Time to Talk Dressing

NeverMarryAStripper

2020 Edition:

My daughter has been a vegetarian since she was 5. Despite her obvious stupidly  terrible taste in food she’s been accepted to an elite college overseas and consequently this is her last Thanksgiving at home for the bext 5 years. 

So this year I made the same tamale dressing, but with vegetable broth and bean/huitlacoche tamales. Wish me luck.

https://i.imgur.com/PhxLsk1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went with a crock pot version...

• 1 large loaf of bread of choice, cut into 1 inch pieces, (about 8 cups) dried or toasted
  • 1 pound ground sausage of choice
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 3 medium carrots chopped
  • 2 stalks celery sliced
  • 1 Tablespoon Basil Leaves
  • 2 teaspoons Rubbed Sage
  • 1 teaspoon Thyme Leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
  • 8 tablespoons butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • Fresh Parsley chopped
  • Dried cranberries chopped
  • cook sausage past pink , mix vegetables and spices 
  • add bread to pot and pour pan of everything on top
  • cook for 3-4 hours on low

On 11/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Herbed Stuffing Mix

Cornbread Stuffing Mix

Cubed Stuffing Mix

Sage Breakfast Sausage

3 links of Boudin - casing removed

Onion

Celery

Garlic

Rubbed Sage

Garlic Powder

Olive Oil/Butter/Bacon Grease (use fat of choice)

Salt & Pepper

Turkey or Chicken Broth

2 eggs

Brown Sausage. Remove to big bowl.  Add Boudin, breakup and brown up to get crispy bits. Remove to big bowl.  Add fat of choice and sauté diced onion and celery for 6-8 minutes.  Add minced garlic.  Add some Sage and Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper.  Remove to big bowl.  Add the 3 stuffing mixes.  Add Broth and mix, adding more broth until you reach the consistency you like.  Add a little at a time while mixing.  Can always add more, but hard to take out.  Taste now for seasoning and adjust as needed.  Scramble eggs in a separate bowl and add to big bowl.  Mix until incorporated.  Pour into butter greased dish.  Bake uncovered at 350-375 for 30-45 minutes.  If top is getting dark, cover with foil.  Let rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.

for each stuffing mix, is it just one bag? so three total bags?

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Zepol87 said:

@Bozo_Casanova I guess I could have sent a pm but I plan on making the tamale dressing for xmas. Any gotcha type of things I should look out for? Gonna head to the el rancho parking lot to find someone selling tamales out the trunk, not making any this year

Honestly the best tamales I’ve used for this are the hill country fare or Mi Cocina pork tamales because of how dense they are. But either way, just follow the steps, use plenty of butter, take your time with the veggies, and if you are unsure about the stock use less rather than more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1