Jump to content
Goo Punch

Trust The Process

Recommended Posts

Simmons and Embiid look like All NBA candidates. Covington looks good. Saric fouling a little too much but looks good. Fultz still has a ways to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got some problems

Saric is lost, Fultz is not in a good spot to grow into any kind of role, and there isn't enough veteran presence to stabilize when shit goes wrong. How ironic that the moves Colangelo made last year (Belinelli, Ilyasova) are what is lacking this year. The East basically sucks so there should be playoffs again. But a major move will be needed in the offseason if not sooner, and the lottery days are over for now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philly wasted this summer.  The have one free agency period left before they get capped out with a Simmons extension.

It's probably too late, and they might not have what Minnesota wants, but they should quietly reach out to see what it would take to get Butler.  That would cure a lot of their issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having a GM this summer killed them.  They should have made a move for Kawhi but they stood around scratching their ass.  Now they may have to make a similar offer for a poor man's version (still very good) in Butler, but bet they don't.   They'll try and do something in the offseason.  They're going to end up trading Fultz and may well end up wasting Simmons rookie contract.  Smh.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

as of right now, they are at best 4th in the eastern conference.  they needed to make a move big time.

Fixd.

As of today, assuming everyone is available except Simmons and Embiid, whats the market for Fultz?  Reddick has some value, but that takes away your sole shooting threat.  Saric?  He seems to be on the verge of...something.  Probably still finding his way.  Covington?  Overrated as shit.  

Philly got a lot of mileage out of signing two vets from Atlanta last spring who could fill it up, then played a suck ass schedule (not their fault) the last two months of the season.  The vets walk, they don't replace that production, and here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Embiid is looking more efficient on offense and has clearly worked on trying to limit his turnovers from last year.  Considering he was already very advanced defensively, his new possible offensive upgrade is making him into a complete two-way center at a very elite level.  It's exciting watching him develop from his injured past to where he is right now where he might get in the future.  I'm extremely excited for the NBA right now with big men like Davis, Embiid, and Jokic out there even with the calls of death knells for big men in today's NBA.  I think Simmons is also an incredible talent but is still 1-2 years away from being a more complete player.  Having said that, he's still amazing.  Philly needs to take advantage of their cap window.  I think they only have like mid-60s in cap for next year, so they can make moves before Simmons is up, and they have an albatross contract in Chandler coming off the books too.  Having Covington at his current rate is huge too, because I think he's very high value at that price when you consider what many other teams are paying for similar - and often inferior - wings.  I think it's one of the best contract gambles in the NBA right now, he's already a good value and could end up even better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UTDD said:

Embiid is looking more efficient on offense and has clearly worked on trying to limit his turnovers from last year.  Considering he was already very advanced defensively, his new possible offensive upgrade is making him into a complete two-way center at a very elite level.  It's exciting watching him develop from his injured past to where he is right now where he might get in the future.  I'm extremely excited for the NBA right now with big men like Davis, Embiid, and Jokic out there even with the calls of death knells for big men in today's NBA.  I think Simmons is also an incredible talent but is still 1-2 years away from being a more complete player.  Having said that, he's still amazing.  Philly needs to take advantage of their cap window.  I think they only have like mid-60s in cap for next year, so they can make moves before Simmons is up, and they have an albatross contract in Chandler coming off the books too.  Having Covington at his current rate is huge too, because I think he's very high value at that price when you consider what many other teams are paying for similar - and often inferior - wings.  I think it's one of the best contract gambles in the NBA right now, he's already a good value and could end up even better.  

They had a similar cap situation this summer.  They were forced to re-sign Redick as he's the only person who can shoot and they traded for Chandler's expiring contract.  They have Bayless' expiring to flip at the deadline (had this summer too).  They were in a great place financially this summer, actually a better place than next summer, because they didn't have to be desperate and had young cheap talent ready to trade (Fultz, Saric, Smith, and even Covington) but sat on their hands.  If they don't make a major run to the ECF, they'll be forced to shake it up.  Fultz and Simmons are too similar players to really flourish with each other, although a Saric or another 3 and D guy would really help.  Maybe that's Wilson Chandler who's just getting back.  He could have a major impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They had a similar cap situation this summer.  They were forced to re-sign Redick as he's the only person who can shoot and they traded for Chandler's expiring contract.  They have Bayless' expiring to flip at the deadline (had this summer too).  They were in a great place financially this summer, actually a better place than next summer, because they didn't have to be desperate and had young cheap talent ready to trade (Fultz, Saric, Smith, and even Covington) but sat on their hands.  If they don't make a major run to the ECF, they'll be forced to shake it up.  Fultz and Simmons are too similar players to really flourish with each other, although a Saric or another 3 and D guy would really help.  Maybe that's Wilson Chandler who's just getting back.  He could have a major impact.

