The Golden Triangle Thread of Dominance

tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i have zero regrets being born and raised there.  there's no finer people on earth when it comes to sticking by you and helping a brother out come hell or high water.  none.  and welcoming as fuck to the outsider.

and motherfuck the food...holy god i do so miss the food.

You proved the point.  You escaped.  There is something about that area that makes a lot of people unaware that life exists outside the Golden Triangle. 

that "stick by you" attitude breeds a lot of guilt for those of us who decided to go and reside elsewhere.  

it's not easy to leave those kind of people, especially when you're one of them.

and we're usually the first ones to come roaring back to help those still there in times of crisis.

55 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

it's time for a change, but i guarantee those coonasses aren't going to do it.  

they'd rather it shut the whole fucker down than take another path.

This is exactly what I said. And they will cling even tighter now that the rest of the country is saying they should change. It's very much "us vs. everyone else" down there.

24 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

that "stick by you" attitude breeds a lot of guilt for those of us who decided to go and reside elsewhere.  

it's not easy to leave those kind of people, especially when you're one of them.v

and we're usually the first ones to come roaring back to help those still there in times of crisis.

I was the first person in my family to move away (move away = somewhere not in Jefferson County or Calcasieu Parish) and I've never regretted it. I loved my childhood and my family but I knew couldn't stay forever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 6:20 PM, tx 3 putt said:

that gumbo is undefeated. i dont even mess with meat, i just order the roux !

My standard order there as a kid was the stuffed crabs; as an adult visiting home I go for the catfish Pontchartrain, but honestly anything that allows me a side of the au gratin potatoes is worth it. Lots of Golden Triangle restaurants have come and gone over the years and it's been sad to see them all go, but this one would hit me really hard if it went under.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, austingirl said:

My standard order there as a kid was the stuffed crabs; as an adult visiting home I go for the catfish Pontchartrain, but honestly anything that allows me a side of the au gratin potatoes is worth it. Lots of Golden Triangle restaurants have come and gone over the years and it's been sad to see them all go, but this one would hit me really hard if it went under.

the stuffed crabs or shrimp ar Whitney damn good 

I’ve been ordering the salad with popcorn shrimp. Secret menu item 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you’re ever unlucky enough to find yourself in Silsbee, check out this place called Sweet Cheeks. Went there last time I visited the parents and the chicken and dumplings slam and go hard. Closest to my grandmas chicken and dumplings I’ve ever had.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

If you’re ever unlucky enough to find yourself in Silsbee, check out this place called Sweet Cheeks. Went there last time I visited the parents and the chicken and dumplings slam and go hard. Closest to my grandmas chicken and dumplings I’ve ever had.

Never really expected to read a comment about silsbee, let alone one recommending a restaurant.  Grandpa had a log cabin in silsbee on a hundred or so acres right next in his brother. My parents and i lived there for a year or 2 when I was 4-5. Lots of exploring,hunting, fishing, swimming and boating. Both were sold when they died. Miss doing that. 

What was the all you can eat bbq crab place?  Loved that growing up.  We were related to the owner in some distant way (which could probably be said if about 90% of the population). 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was in Camp Fire, similar to Girl/Boy Scouts but co-ed, and for ten summers I went to summer camp in Silsbee. It was called Camp Waluta, and a few years ago I found out that at some point after I left in 1999 it had been converted from a kids' camp to a place that held corporate retreats and whatnot. Then, it was destroyed completely after one of the big hurricanes in the last 10 years or so. There are a lot of things I don't miss about SETX, but some of my best memories of childhood were there. It was a completely stereotypical 80s camp - the only thing missing was Jason Voorhees - but given enough time, I'm sure someone would've been murdered there. :) Anyway, there's not much in Silsbee, but I'll always have fond memories of summers there.

Never really expected to read a comment about silsbee, let alone one recommending a restaurant.  Grandpa had a log cabin in silsbee on a hundred or so acres right next in his brother. My parents and i lived there for a year or 2 when I was 4-5. Lots of exploring,hunting, fishing, swimming and boating. Both were sold when they died. Miss doing that. 

What was the all you can eat bbq crab place?  Loved that growing up.  We were related to the owner in some distant way (which could probably be said if about 90% of the population). 

