Classic Car thread

TexasEd

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Man, just got my car back today after too much delay and bullshit from a well reputed shop in Austin. Eight fucking weeks for a straight forward mechanical inspection of systems, and missed out on the most glorious part of the top down cruising year. Kinda bitter over that, but whatever. Gotta start working on this stereo install over the Christmas break to get my mind right from all the chaos at work.

pics didn't show up.

8 hours ago, TexasEd said:

pics didn't show up.

Of the car?  Yeah, so my next bitch and moan is that my car was returned to me absolutely filthy, covered in a think layer of dirt and dust.  Literally had to use the windshield wipers to clear the dirt off the front window. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Time for a different shop

Yeah. I was trying these guys out because they are a family owned shop with a good rep and do almost exclusively classic cars.  They are busy af, but at least in this experience lacked any communication or organization. I guess when you have the work lined up around the block you don't have to worry about things like keeping the vehicles in the shop straight. 

So open to any ATX recs, preferably somewhere out west or south. I don't have any pressing needs, but want to get tied into with someone that will do a good job with the inevitable jobs I want to offload (PS leaks for example). 

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Fuck it. I put the top down turned up the heater and rolled with it.  Was a beautiful sunset tonight in ATX. 

The only time the top was up on my 1960 MGA roadster was when it rained.

The place might be too far out of your way, but they work mostly on classic cars. They have done a lot of work on my son’s ‘69 Camaro, not to mention several of our own standard cars. Highly recommend. Plus it is fun to look around at all the cool rides that fill their shop bays.

https://www.greathills.mechanicnet.com/

9D823A59-FF60-4346-9654-4E1D94F2063B.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. I was trying these guys out because they are a family owned shop with a good rep and do almost exclusively classic cars.  They are busy af, but at least in this experience lacked any communication or organization. I guess when you have the work lined up around the block you don't have to worry about things like keeping the vehicles in the shop straight. 

So open to any ATX recs, preferably somewhere out west or south. I don't have any pressing needs, but want to get tied into with someone that will do a good job with the inevitable jobs I want to offload (PS leaks for example). 

For general work I Like RS Automotive in Liberty Hill.  Does great alignments on classics and he races classic Mercuries (Fords).

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't get all the way there with the radio install today.  Had to order some connectors and heat shrink tube to clean up the mess created previously, but did a function test and got everything mocked up for fit and what not. There was a mess of wiring back there, but was able to remove most of the nonsense and fortunately the original tie in to the acc and dash light was there so I was able to plug into that. Have to clean up some splicing that was done into a constant hot, and pull all the wires run to the trunk through the rails, but other than that not too painful. 

EAD36-D36-ABCB-450-C-86-BB-E43-AE39-D538

4-D3-A04-B1-685-D-42-B6-A68-D-B46-DB68-C

2-A480-B85-3643-4-D83-BF6-B-4-FF05610046

• Hook 'Em 2

Also discovered that my console base is cracked in a few places.  PRevious repairs not holding up. The console base on the 68 has not been reproduced for some reason, so basically unobtanium.  Fortunately all the problematic areas not visible so gonna break out the gorilla glue. 

23 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Didn't get all the way there with the radio install today.  Had to order some connectors and heat shrink tube to clean up the mess created previously, but did a function test and got everything mocked up for fit and what not. There was a mess of wiring back there, but was able to remove most of the nonsense and fortunately the original tie in to the acc and dash light was there so I was able to plug into that. Have to clean up some splicing that was done into a constant hot, and pull all the wires run to the trunk through the rails, but other than that not too painful. 

EAD36-D36-ABCB-450-C-86-BB-E43-AE39-D538

4-D3-A04-B1-685-D-42-B6-A68-D-B46-DB68-C

2-A480-B85-3643-4-D83-BF6-B-4-FF05610046

Remind me what's going on here.  That's an original radio rebuilt to modern specs, yes?  So you took the new power connection and plugged it into the old A/C and dash light "tie in"?

I'm about to buy a new (but retro) radio but have original wiring, so I'd like to have an idea how to power it myself.

On 12/6/2020 at 9:22 PM, Anastasis said:

Also discovered that my console base is cracked in a few places.  PRevious repairs not holding up. The console base on the 68 has not been reproduced for some reason, so basically unobtanium.  Fortunately all the problematic areas not visible so gonna break out the gorilla glue. 

I have those floor mats and I have never seen that console before but it sounds like it is original.

19 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Remind me what's going on here.  That's an original radio rebuilt to modern specs, yes?  So you took the new power connection and plugged it into the old A/C and dash light "tie in"?

