Midnight Mass

Spider2YBanana

I posted on another thread. My interest ranged from it being too slow, to loving it, to finally being indifferent with the ending. It touches on several very difficult subjects to cover (religion/racism/addiction) in a way that had me pausing to process several times and stuck with me for a few days.

Hamish Linkater as the Preacher deserves all the awards, especially during the sermons. He was incredible.

Overall imo not as good as Hill House but better than Bly Manor and definitely worth watching for the acting alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Just finished episode 4.  My only comment thus far:

Spoiler

I can't even figure out how to react to this priest's apparently sincere misunderstanding that this creature is not an angel of God, but fucking Dracula.  It's like he's never heard of vampires before.  Other than that minor detail, I'm actually enjoying it.

We finished it last night.  Not going to church anytime soon (not that we did much anyway).

It had slow parts, especially between Riley and Erin...holy shit they communicated with long, random dialogue.  

Good watch though and well filmed.  Ep 6 was creepy as hell.

Spoiler

Lot of the questions about the Priest's "confusion" of the "situation"...sort of get answered with a reveal.

Well I have to amend my comment above after another couple episodes.

Spoiler

Holy cow, I was laughing at how Father John could've mistaken a vampire for an angel.  Not only did he understand what the creature was, he and Bev et al have managed to completely reconcile vampirism with Christian prophecy.  Dude, that was fucking impressive.  It took some talented writing and a hell of an imagination.

Don't know if the other 2 or 3 of you who are actually watching this feel the same way, but as far as the acting is concerned, both Fr John and Bev the nun are just killing it.  I've been repeatedly impressed with those two performances.

It gets a little distracting every once in a while because Hamish Linklater seems to have taken John Malkovich for his inspiration in his interpretation of the dialogue.  It's that very recognizable "pause mid-sentence, then barrel through the rest of the sentence and into the next one without a split second's pause."  But even with the similarity to JM in the delivery, I'm continually impressed.

The actress playing Bev could not possibly pull off a more convincing narcissist (hell, sociopath?) who's found religion as the seat from which she can look down on everyone else.  The manipulative skill applying revelation to the events in the film is world class.

I was just hoping this would be decent/slightly interesting, but they've really pulled off something unusual here.  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 1:22 PM, wutang75 said:

I posted on another thread. My interest ranged from it being too slow, to loving it, to finally being indifferent with the ending. It touches on several very difficult subjects to cover (religion/racism/addiction) in a way that had me pausing to process several times and stuck with me for a few days.

Hamish Linkater as the Preacher deserves all the awards, especially during the sermons. He was incredible.

Overall imo not as good as Hill House but better than Bly Manor and definitely worth watching for the acting alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Him, and the actors that played Riley and Erin were just incredible 

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Well I have to amend my comment above after another couple episodes.

Reveal hidden contents

Holy cow, I was laughing at how Father John could've mistaken a vampire for an angel.  Not only did he understand what the creature was, he and Bev et al have managed to completely reconcile vampirism with Christian prophecy.  Dude, that was fucking impressive.  It took some talented writing and a hell of an imagination.

Don't know if the other 2 or 3 of you who are actually watching this feel the same way, but as far as the acting is concerned, both Fr John and Bev the nun are just killing it.  I've been repeatedly impressed with those two performances.

It gets a little distracting every once in a while because Hamish Linklater seems to have taken John Malkovich for his inspiration in his interpretation of the dialogue.  It's that very recognizable "pause mid-sentence, then barrel through the rest of the sentence and into the next one without a split second's pause."  But even with the similarity to JM in the delivery, I'm continually impressed.

The actress playing Bev could not possibly pull off a more convincing narcissist (hell, sociopath?) who's found religion as the seat from which she can look down on everyone else.  The manipulative skill applying revelation to the events in the film is world class.

I was just hoping this would be decent/slightly interesting, but they've really pulled off something unusual here.  

Dude, she was fantastic. Even better than the chick in The Mist. She legit had me and my wife convinced she's like that in real life. That's just beyond incredible acting. She blew us away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It was solid acting all around.  Preacher killed it, but kept remembering the actor as goofy brother of Julia louis-dreyfus in that sitcom she had for awhile back “Old Christine”

Just creepy that shit like this can happen as far as the “majority of small town people believing anything they hear from people they trust/know” no matter how batshit crazy it can be.  Episode 6 was so well done. 

Agreed on Bev’s acting.  My wife still quotes her in that creepy accent “But Monsignor…” lol

DD058163-C3BE-4698-BCE7-615D84F5F3EC.png

2 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Are you serious? This show is an absolute disaster. Maybe the acting is decent but the plot, the script, etc are fucking terrible

I enjoyed some of the monologues. Plot wise I thought it was different. From the trailer I did not think I would like it but it was badass! 

17 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Are you serious? This show is an absolute disaster. Maybe the acting is decent but the plot, the script, etc are fucking terrible

I couldn't be more serious.

There are a lot of scenes, particularly between the priest and Riley, in which both the dialogue and the themes behind them were really impressive.  I worked as a writer for several news/sports/magazine publications  throughout much of my life and, despite the fact that I'd not rate the show above 2.5 stars or so, there were a few aspects of it that were original and even remarkable, and I think most writers would be impressed.

Reconciling vampirism with the sacrament and Christian prophecy was at the very least pretty creative, and entertaining/humorous.

The shittiest book/play/movie in the world can have some great dialogue.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, Augustus said:

Just finished episode 4.  My only comment thus far:

Reveal hidden contents

I can't even figure out how to react to this priest's apparently sincere misunderstanding that this creature is not an angel of God, but fucking Dracula.  It's like he's never heard of vampires before.  Other than that minor detail, I'm actually enjoying it.

Spoiler

I think initially it was a combination of religious zealotry and advanced dementia. After he was "restored", well, zealotry will get you pretty far.

Just finished. The acting was fantastic and I expect no less from Hamish Linklater, but Zach Gilford was really impressive, too. Of course he was good on Friday Night Lights, but he really knocked it out of the park with this role. Other spoilery thoughts below.

Spoiler

Samantha Sloyan was great as Bev, but that character was a bit flat, IMO. From the moment you meet her you know she's going to be the self-righteous, overzealous antagonist, and that's that. There's no nuance to her at all. Compared to the other characters, she was pretty one-dimensional, but overall it's a small beef. The show was still great.

this show is very good. yeah there's a lot of dialogue and it slows at points, but it's still...melodic or something. mesmerizing. really well-written. and fuck if some of the priest's dialogue doesnt move me a little. 

beautifully shot, too. sufficiently creepy. reminds me a bit Hannibal in mood and style, and 'Salem's Lot in plot obviously. i dig it.

Edited by mchookem

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just watched this and thought it was average.  Someone should have put a bullet in Bev a lot sooner.  Kept saying the whole time that it was a vampire and not an angel and turns out the priest knew it all along.  I think it could have been a lot better but there were too many drawn out speaking parts that would lose my attention.

17 hours ago, txhorns said:

Just watched this and thought it was average.  Someone should have put a bullet in Bev a lot sooner.  Kept saying the whole time that it was a vampire and not an angel and turns out the priest knew it all along.  I think it could have been a lot better but there were too many drawn out speaking parts that would lose my attention.

Caught that pretty quickly, did you?