Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

He isn't wrong.

I've had a cop point a gun at the back of my buddy's head while I stood next to him and had a gun pointed at me by a cop for loitering.

There isn't much you can do except report it after the fact.

Thinking about it now, I've had a number of encounters with the police where they grossly crossed the boundaries of legal restraint and there wasn't shit anyone could do about it. This might explain my lifelong hatred of cops.

36 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I seriously doubt you're getting a better answer from any other candidate. Also of course that wasn't the whole quote, but you know don't include that.

Yeah, I can see that.  It’s an extraordinarily difficult question for someone in Bernie’s position to answer without offending someone. 

Bernie shouldn’t get dragged over this but the “shot in the back of the head” line was a little much.  A better answer would have been to envision an America where no one should fear the police and talk about what it will take from society to get us there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, I can see that.  It’s an extraordinarily difficult question for someone in Bernie’s position to answer without offending someone. 

Bernie shouldn’t get dragged over this but the “shot in the back of the head” line was a little much.  A better answer would have been to envision an America where no one should fear the police and talk about what it will take from society to get us there. 

I'll definitely concede that he could have started the answer better, it's not good. I do think that a lot of people are using this in bad faith to attack him like a lot of other leftist are attacking Warred about her heritage.

I know Bernie isn't your top candidate, but he has made a considerable effort to try and appeal to more black voters this year, hence and trying to directly answer this question even though he fumbled it at HBCU.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie is closest of the candidates to being good on Israel.

None of them are good on Israel (i.e., pro-BDS as a start), but this is the best we've got in front of us.

it takes a grumpy old Jew to speak about justice for the Palestinians.  Look at his courage. He's the best.

If you want to win the general vs. Trump, get behind Bernie.

I don't think this poll is the most important thing in the world.

This poll is among likely voters only, which is not even Bernie's strength. These Upshot polls don't take into account Bernie's huge potential to bring in young and poor voters. Warren and Biden do not have that kind of potential, but Sanders does.

VS. Trump in the Blue Wall states...
Biden +6
Bernie +5
Warren -6

I would rather Warren win the nomination than Joe. I'd rather fight for good policy and leadership than just accept Joe's garbage because he's more likely to win. But if you want progressive change AND a safe general election path...

Bernie_Sanders_smile_wave_ap_img.jpg

Day 1 of Bernie's presidency:
- Moratorium on deportations
- End ICE raids
- End family separation policy
- Halt wall construction
- Close for-profit detention centers
- Allow asylum claims for gang violence
- End discrimination against poor/disabled applicants

A lot more on executive authority, which as we learned in the Obama administration is often hollow victory. The key difference, of course, is that Sanders is going to actually use the bully pulpit as Organizer-in-Chief to motivate the masses to pressure Congresspeople to pass actual legislation. Any candidate selling themselves as the central figure of power will just be another Obama whose work will be 99% undone by the racist clown horror that follows him.

So not open borders?  Immigration has been one area where Bernie has historically drifted more to the center than most people give him credit or notice.  

While healthcare is the #1 issue for Democratic voters, I suspect he’s well aware immigration in the #1 issue among Republican voters. 

Bernie’s plan is a good plan. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So not open borders?  Immigration has been one area where Bernie has historically drifted more to the center than most people give him credit or notice.  

Yep, Bernie is and has always been the compromise candidate.

His base is the people who will soon start building guillotines. If we want incrementalist reforms to an abusive capitalist system that will mitigate the damage but still allow disgusting wealth concentration, Bernie's the guy. (And Warren to a lesser extent. Everyone to the right of Warren on economics is basically pointless or outright detrimental.)

Bernie’s plan is a good plan. 

Bernie will do for now. (not like he's got much choice in the matter, the ancient bastard)

I want a candidate who talks about how open borders are a noble and morally necessary goal because the only reason we have to lock our borders down from a non-racist perspective is the terrible effects of global economic inequality.

In a world of higher economic equality, borders simply don't matter. This is the case already for the rich; borders don't matter, you can buy your way through basically any of them at any time.

Nations themselves are little more than protective castles for wealth.

54 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bernie is probably a little irritated the billionaires seem more afraid of Warren than him. 

Bernie has been railing against billionaires for the past 40 years? I don't think he cares what they think about Warren.

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I suppose a Berner dream scenario would be Biden and Liz taking each other out while Bernie quietly wins primaries.   At some point you’ve got to wonder why Warren is taking all the bullets for advocating for some of Bernie’s ideas.    

Bernie has already mostly taken all of same bullets years ago. And Liz is the front runner du jour, so of course the spotlight is on her. 

Liz is being attacked by the same forces that have spent the last 4 years going after Bernie. Some of this is new to Liz now that she has shown she'll stiffen her backbone; they were much nicer when they thought they could manipulate her. So it sucks that she's in the barrel right now, but Bernie's been in the barrel since April and he will remain there for the rest of his public life.

The class interests that dominate mass media do not want M4A. As Bernie pointed out in Debate #1, there will be healthcare insurance ads running during the same debate that pay the salaries of the "moderators" running the debate and the bills of the channel hosting the debate.

This is the reality of actually being progressive/left. Every wealth-class interest hates you, from the Bill Gates's who are happy to vote for genocidal fascists to ensure they have $150B instead of just $10B to the DC/NYC media class that is desperate for that billionaire money to the unpaid posters who spend their time feeling the need to defend those same billionaires.

Welcome their hatred.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:24 AM, bad_teammate said:

Day 1 of Bernie's presidency:
- Moratorium on deportations
- End ICE raids
- End family separation policy
- Halt wall construction
- Close for-profit detention centers
- Allow asylum claims for gang violence
- End discrimination against poor/disabled applicants

A lot more on executive authority, which as we learned in the Obama administration is often hollow victory. The key difference, of course, is that Sanders is going to actually use the bully pulpit as Organizer-in-Chief to motivate the masses to pressure Congresspeople to pass actual legislation. Any candidate selling themselves as the central figure of power will just be another Obama whose work will be 99% undone by the racist clown horror that follows him.

The sad thing is that these policies will be so destructive to the country, the damage can not be undone.  Willing to destroy the country because the media makes their puppets dance...orange man bad.

And LMAO saying this isn't open borders....when you incentivize something......but fuck our working poor and public schools and affordable housing etc etc etc.

The sad thing is that these policies will be so destructive to the country, the damage can not be undone.  Willing to destroy the country because the media makes their puppets dance...orange man bad.
And LMAO saying this isn't open borders....when you incentivize something......but fuck our working poor and public schools and affordable housing etc etc etc.
None of those policies equate to open borders. Try to be less of a simpleton.