Jump to content
tantric superman

Music Podcasts

Recommended Posts

I've had it with All Songs Considered.  Just kind of insufferable.  These dudes like everything.  Every album/song is fucking amazing.  Every female on the podcast vocal fries like a bitch.

The best 'new" music podcast I listen to is KEXP Music That Matters.  I was listening to All Songs Considered but dropping that.  Any suggestions for good "new music" podcasts?

I supplement KEXP Music that Matters with Tiny Desk, The Sounds in My Head (also new, but kind of precious), Tombstone After Dark (old old country, horrific djs), Tell the Band to Go Home (Americana and Canadiana), W.B. Walker Old Soul Radio Show (somewhat angry, somewhat crazed, always a little drunk, hillbilly).

Anyone with any suggestions?  Not really into metal or hiphop or "world music".  Although I do like internal rock/pop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple new podcasts for your consideration.  I'm gonna post links to the webpages, but they're on all the usual podcast platforms.  

This 2-part podcast is about events leading up to the Hell's Angels killing a man at Altamont (I think 50-year anniversary was yesterday).  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/all-told/altamont-part-1-how-the-60s-most-disastrous-and-deadly-concert-came-to-be/

 

Multi-part podcast about the time leading up to Prince's "1999"

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2019/11/15/prince-story-1999-episode-one

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cocaine & Rhinestones is incredible.  I don't know if Season 2 is ever coming out or not, but Season 1 is still one of the best pods I've ever listened to.

I also enjoy Political Beats (no politics actually discussed - just a bunch of political journalists who happen to be music junkies), Otis Gibbs' Thanks For Giving a Damn (lots of stories about old school country artists/Americana), Chris Shifflet's Walking the Floor (interviews with people in the world of country/Americana/rock), The 500 with Josh Adam Meyers (comedians discussing Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time), and Your Favorite Band Sucks (the guy from Cocaine & Rhinestones and a friend taking shots at the sacred cows of rock).

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Song Exploder was really good. Got taken over by someone else a year or so ago so I don't know if it still is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Cocaine & Rhinestones is incredible.  I don't know if Season 2 is ever coming out or not, but Season 1 is still one of the best pods I've ever listened to.

I also enjoy Political Beats (no politics actually discussed - just a bunch of political journalists who happen to be music junkies), Otis Gibbs' Thanks For Giving a Damn (lots of stories about old school country artists/Americana), Chris Shifflet's Walking the Floor (interviews with people in the world of country/Americana/rock), The 500 with Josh Adam Meyers (comedians discussing Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time), and Your Favorite Band Sucks (the guy from Cocaine & Rhinestones and a friend taking shots at the sacred cows of rock).

Thanks for those recommendations.

It's pretty funny to listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones and hear Tyler Coe being so careful and thoughtful to measure his words... and then in YFBS he does pretty much the opposite of that.  

I'll check out Political Beats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Thanks for those recommendations.

It's pretty funny to listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones and hear Tyler Coe being so careful and thoughtful to measure his words... and then in YFBS he does pretty much the opposite of that.  

I'll check out Political Beats.  

His Twitter is a pretty good follow, too.  It's mostly YFBS style trolling, but damn funny at times.

Political Beats is one of my favorite formats.  The hosts plus the guest all discuss the trajectory of an artist they love, why/how they got into said artist, and then give song and album recs at the end.  I've picked up a lot of stuff regarding bands I love, and always find it interesting to hear about what others love (or don't love) and why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, tantric superman said:

I've had it with All Songs Considered.  Just kind of insufferable.  These dudes like everything.  Every album/song is fucking amazing.  

Every year for the past decade, one of the tools I use to find new artists is their end-of-year "best of" episode.  I used to go down to Waterloo and pick up a few CDs based on that.  

But yeah, the podcast suffers from an overwhelming self-consciousness from the hosts.  An awful lot of the picks seem like insincere affectations, i.e. "I'll seem cooler to the other critics if I say I love this."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, Paul Wesley said:

Every year for the past decade, one of the tools I use to find new artists is their end-of-year "best of" episode.  I used to go down to Waterloo and pick up a few CDs based on that.  

But yeah, the podcast suffers from an overwhelming self-consciousness from the hosts.  An awful lot of the picks seem like insincere affectations, i.e. "I'll seem cooler to the other critics if I say I love this."

"Sound Opinions" has helped be discover some new bands as well.   They suffer a tiny bit from the same "I'm cooler than you" attitude but it isn't as bad as All Songs Considered.  At the end, they have callers give their opinions on previous shows.  Overall, I like it for discovering new music.

"Americana Music Show" is really, really good.  The dude just plays music and he never repeats a song.  He may play 8 songs from one album over the course of 8 weeks, but he has never repeated a song by an artist.  

"Strong Songs" is very interesting to me, from a songwriter's standpoint.  The guy does a good job of breaking down the songs.   

"Dolly Parton's America" has been a fun listen this year.  They just did the 8th of 9 sessions.  

"Song Of The Day" by The Current.  They just play one song every day.  Some good, some bad...but mostly newer artists.  Played the new John Moreland  a few days ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 10:44 AM, 4th&Five said:

The new episode of Broken Record with Rick Rubin and Andre 3000 is great. 

Just listened to this.  Not what I was expecting.  It felt honest and unguarded in a way that you have to tip your hat to Andre.

Thanks for the tip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree. I probably should have said you don’t have to be an OutKast fan to enjoy it. Good, deep, honest talk about a wide range of things. Can’t wait for part 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Road Taken with CT and Baio is pretty good.  Two of the other guys in Vampire Weekend host and talk to musicians and tell stories about life while out on tour.  It is pretty new, but they have some really good guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...