I think they had more possible value last summer for their assets and missed a chance, but I think their GM situation might have had an impact.  They still could do something this summer as I am skeptical this roster as is can win it all, although if Simmons developed into a true superstar it's possible I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UTDD said:

I think they had more possible value last summer for their assets and missed a chance, but I think their GM situation might have had an impact.  They still could do something this summer as I am skeptical this roster as is can win it all, although if Simmons developed into a true superstar it's possible I suppose.

In the NBA of 2018, Simmons can become a true superstar without changing his game at all.  He's young,  but until he develops a jumper, takes it on a regular basis and forces defenses to play him honestly, he's not going to be someone you can contend for a title with.

 

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

In the NBA of 2018, Simmons can become a true superstar without changing his game at all.  He's young,  but until he develops a jumper, takes it on a regular basis and forces defenses to play him honestly, he's not going to be someone you can contend for a title with.

 

Fair enough, I think we just define superstar differently and totally agree with your points about the need to make defenses fear him more than they do now.  For me right now even Embiid is not a superstar yet but he's getting there.  I think Simmons has to be the best PG in the league (or clearly elite enough that it doesn't matter if he's say 2nd) that can carry the team on all levels and clearly be the best at his position to get that title.  Right now, I'd only say LeBron, Curry, Durant, Davis, and maybe Giannis are actual superstars.  Maybe Kawhi if things go well, maybe Harden.  I'd probably stick with the first four only personally as of today although everyone else listed here is awesome.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Butler move would fit in with the Process. It was always assumed an outside superstar would be added to the lineup of young studs and role players. At the moment we may be a bit lacking in role players, and Butler may not be exactly the superstar we needed, but it's worth a shot.

I watched last night start-to-finish. Embiid is ridiculous, he doesn't even really get tired anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

 

So he's going to get surgery? There was a Mets pitcher who had TOS and he needed a rib removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, satyanash said:

So he's going to get surgery? There was a Mets pitcher who had TOS and he needed a rib removed.

Tons of pitchers actually.  Matt Harvey is who I think you're talking about but guys like Tyson Ross, Chris Carpenter, and Jaime Garcia have been treated for it with varying degrees of success.  It's generally exclusive to pitchers.  

Surgery is definitely one treatment but there are others.  Really, really strange diagnosis.  Don't know if I've heard of another basketball player ever having this diagnosis.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tons of pitchers actually.  Matt Harvey is who I think you're talking about but guys like Tyson Ross, Chris Carpenter, and Jaime Garcia have been treated for it with varying degrees of success.  It's generally exclusive to pitchers.  

Surgery is definitely one treatment but there are others.  Really, really strange diagnosis.  Don't know if I've heard of another basketball player ever having this diagnosis.

That's because we've never really seen a NBA player completely lose it mentally and have to shop around until he finds someone to give the diagnosis he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

That's because we've never really seen a NBA player completely lose it mentally and have to shop around until he finds someone to give the diagnosis he wants.

Isn't that what Kawhi did last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tons of pitchers actually.  Matt Harvey is who I think you're talking about but guys like Tyson Ross, Chris Carpenter, and Jaime Garcia have been treated for it with varying degrees of success.  It's generally exclusive to pitchers.  

Surgery is definitely one treatment but there are others.  Really, really strange diagnosis.  Don't know if I've heard of another basketball player ever having this diagnosis.

i think it's a dubious diagnosis, and i wouldn't be surprised at all if something else was actually wrong with him, but they were releasing this as the reason so as to explain his yips. or maybe he does actually have TOS. but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took the Pacers apart in their own building. Now we face all the good teams in the west for a couple weeks. Gonna be a bumpy ride, especially with Embiid having back soreness. I just want to hold 3rd place until buyout season hopefully brings some depth like last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost Reddick too, but I think they will be better overall. Embiid and Horford playing together sounds odd, but maybe it can work. Can Richardson shoot from range, cause Philly seems like they need a 3 point shooter badly now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "run it back" strategy most of us wanted carried a lot of risk. Team was like a rubber band stretched to the limit in terms of salary, injury and roster depth. Any little issue with one of the starters would have been catastrophic. Now it looks like they'll have some flexibility and can maybe power through the regular season closer to the top of the standings. We'll worry about playoff rotation later.

And even though Butler was clearly given the alpha dog role late in playoff games, I suspect he really wanted to be the biggest name on his team all year round. Probably never intended to come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...