Dark Horse

Homebrewers - What’s on Tap?

I brewed a Maibock yesterday.  I called up the homebrew store (in Richardson) on monday and they were still open.  The guy would mill the grain and package everything up you ordered, so was in and out of there really fast.  Only one other person in there at the time.

He did say that some guy came in in Sunday and bought 30 bags of grain.  not pounds, bags.  Even stuff like 5lbs Chocolate grain.  WTF is anyone going to do with that much?

Trying out that Tilt automatic gravity reader for the first time.  Seems to work OK and will keep me from opening the fermenter to check gravity.

Great thread. Anyone remember Austin Brewing Supply back in the 90’s on North Loop? Or the Southwest Brewing News? Our kitchen ceiling had molasses on it back in those days. Some of those guys are still brewing fine beers today. See Chip at Live Oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished kegging my oatmeal stout, and racked a bitter to secondary.

I'm a little ashamed of how light my other kegs are becoming.  May have to put in an order from AHS.

Brewed for the first time in a long time. I’ve got wlp029 Kolsch in the ferm chamber at 58 just waiting for it to kick off.

I had been doing biab for a long time but ended up having efficiencies all over the map. I decided to go back to mashing in a cooler (still with a bag tho). At the same time, I also went with changing out the brew stand configuration. I nailed the OG that abw called for as well so I’m pretty happy.

c5b2df482737a8cedfe6528b2fd8330e.jpg

Here it is before I started and set up my hoses. Still loving electric brewing though the auber ezboil PID is confusing as shit to use.

Edit: pitched the damn stir bar into the wort......again

On 4/25/2020 at 8:58 PM, deft said:

Brewed for the first time in a long time. I’ve got wlp029 Kolsch in the ferm chamber at 58 just waiting for it to kick off.

I had been doing biab for a long time but ended up having efficiencies all over the map. I decided to go back to mashing in a cooler (still with a bag tho). At the same time, I also went with changing out the brew stand configuration. I nailed the OG that abw called for as well so I’m pretty happy.

c5b2df482737a8cedfe6528b2fd8330e.jpg

Here it is before I started and set up my hoses. Still loving electric brewing though the auber ezboil PID is confusing as shit to use.

Edit: pitched the damn stir bar into the wort......again

Check out George's (Barley and Hops) PIDs on Youtube.  He's in Coppers Cove.  He's more into distilling, which is where my interests are.

Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that bring joy. Decided to make a new hlt and it worked great. In the middle of a schwarz right now to toss onto the wlp029 cake from the Kolsch.
61af0c29705780e69c11b5de2a952627.jpg

Gonna do a double batch this weekend of the famous cream of three crops beer. I’ll pitch us05 for one carboy but I’m thinking maybe saflager k97 for the other? Anybody used this? I have a ferm chamber but would prefer to do both of them in the same chamber.

I mean I could just pitch a kveik slurry or my oly saisonmonster slurry and just let that fermenter rip and run in the garage heat.

jumping into the game.  training wheels locked and loaded.  luckily my buddy helping out is a biochemist or some shit like that so ill sit back and watch.  ordered the alaskan amber clone from homebrewers website as our trial run.  have you guys tried the clone recipes?  do they work well?  thinking about tank 7 for our next run and want to figure out octoberfests and christmas ales before it cools off.  anyway, just looking for some tips on recipes.  

Posted (edited)

Haven't brewed in forever.  Did a one gallon biab fuck around IPA to tinker with the grain bill for my IPAs a little bit.  Hopped it with columbus, citra, and sabro.  Efficiency was for shit and my gravity reading was a little low so we'll see how it turns out. 

Edited by Continental Op

On 7/21/2020 at 6:13 PM, chesthair said:

jumping into the game.  training wheels locked and loaded.  luckily my buddy helping out is a biochemist or some shit like that so ill sit back and watch.  ordered the alaskan amber clone from homebrewers website as our trial run.  have you guys tried the clone recipes?  do they work well?  thinking about tank 7 for our next run and want to figure out octoberfests and christmas ales before it cools off.  anyway, just looking for some tips on recipes.  

American Homebrew Association website is a good source for recipes.  Also, get something like beersmith and mess around with it.