Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

Kai Jones picked up a FSU CB yesterday. 

Like I said above, I won't be surprised if Jones 1) doesn't have a spot and 2) at a minimum is being slow played right now until we see what happens with McDaniels and Baker. 

We really need a wing to go along with Williams and hopefully the two bigs (McDaniels and Baker). I don't see us taking 3 bigs. They are all kind of different molds but still think we will look at taking a wing over another PF/C. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The real question is who on earth are the big-money Creighton donors???

That's about how I've heard Texas would prefer to color outside the lines. The path to which "help me with housing" is corrupt is a long road. Getting the dude a no-money down loan on a house below market value in Austin from a happy and willing seller might not be a bucket of cash, but it's also likely not illegal if the seller is of sound mind and body. I don't know. This kind of thing from our end doesn't bother me, like, at all. Throw in a stake on an oil lease somewhere while we're at it. Let's do that with Evans older brother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That's about how I've heard Texas would prefer to color outside the lines. The path to which "help me with housing" is corrupt is a long road. Getting the dude a no-money down loan on a house below market value in Austin from a happy and willing seller might not be a bucket of cash, but it's also likely not illegal if the seller is of sound mind and body. I don't know. This kind of thing from our end doesn't bother me, like, at all. Throw in a stake on an oil lease somewhere while we're at it. Let's do that with Evans older brother.

I can personally attest to speaking with a couple players who went to the NBA from a basketball blue blood who had the same housing deal. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This was my initial thought. The problem is this strategy isn't that effective when cash is being thrown around. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, elite recruiting hasn't been Shaka's problem.

It's not a criticism. Just saying that strategy for Evans brother probably won't work if cash is being thrown around. 

But CTJ's description is my guess for what was offered and I'm sure basketball isn't the only program at Texas that's making those type offers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m going to assume, based on absolutely zero other info, that this is why Morrell was let go. 

Morrell wasn't let go. He was offered a head coaching opportunity. If you think Shaka fired Morrell for this we wouldn't have any coaches. 

Edited by texasstrong12

From Wells:

— Texas is hosting 2020 Prior Lake (MN) 4-star PFDawson Garcia for an official visit this weekend.

Garcia holds offers from UT, Xavier, Butler, and Baylor among the few.

— Austin Westlake’s senior Will Baker is getting ready for his senior year and his a budding filmmaker. https://twitter.com/travisrecek/status/1050141569641316352?s=21

The big man added some nasty to his game over the summer and is becoming an all-around bad ass. I still really like Texas here. A lot.

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From Wells:

Reveal hidden contents

— Texas is hosting 2020 Prior Lake (MN) 4-star PFDawson Garcia for an official visit this weekend.

Garcia holds offers from UT, Xavier, Butler, and Baylor among the few.

— Austin Westlake’s senior Will Baker is getting ready for his senior year and his a budding filmmaker. https://twitter.com/travisrecek/status/1050141569641316352?s=21

The big man added some nasty to his game over the summer and is becoming an all-around bad ass. I still really like Texas here. A lot.

sign with texas & get your short film played on lhn year round will 

Spoiler

Texas: “Coach Shaka (Smart) and Coach (Darrin) Horn, I have a good relationship with them. I talk to them all the time and they just tell me to keep working hard and keep getting better. They have come and visited me a lot, and it is just a good relationship with them.”

evan daniels says sdsu & uw lead

Edited by Carl Winslow

KJ Adams transferred to Westlake. No idea if he'll be eligible to play this year, but that's going to be a pretty great team if he is. And if we land Baker, this could be the beginning or a Westlake to Texas pipeline that includes KJ. And trust me when i say that KJ is a unicorn; it's rare to have a work ethic like him, but it's 100x more rare to have his athletic gifts. He's the total package, just an outstanding young man. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

@Goo Punch what's your opinion on Jones?

I have a buddy that is way deep into AAU and CBB. He loves Jones and think Smart's going to land Baker as well, so you have the Big 3 and then wait on McLendon (if that isn't his name, you know who I mean). That guy won't do anything until the spring and while others will talk about SDSU, he thinks Texas is the favorite. He thinks very little of Smart, but thinks this class is greatness if they wind up with those 4. I'd like to see Smart put a nice season together, dammit.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have a buddy that is way deep into AAU and CBB. He loves Jones and think Smart's going to land Baker as well, so you have the Big 3 and then wait on McLendon (if that isn't his name, you know who I mean). That guy won't do anything until the spring and while others will talk about SDSU, he thinks Texas is the favorite. He thinks very little of Smart, but thinks this class is greatness if they wind up with those 4. I'd like to see Smart put a nice season together, dammit.

That's the talk on other boards. Looks like it will be Williams, Baker, and Jones for sure, then make room for McDaniels if he wants in.

With Ramey and Coleman in the previous two classes, it makes landing a combo guard / point guard a luxury in this class, I guess.

Edited by Machinator

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

@Goo Punch what's your opinion on Jones?

it's really interesting to me that Jones is ranked as a 4-star, top 50 player, because physically he reminds me of Jarrett Allen but with way more game to this point. I mean way more game. I suppose that Allen's defense and upside made him a more of a one-and-done candidate than Jones, but I don't think there's any question that Jones has more all around basketball skill. He's a much more fluid athlete, he has a more developed low post game, he can actually shoot and handle a little bit- I'd be really excited to add both him and Baker to the program, and I think that both would stay for 2-3 years at least. 

37 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Baker, Jones, and Williams would be a very good class. If you add McDaniels, it moves to a great class. A point/combo guard isnt needed in this class as you will have Coleman, Ramey, Long, and Febres back in 2019. There is also the potential Andrew Jones comes back for 2019 (at best he will be get a partial season in). I think Long is going to be a solid addtion, with his ball-handling, shooting, and creation ability. People seem to underestimate him due to his height and limited knowledge of none Tier 1 colleges, but Long has some very positive skills and took Mount St. Marys to the NCAA tournament as a primary option. 

I think that if Jones is healthy for the 2019 season that he will more likely be playing for a D league team than for Texas. 

• Like 1