I'm about to buy a new (but retro) radio but have original wiring, so I'd like to have an idea how to power it myself.

Yep, original 1968 AM/FM stereo.  The stereo was cleaned up real nice, and the internals were replaced with modern electronic including bluetooth.  All of the mechanical functions including the push button memory works as original. Only thing that tips it off is when you activate the bluetooth via some very specific motions with the volume knob.

The guy who did the rebuild tied in an original adapter (two prong) that ties into the acc and dash light plug that is original to the car. Previous owner had spliced into the lines, but the plug was still there I am able to plug into that. I have a blue line running to a powered antenna, and two set of lines running to the door speakers.  There is no constant hot required, so I just have to tie off the splice into the constant hot that the prior owner did for the modern radio they installed in the trunk.  There are also two additional outs for rear speakers as well as a sub out but I don't have any and there is really no place for rears in the convertible anyway. I'll take a picture of the final wiring once its all in.  

I had to order an original back brace cause this radio weighs a ton an its gonna take a few weeks to get here, but gonne just put everything wired in for the meantime.  

21 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

The key issue is whether you need a constant hot for memory function.  The original radios did not. They just powered up with the key in ACC position. 

So here is the plug, and the adapter spliced into the radio harness. The orange wire coming out of there is a splice a prior owner did because they didn't have an adapter to splice into their harness. 

1987-A464-170-D-4-AB0-A88-D-D50452-E9-CC

Rest of the wiring is pretty straight forward out of the harness. Blue harness wire controls the power antenna (green wire).  White wires to left speaker, gray to right, black to ground. 

7-C065-A58-DC54-449-D-8-AF3-30-BC4230-B8

Problem now is going to be cramming all that stuff back there past the brace.  The chassis of the original radio is a lot bigger than the smaller one that I pulled out of there.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

Yeah, if you are installing a modern radio you will need the always hot. 

Yep, I'm running a Retrosounds front end unit. It looks like a 1965 radio with modern guts.  I'm not driving a concourse car, it's restomodded where it makes for a superior system, general reliability or just an overall better driving experience.

For the old units just switched to the ignition would be the typical set up I believe.

Yep, I'm running a Retrosounds front end unit. It looks like a 1965 radio with modern guts.  I'm not driving a concourse car, it's restomodded where it makes for a superior system, general reliability or just an overall better driving experience.
For the old units just switched to the ignition would be the typical set up I believe.

Pics of this set up?

21 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The key issue is whether you need a constant hot for memory function.  The original radios did not. They just powered up with the key in ACC position. 

So here is the plug, and the adapter spliced into the radio harness. The orange wire coming out of there is a splice a prior owner did because they didn't have an adapter to splice into their harness. 

1987-A464-170-D-4-AB0-A88-D-D50452-E9-CC

That's helpful, danke  I have that same double plug with the red and blue wires.

I think I just need to get the radio in and start playing around with it, see what the best connection will be.  I put in an extra wire through the firewall in case I have to get power straight from the battery. We shall see.

Finished the install, started getting some error messages about a ground short in the left speaker.  It's always fucking something.
0299-A287-3-A68-491-D-903-E-D93-B6-E7-AF9-EE.jpg

Is this loading new guts into an old radio something this guy just did because he’s your friend, or is it something he does as a profession? Because I am definitely interested. I still have the factory radio from
my ‘65 and I’d love to keep the vintage look but want modern performance.

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Is this loading new guts into an old radio something this guy just did because he’s your friend, or is it something he does as a profession? Because I am definitely interested. I still have the factory radio from
my ‘65 and I’d love to keep the vintage look but want modern performance.

http://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/

Is the guy I used. I bought the radio from him as well, but you can ship your radio to him in TN. I posted the pricing upthread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Retro sounds radios makes font end until that are pretty much copies of original am radios for mustangs and other 60's cars.  I have one now own it's a pretty god unit for the price.  It has everything a modern car stereo unit has right down to i phone access when calls come thru.

That's cool too, but this car was our family car before it was my first car that I rolled around in at UT.  Mom and Dad brought me home from the hospital in it when I was born.  So I want to keep the same push buttons,  knobs, etc. to the extent that I can.  It may be a little pricier, but that's the cost of sentiment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's cool too, but this car was our family car before it was my first car that I rolled around in at UT.  Mom and Dad brought me home from the hospital in it when I was born.  So I want to keep the same push buttons,  knobs, etc. to the extent that I can.  It may be a little pricier, but that's the cost of sentiment. 

Yep, and that's a valid approach.  

