oh, and if Duke and/or UK end up offering then it's really anyone's guess. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

take this for what it's worth, but it turns out that the two biggest, most important prospects in the area are in pretty tight with Jaxson Hayes.

326bdd8ce9c4f3332a0c8d76330fa399.jpg

let's be real, Brown and Adams are must-gets for this program right now. if we look up 3-4 years from now and the two biggest talents to come through Austin in years (possibly ever) ended up somewhere else (god forbid KU, OU, or A&M), then that's a huge failure on our part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea and it sucks that we could be in a coaching transition year which could hurt us in getting them here. This in my opinion would be bad for CDC I’m not getting rid of him last year and waiting when you know Shaka sucks. 

I am curious if two major prospects that love Shaka would make cdc keep him another year even if we are meh again.

At what point are we gonna realize one and dones don’t work here? Shit we had KD and didn’t make any serious noise. Maybe having two on the same squad would make a difference but our season would still rest on juniors and seniors if we’re gonna make a run.

What year in NBA talking about doing away with this dumbass rule, 2022? That’ll be a good day for college basketball.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We can't pass on elite talent on our doorstep.

You’re obviously right, but I also don’t  know that we should hold a lame duck coach who’s been a huge disappointment just to nab these guys.

Even if we get em, is Shaka gonna know what do with them?

Edited by ChemicalHorn

2 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

You’re obviously right, but I also don’t  know that we should hold a lame duck coach who’s been a huge disappointment just to nab these guys.

Even if we get em, is Shaka gonna know what do with them?

I agree, we shouldn't hold on to underperforming coaches for the sake of elite talent.

I just think the idea that we shouldn't go after these guys at all is silly. Good coaches will figure out how to maximize whatever they have on the roster.