Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

Just finished the Lifetime half in Chicago. Didn’t train for this as much as I should have with our hot ass TX summer. Didn’t PR but still finished at a respectable time (for me). Talk about perspectives. It’s 74 today. Glorious. Was talking to a girl from Minnesota who was complaining to me how hot it was. 

I had an absolute blast stripping wetsuits today at the Chattanooga Ironman and it was nice to see it from that perspective for a change. I highly recommend volunteering for an event if it is close to you. I went back down about mid afternoon to watch run transition and I cannot wait to suffer there next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am 6 IPA’s deep and have an 18 mile trail race tomorrow where I go down Lookout Mountain Ga and the last 3 miles are almost straight back up. I can possibly win my age group even though my first ever trail run was last week. Fuck it, we’ll do it live!!!  Weather will be a balmy 33 at the start. 

19 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I am 6 IPA’s deep and have an 18 mile trail race tomorrow where I go down Lookout Mountain Ga and the last 3 miles are almost straight back up. I can possibly win my age group even though my first ever trail run was last week. Fuck it, we’ll do it live!!!  Weather will be a balmy 33 at the start. 

Things I learned…. It was a 19.3 mile race his year for reasons no one will ever understand. There was 5500 in elevation climbing today. I am not a trail runner. 

• Haha 1

Haven't really checked in here like I have in the past. Had an up and down '23. Highs were PRs in the 5K (16:22), 10K (34:30) and Half (1:14). Took 2 minutes off my 10K and nearly 6 off my half which I'm thrilled with considering I'm 45. I switched run clubs and coaches in February, and it paid off. I had a terrible full in Chicago (2:52), but the highlight was just participating in the marathon that Kiptum set the new world record in. That was two bad marathons in a row so gotta figure that out next year. 

Edited by UrbanAchiever
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tapering for Houston right now. Reflecting back, it’s kind of surreal that I couldn’t run a mile without stopping 3 or 4 years ago. Now I’m about to try my second full marathon. A real testament to hard work and just having fun.

Good luck to everyone this winter!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/1/2024 at 6:21 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Tapering for Houston right now. Reflecting back, it’s kind of surreal that I couldn’t run a mile without stopping 3 or 4 years ago. Now I’m about to try my second full marathon. A real testament to hard work and just having fun.

Good luck to everyone this winter!

Second marathon. 3:49. Over an hour shaved off from last year. Fuck yeah.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...

Novice runner here, just turned 50. Always been more of a gym strength/cardio guy. I thought it would be nice to maybe run a half marathon by the end of the year. I tested out where I am this morning. Ran 2 miles at an 11:30 pace. I thought that I probably could’ve gone three but that might’ve been pushing it. Any tips on building longer endurance? What should my weekly run pattern look like? I’m on the road a lot, but can still get runs in for the most part. I’ll hang up and listen. 

44 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Novice runner here, just turned 50. Always been more of a gym strength/cardio guy. I thought it would be nice to maybe run a half marathon by the end of the year. I tested out where I am this morning. Ran 2 miles at an 11:30 pace. I thought that I probably could’ve gone three but that might’ve been pushing it. Any tips on building longer endurance? What should my weekly run pattern look like? I’m on the road a lot, but can still get runs in for the most part. I’ll hang up and listen. 

I think at your age you need to focus on adding mileage until you’re at 15-20 per week and then you can work on trimming time (tons of advice on the web for how to do that). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, if you want to do my routine it will get you there fine-I run 30 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday and then do 5 miles or 60 min, whichever is longer on Saturday morning (I also do resistance workouts and I’m sure you’ll want to continue doing those, as well).  Maybe once a quarter I will do 10 miles on Saturday (usually when the family is out of town).  

You can play with speed training (if you want) during the week and then just worry about the miles on the weekend run.  Probably the biggest challenge for you is going to be to not add miles too fast (I.e., if you can only do 6 miles a week right now, trying to gut out 10 might be possible but it also might result in injury).  That’s one reason why I’d suggest just running for time right now and not for miles.  If you have to walk, that’s fine, too.  It’ll help get your feet ready. 

On 2/18/2024 at 11:28 AM, HiggyBaby said:

don't worry about pace right now. Add a mile to your longest run every week.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:14 AM, LCHorn said:

I think at your age you need to focus on adding mileage until you’re at 15-20 per week and then you can work on trimming time (tons of advice on the web for how to do that). 

53 here... huge Hal Higdon fan. Everything needed is free on his website - click on level and scroll down and will see training calendar. Has apps if that's your thing too.  https://www.halhigdon.com/training/half-marathon-training/

I really liked the - just do this - here's a plan, you'll be good approach. There are likely better programs for time, etc but highly recommend his plans until you decide you need something else. Off running days perfect for working in lifting (something I wish I did/do more of)

Just know on any of the running programs, "run" usually means at a pace where you could hold a conversation with someone while doing it.  ie. slow down while building up distance to avoid injuries.

I'll usually just repeat a program or time things (repeat a week, etc) so hits race weekend accordingly.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been averaging 30-35 miles a week but have a half marathon coming up in late March and I want to hit another sub 1:30 so did a track workout today for the first time in 5 months and holy fuck it’s sucked. I ran 3 miles easy and did 8x 400 at race pace and then another mile slightly slower than race pace. My legs were shot and just reaffirms why speed work is so important. 

I will knock this half out and then it’s the Chattanooga 70.3 in May and Chattanooga 140.6 in September. 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:41 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

53 here... huge Hal Higdon fan. Everything needed is free on his website - click on level and scroll down and will see training calendar. Has apps if that's your thing too.  https://www.halhigdon.com/training/half-marathon-training/

I really liked the - just do this - here's a plan, you'll be good approach. There are likely better programs for time, etc but highly recommend his plans until you decide you need something else. Off running days perfect for working in lifting (something I wish I did/do more of)

Just know on any of the running programs, "run" usually means at a pace where you could hold a conversation with someone while doing it.  ie. slow down while building up distance to avoid injuries.

