Music Podcasts

tantric superman

I've had it with All Songs Considered.  Just kind of insufferable.  These dudes like everything.  Every album/song is fucking amazing.  Every female on the podcast vocal fries like a bitch.

The best 'new" music podcast I listen to is KEXP Music That Matters.  I was listening to All Songs Considered but dropping that.  Any suggestions for good "new music" podcasts?

I supplement KEXP Music that Matters with Tiny Desk, The Sounds in My Head (also new, but kind of precious), Tombstone After Dark (old old country, horrific djs), Tell the Band to Go Home (Americana and Canadiana), W.B. Walker Old Soul Radio Show (somewhat angry, somewhat crazed, always a little drunk, hillbilly).

Anyone with any suggestions?  Not really into metal or hiphop or "world music".  Although I do like internal rock/pop.

• 11 months later...

A couple new podcasts for your consideration.  I'm gonna post links to the webpages, but they're on all the usual podcast platforms.  

This 2-part podcast is about events leading up to the Hell's Angels killing a man at Altamont (I think 50-year anniversary was yesterday).  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/all-told/altamont-part-1-how-the-60s-most-disastrous-and-deadly-concert-came-to-be/

Multi-part podcast about the time leading up to Prince's "1999"

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2019/11/15/prince-story-1999-episode-one

• Like 1

Cocaine & Rhinestones is incredible.  I don't know if Season 2 is ever coming out or not, but Season 1 is still one of the best pods I've ever listened to.

I also enjoy Political Beats (no politics actually discussed - just a bunch of political journalists who happen to be music junkies), Otis Gibbs' Thanks For Giving a Damn (lots of stories about old school country artists/Americana), Chris Shifflet's Walking the Floor (interviews with people in the world of country/Americana/rock), The 500 with Josh Adam Meyers (comedians discussing Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time), and Your Favorite Band Sucks (the guy from Cocaine & Rhinestones and a friend taking shots at the sacred cows of rock).

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Cocaine & Rhinestones is incredible.  I don't know if Season 2 is ever coming out or not, but Season 1 is still one of the best pods I've ever listened to.

I also enjoy Political Beats (no politics actually discussed - just a bunch of political journalists who happen to be music junkies), Otis Gibbs' Thanks For Giving a Damn (lots of stories about old school country artists/Americana), Chris Shifflet's Walking the Floor (interviews with people in the world of country/Americana/rock), The 500 with Josh Adam Meyers (comedians discussing Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time), and Your Favorite Band Sucks (the guy from Cocaine & Rhinestones and a friend taking shots at the sacred cows of rock).

Thanks for those recommendations.

It's pretty funny to listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones and hear Tyler Coe being so careful and thoughtful to measure his words... and then in YFBS he does pretty much the opposite of that.  

I'll check out Political Beats.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Thanks for those recommendations.

It's pretty funny to listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones and hear Tyler Coe being so careful and thoughtful to measure his words... and then in YFBS he does pretty much the opposite of that.  

I'll check out Political Beats.  

His Twitter is a pretty good follow, too.  It's mostly YFBS style trolling, but damn funny at times.

Political Beats is one of my favorite formats.  The hosts plus the guest all discuss the trajectory of an artist they love, why/how they got into said artist, and then give song and album recs at the end.  I've picked up a lot of stuff regarding bands I love, and always find it interesting to hear about what others love (or don't love) and why.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, tantric superman said:

I've had it with All Songs Considered.  Just kind of insufferable.  These dudes like everything.  Every album/song is fucking amazing.  

Every year for the past decade, one of the tools I use to find new artists is their end-of-year "best of" episode.  I used to go down to Waterloo and pick up a few CDs based on that.  

But yeah, the podcast suffers from an overwhelming self-consciousness from the hosts.  An awful lot of the picks seem like insincere affectations, i.e. "I'll seem cooler to the other critics if I say I love this."

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, Paul Wesley said:

Every year for the past decade, one of the tools I use to find new artists is their end-of-year "best of" episode.  I used to go down to Waterloo and pick up a few CDs based on that.  

But yeah, the podcast suffers from an overwhelming self-consciousness from the hosts.  An awful lot of the picks seem like insincere affectations, i.e. "I'll seem cooler to the other critics if I say I love this."

"Sound Opinions" has helped be discover some new bands as well.   They suffer a tiny bit from the same "I'm cooler than you" attitude but it isn't as bad as All Songs Considered.  At the end, they have callers give their opinions on previous shows.  Overall, I like it for discovering new music.

"Americana Music Show" is really, really good.  The dude just plays music and he never repeats a song.  He may play 8 songs from one album over the course of 8 weeks, but he has never repeated a song by an artist.  

"Strong Songs" is very interesting to me, from a songwriter's standpoint.  The guy does a good job of breaking down the songs.   

"Dolly Parton's America" has been a fun listen this year.  They just did the 8th of 9 sessions.  