Hmm, there wasn’t a bbq crab place there in my day…. Maybe Sartins in Beaumont?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 11:03 AM, dirtonia said:

Hmm, there wasn’t a bbq crab place there in my day…. Maybe Sartins in Beaumont?

I was gonna suggest Esther's in Groves, but Sartin's seems more likely - Esther's was the fancy place everyone went to for special occasions, when the mid-county folks didn't want to drive to Beaumont. However, there was some place on the bayou, maybe in Orange, that everyone went to and for the love of God its name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember it. I swear that they would let you catch your own crabs and then they'd cook them for you, but now that I type it out it sounds ridiculous.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, austingirl said:

I was gonna suggest Esther's in Groves, but Sartin's seems more likely - Esther's was the fancy place everyone went to for special occasions, when the mid-county folks didn't want to drive to Beaumont. However, there was some place on the bayou, maybe in Orange, that everyone went to and for the love of God its name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember it. I swear that they would let you catch your own crabs and then they'd cook them for you, but now that I type it out it sounds ridiculous.

Is that the place where the drunk dude dove off the dock and got killed by the alligator? I believe his last words were "Man, fuck that gator!" (I'm being completely serious) 

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Is that the place where the drunk dude dove off the dock and got killed by the alligator? I believe his last wors were "Man, fuck that gator!" (I'm being completely serious) 

Yeah.  It was.  I went to school with the two guys who tracked down the and shot the gator

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Is that the place where the drunk dude dove off the dock and got killed by the alligator? I believe his last words were "Man, fuck that gator!" (I'm being completely serious) 

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah.  It was.  I went to school with the two guys who tracked down the and shot the gator

Ah, right - so I didn't make it up. And I do remember that gator story now that you mention it.

Texas Gator Kills Man in Orange, Ending a 179-Year Streak – Texas Monthly

(UPDATE, 8:29 PM July 6: A man who would only identify himself as “Bear” trapped the alligator suspected of involvement in this incident, and then blasted it with a shotgun. “He had to go,” Bear told the Houston Chronicle. “That’s what happens when you kill someone.” 

An alligator fitting the description of the one involved in a deadly attack Friday of an Orange man was apparently shot and killed Monday.

I don't know what I expected, but this is pretty close.

Dupont sponsored our environmental science class so 1st period of my senior year at West Orange Stark we hung out in a pontoon boat going up and down Adam's Bayou learning about the flora and fauna.  My teacher had a real strong hate for that bastard Chinese tallow tree but those gators we saw in there were massive.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Dupont sponsored our environmental science class so 1st period of my senior year at West Orange Stark we hung out in a pontoon boat going up and down Adam's Bayou learning about the flora and fauna.  My teacher had a real strong hate for that bastard Chinese tallow tree but those gators we saw in there were massive.  

damn china berry trees. Made great slingshot ammo, though. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

i have zero regrets being born and raised there.  there's no finer people on earth when it comes to sticking by you and helping a brother out come hell or high water.  none.  and welcoming as fuck to the outsider.

and motherfuck the food...holy god i do so miss the food.

ive made nothing but great friends over there. some very nice people

PNG talk not going away...

Probably the loudest HS football game I ever attended was 1999 PNG vs Stephenville 4A state championship game in the Dome.  Stephenville won with little Briles running for 3 TD iirc.  

Anyway, PNG really showed up, completely filling their side of the Dome, including up to the rainbow sections.  Stephenville didn't have as many fans but everyone had their metal coffee can (or propane tank) full of ball bearings and shook them all game long.

11 hours ago, WBT said:

PNG talk not going away...

Probably the loudest HS football game I ever attended was 1999 PNG vs Stephenville 4A state championship game in the Dome.  Stephenville won with little Briles running for 3 TD iirc.  

Anyway, PNG really showed up, completely filling their side of the Dome, including up to the rainbow sections.  Stephenville didn't have as many fans but everyone had their metal coffee can (or propane tank) full of ball bearings and shook them all game long.

I graduated in 1999 - Dustin Long was a year behind me in school, so this was my freshman year at UT. Me and the guy I was dating at the time met my parents at Kyle Field for the semifinal that year. It was so exciting. PNG had gradually gotten better in their division since I'd been there, and even though they lost to Stephenville that year in the final, it was a great game. 

• Hook 'Em 2