I'll usually just repeat a program or time things (repeat a week, etc) so hits race weekend accordingly.

Love the Hal Higdon stuff.  I used his Marathon 3 to train for the Houston Marathon this last year as I wanted to also incorporate cycling and swimming into the program as I'm gearing up for triathlons this year (Olympic in May and 70.3 Waco in October).  I hit every single long run called for and really dialed in in 2023 running upwards of 40+ miles per week during the summer to build the aerobic base.

14 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Love the Hal Higdon stuff.  I used his Marathon 3 to train for the Houston Marathon this last year as I wanted to also incorporate cycling and swimming into the program as I'm gearing up for triathlons this year (Olympic in May and 70.3 Waco in October).  I hit every single long run called for and really dialed in in 2023 running upwards of 40+ miles per week during the summer to build the aerobic base.

I wish I would have done similar early on. Worked great for me when first starting, especially for Half Marathons (my favorite distance).  When I finally decided to try a couple full marathons it was clear I needed more non-running activity to really "enjoy" the actual race.  I did 2 and finished both but didn't have a great experience either time. I'm starting back up now incorporating more strength and speed work.  As @Clintonaldo mentioned - speed work should not be avoided.  Everyone I knew doing that changed to incorporate speed work religiously shaved a ton off their times along with having much better race experiences. 

59 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I wish I would have done similar early on. Worked great for me when first starting, especially for Half Marathons (my favorite distance).  When I finally decided to try a couple full marathons it was clear I needed more non-running activity to really "enjoy" the actual race.  I did 2 and finished both but didn't have a great experience either time. I'm starting back up now incorporating more strength and speed work.  As @Clintonaldo mentioned - speed work should not be avoided.  Everyone I knew doing that changed to incorporate speed work religiously shaved a ton off their times along with having much better race experiences. 

Agree with the speed work.  The first marathon I did (Houston 2023), I did the training with my wife who is unquestionably slower than me.  We did the beginner marathon plan to cross the finish line.  It did NOT go well and left a bad taste in my mouth.  I signed up for 2024 the same day I finished 2023 and changed up my training, ran at my own pace, and shaved over an hour off my time from 2023.  Marathon 3 was absolutely fantastic.  Maybe not for someone doing their first marathon as the mileage is already pretty high at the beginning.

When I pr’d my half last year ( 1:28) is when I started taking track workouts seriously ( as in doing them for the first time) and it all made sense on race day at mile 8. I knew then I was running a sub 1:30. It isn’t so much the lungs as it is the legs and the lactic acid. 

3 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

When I pr’d my half last year ( 1:28) is when I started taking track workouts seriously ( as in doing them for the first time) and it all made sense on race day at mile 8. I knew then I was running a sub 1:30. It isn’t so much the lungs as it is the legs and the lactic acid. 

My PR for half marathon is a 1:45:40.  I'm slowly working my way down as I continue just getting mileage in and doing speed work every other week.  I've only really been running for three years.  I have a half marathon this weekend but I will probably just run it with my wife.

We're heading out to Vegas at the beginning of August for the Revel Series Mt. Charleston downhill marathon.  Meeting some friends out there.  It's a Boston Qualifier but I won't touch 3:05:00 which is the cutoff for my age bracket.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

My PR for half marathon is a 1:45:40.  I'm slowly working my way down as I continue just getting mileage in and doing speed work every other week.  I've only really been running for three years.  I have a half marathon this weekend but I will probably just run it with my wife.

We're heading out to Vegas at the beginning of August for the Revel Series Mt. Charleston downhill marathon.  Meeting some friends out there.  It's a Boston Qualifier but I won't touch 3:05:00 which is the cutoff for my age bracket.

If you can run 1:45 you can run 1:30 if that is even a goal for you. You are on the right path. Make the easy runs easy and the hard runs hard. 

Anybody up in the NE Texas area interested in a fantastic run, the Fresh 15 put on by Brookshire's is this weekend.  Fantastic race that is well put on and supported by the community up there.  They have a 15k, 5k, and kids K option.  They routinely sell out in advance (sold out about 2 weeks ago for this year's race).  The race is tomorrow but they immediately open up the following year's race the day after the race.  All money goes to local charities.  This will be my 4th year running it.  Since it's put on by Brookshire's grocery, they always have tons of food vendors giving out free stuff as well.  Just a heads up.  Have a great weekend everyone.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did an event with the Chattanooga triathlon club where you swim and run the Ironman 70.3 course today and bike it tomorrow. The water was cold as hell and had a hard time getting settled in but finished it in 35 minutes. Most only ran one loop on the run but I was feeling good and there was a hot 23 ish year old as we were coming up on the point where you turn back or do another loop and she said let’s do another one so I said why not. Finished the half marathon with a 1:40 and not a hard pace. This is the best I’ve ever felt before an Ironman. The look on my buddies face when they saw me running back with the hot chick made it all worth it. Also, the 5 Miller Lites at the luncheon after were the best I’ve ever had. 

I will make this my own personal blog if y’all don’t want to contribute to the thread. I rode the course today and it was 53 and windy with light rain. Overall, felt great and almost ran a few after but decided to get beers instead. 

I had my first wreck on my new bike. I pulled into an aid station and clipped and went to put my foot down and for the first time ever flawlessly clipped back in on accident ate shit in front of everyone. I was embarrassed for 32 seconds when someone else fell. I thanked them and we both laughed.