"Song Of The Day" by The Current.  They just play one song every day.  Some good, some bad...but mostly newer artists.  Played the new John Moreland  a few days ago.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

https://www.soundopinions.org/show/917

Second half of this - "Why do adults stop seeking out new music" is interesting.

https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/listening-2-daft-punk-homework

They did a whole series on Daft Punk that is pretty good.

https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/return-of-the-funk-guitar-cory-wong-breaks-down-dua-lipa-jessie-ware-and-nile-rodgers

Breaking down funk guitar.

https://switchedonpop.com/episodes/dua-lipas-disco-fever

More analysis of old funk showing up in modern tracks.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/podcasts/series/one-by-willie/

Very good Texas Monthly podcast where musicians and celebrities each talk about their favorite Willie Nelson track.

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/ongoing-history-daily-yet-another-version-of-the-hips-fully-completely/

Alan Cross visits fellow Canadians' Tragically Hip's classic album (haven't listened to this yet but I'm about to)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Bottom Forty.  Greg is a fan of the original college radio stuff and plays occasional older songs but a ton of new stuff.  The cool thing, he clears all of the songs directly with the artists.  Primarily self-releases or indie labels.  Great show.  Great guy. 

https://radiopublic.com/the-bottom-forty-Ww39Rg

• 3 months later...

Joe Pug is thoughtful and engaging.  His "Working Songwriter" podcast has some really good guests and conversations.  I sometimes wish they'd talk more about the mechanics of writing songs, but I understand that there's a finite public appetite for talking about the best chord progressions for building tension, or about the glorious uncertainty of the major 7 chord.  

His latest episode is a good one - a conversation with Bob Schneider.

This episode has some observations from each of them that I found really relatable.  You songwriter dudes will like it.  If you don't care about his own housekeeping topics, you can skip the first five minutes.  

https://theworkingsongwriter.com/episodes-1/2024/1/2/episode-234-bob-schneider

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Joe Pug is thoughtful and engaging.  His "Working Songwriter" podcast has some really good guests and conversations.  I sometimes wish they'd talk more about the mechanics of writing songs, but I understand that there's a finite public appetite for talking about the best chord progressions for building tension, or about the glorious uncertainty of the major 7 chord.  
His latest episode is a good one - a conversation with Bob Schneider.
This episode has some observations from each of them that I found really relatable.  You songwriter dudes will like it.  If you don't care about his own housekeeping topics, you can skip the first five minutes.  
https://theworkingsongwriter.com/episodes-1/2024/1/2/episode-234-bob-schneider
Thanks. I used to listen to Joe's podcast but lost it in a switch to a different platform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished the Dissect season on Radiohead's In Rainbows. I am a huge Radiohead fan with some familiarity with music theory and thought it was excellent. It may be a bit too much for more casual fans or those who are unfamiliar with the band. There is an episode dedicated to each song on the album, and the host takes a deep dive into each musical section of the song and the lyrics. 

https://www.theringer.com/2023/9/26/23890613/dissect-podcast-radiohead-in-rainbows-breakdown

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 2:11 PM, hullabelew said:

"Sound Opinions" has helped be discover some new bands as well.   They suffer a tiny bit from the same "I'm cooler than you" attitude but it isn't as bad as All Songs Considered.  At the end, they have callers give their opinions on previous shows.  Overall, I like it for discovering new music.

"Americana Music Show" is really, really good.  The dude just plays music and he never repeats a song.  He may play 8 songs from one album over the course of 8 weeks, but he has never repeated a song by an artist.  

"Strong Songs" is very interesting to me, from a songwriter's standpoint.  The guy does a good job of breaking down the songs.   

"Dolly Parton's America" has been a fun listen this year.  They just did the 8th of 9 sessions.  

"Song Of The Day" by The Current.  They just play one song every day.  Some good, some bad...but mostly newer artists.  Played the new John Moreland  a few days ago.  

Strong Songs just started a new season with a fantastic episode on "In Your Eyes".  I have been listening for about 2 years now, and he has gotten pretty good.  He's very much like a music or science teacher, a bit goofy to cheesy at times, but he hits on the stuff that really interests me about songwriting and production.  I could not get into stuff like Song Exploder where get into the personal stories that might interest the average listener more but didn't really scratch an itch for me.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Strong Songs just started a new season with a fantastic episode on "In Your Eyes".  I have been listening for about 2 years now, and he has gotten pretty good.  He's very much like a music or science teacher, a bit goofy to cheesy at times, but he hits on the stuff that really interests me about songwriting and production.  I could not get into stuff like Song Exploder where get into the personal stories that might interest the average listener more but didn't really scratch an itch for me.

I only pay into 3 Patreon sites.  The Strong Songs & The Bottom Forty podcasts and Jeff Plankenhorn, because he is just a kickass dude and we need more kickass dudes.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:19 PM, hullabelew said:

One By Willie by John Spong at Texas Monthly.  This month's is Bruce Robison talking about "Phases and Stages Theme/Walkin'" from Phases and Stages

https://www.texasmonthly.com/podcast/bruce-robison-on-willie-nelsons-saddest-songs/ 

Was going to bump the thread to post this one, but I saw you beat me to it.  

• Hook 'Em 1