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Where do you get error messages on a 68 stang?  Ol Dirty Bastard 0.1 connector?

LOL.  The radio literally tells you the error message "Left front speaker has a ground short".  

Issue went away, so probably a loose connection at the speaker is my guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

His accent is great.

Yeah, I talked with him for a good bit, walking through his process and everything. I'll just say that he is fun to chat with. 

Just something to keep in mind if you go this route.  At least on my car with A/C there is not a lot of spare room back there. I didn't connect the usb and other things because it was already a challenge getting the bigger chassis in the space with the wiring harness. I don't really care about any of that stuff. You will probably have more room to work with without an in dash A/C. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I talked with him for a good bit, walking through his process and everything. I'll just say that he is fun to chat with. 

Just something to keep in mind if you go this route.  At least on my car with A/C there is not a lot of spare room back there. I didn't connect the usb and other things because it was already a challenge getting the bigger chassis in the space with the wiring harness. I don't really care about any of that stuff. You will probably have more room to work with without an in dash A/C. 

There's no in-dash ac on a '65.  It hangs underneath the dash.  Considering how many restomod early Mustangs there are out there, I'm sure this is an obstacle that has been overcome.

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

There's no in-dash ac on a '65.  It hangs underneath the dash.  Considering how many restomod early Mustangs there are out there, I'm sure this is an obstacle that has been overcome.

Always disliked the look of that thing hanging under the dash. The full console looks so much better.  My ultimate resto mod would be in dash registers, and cooled seats, if I were to contemplate AC (Doubtful).

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Always disliked the look of that thing hanging under the dash. The full console looks so much better.  My ultimate resto mod would be in dash registers, and cooled seats, if I were to contemplate AC (Doubtful).

Maybe just because I'm used to it, I like it.  It is of its' time - when a/c was not standard, but a new exciting option.  It's very mid-century.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Maybe just because I'm used to it, I like it.  It is of its' time - when a/c was not standard, but a new exciting option.  It's very mid-century.  

Yeah, I've seen it forever as well.  I've always had mustangs with full consoles, that's the look I've always gravitated to.  It does have that early 60's retro look.  It's right at home, but it looks so much better integrated in the dash.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:13 PM, Anastasis said:

Texas y'all.  Maybe a top 20 all life day right here.

Cheese and meat board at the state park. 

1.png
2.png
3.png

Hey man, niiiiiicccee stripe.

Seriously that red swoosh really sets off that body color and contours.  I like.

(Car looks a little lonely in that top photo)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Seriously that red swoosh really sets off that body color and contours.  I like.

Thanks man.  White on red interior with red c stripe and black on red with red c stripe are choice in that year imo. I was too cheap to get the red lines when I replaced my tires, but that is next level.

1968-ford-mustang-gt

On 12/4/2020 at 12:58 PM, Armybrat said:

The only time the top was up on my 1960 MGA roadster was when it rained.

The place might be too far out of your way, but they work mostly on classic cars. They have done a lot of work on my son’s ‘69 Camaro, not to mention several of our own standard cars. Highly recommend. Plus it is fun to look around at all the cool rides that fill their shop bays.

https://www.greathills.mechanicnet.com/

9D823A59-FF60-4346-9654-4E1D94F2063B.jpeg

in the 90s, my first car was a 62 Triumph Spitfire, rebuilt by a guy that worked for Triumph overseas.  Everything was chromed out and beautiful, Weber carbs.  Bought it for $3200.00.  From the drivers seat, I could put my arm over the door and touch the asphalt. Was driving it to grad school back east and a drunk driver took it out in Arkadelphia around noon. Probably lucky I survived.  Haven't really cared too much about vehicles since.  Just drive pickups and don't have to worry with them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Hello beautiful!  Best friends Keith Craft Shelby replica he had built years back.  Tested @ 720hp on the dyno.  It's a loud, screaming monster that will give you a permanent lower leg tattoo if you touch those side pipes.  It's power to weight ratio allows this little demon to put supercars to the test, assuming they know how to drive (he used to drive in the race circuit back in Midland).

Before kids, fucker used to wake me up on the weekends by parking in our front driveway and just letting is gurgle and rumble.  Our old house still has scratch marks in front on the street.  You can always find him and his fellow Cobra enthusiasts at every Sunday Cars & Coffee in N. Dallas/Frisco.  Now that we have kids, when they were still little, he'd come over, strap them in to the 4-point harness and give them a ride.  They loved it.  

*plane is an old L-29 Delphin retired at the Lancaster airport and donated after assembly to the Cold War museum out there.

Cobra.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1