Game 17: Texas at Kansas, 8 PM, ESPN

Machinator

1 minute ago, sunset87 said:

Going for the 3 and the win, unfortunately they ran the panicked, herd offense. Fugly...

Actually it was genius on Self’s part to call that timeout and let Shaka draw up a final play.  Our chances of making it on the fly would have probably been much greater.

• Like 1

as soon as the play ends our entire team all start looking around at each other like, "wtf were you doing?", except for DO who displays his usual level of disinterest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposed to have a pick on both sides. DO doesn't set one a and Roach either doesn't set up on the right side or doesn't dive to the hole off the pick regardless trash ass execution by both of our seniors.

24 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Bill Self is a genius...called the TO to let Shaka draw up a regarded play.

I know you're making a joke, and I get it, but...

I don't give a shit what Condi RIce thinks, college basketball's biggest problems are:

1.  Pace of play, mainly end of game

2.  Inconsistent officiating

3. Overcoaching 

And this is my huge pet peeve on #3 -- there is no reason to save timeouts, because the other coach will call a timeout if you need one.  It happens over and over during the season.  

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Tough loss, but saw progress with this Texas basketball team tonight.

Find a way to bring that energy to future games and close out better..... got a formula to win a bunch more games in B12.... 🤘

appreciate the positivity.  we happened to shoot well from 3 tonight.  we'll go 3 games now looking like shit from 3.  it's what this team does.  

Yep DO never got close to screening for Ramey. Looks like both Roach and Febres tried to screen for Coleman (neither did). It's almost like Coleman was going faster than everyone else and it all fell apart. I think a second pass to Ramey may have been the play. But horrible execution as always out of a timeout.

At the end of the game Febres and Ramey were looking around incredulously, Coleman was smiling (probably didn't know what else to do), and Roach had his hands over his head.

And then there's Dylan...the ball bounces off the rim, basically bounces off Dylan's face, and he just stands there completely expressionless, and then turns and walks away. No reaction. I seriously don't think he should even be playing this sport, and I absolutely would rather have someone like Hamm who plays with a passion getting the majority of DO's minutes. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

If he goes to the corner like he's supposed to, Vick goes with him. Two defenders went with Coleman off Febres' screen so if Snoop did what he was supposed to there Febres would've had a wide open look. As it happened, Snoop's brain fart allowed Vick to stay up top and get a good contest on Febres' shot.

Good:  Osetkowski started rolling rather than pop.  Once he rolls, it not only creates more space on the perimeter, but offside defense helps creating space for an open 3.  We don't always hit the open 3, but it's a good shot.  Or is this bad, because he only half-rolled sometimes and spent plenty of time popping as well.

Fair:  Better offensive rebounding in first half. Sims had 7 rebounds overall. And then let McCormack get 3 in second half.

Bad: Mitrou-Long's defense.  He gave up too many offensive drives that resulted in easy shots. Didn't see Tech game, but he gave up key offensive drive in OSU game in last 3 minutes, when OSU could barely score.  KU shot nearly 54%.  And the dreck at the end.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

appreciate the positivity.  we happened to shoot well from 3 tonight.  we'll go 3 games now looking like shit from 3.  it's what this team does.  

The team went into last night thinking it had no chance to win and nothing to lose, so it played loose and hung in. That's the team I've been saying will win 20 and eke out an NCAA bid. The problem is that as soon as they think they SHOULD win a game, the lid comes down on the basket and they overthink everything. 

Personally if I coached a team I saw doing that, I would change things up to try to encourage more free-flowing basketball. Like pressing and trapping and trying to increase tempo and the % of the game spent in transition.

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The team went into last night thinking it had no chance to win and nothing to lose, so it played loose and hung in. That's the team I've been saying will win 20 and eke out an NCAA bid. The problem is that as soon as they think they SHOULD win a game, the lid comes down on the basket and they overthink everything. 

Personally if I coached a team I saw doing that, I would change things up to try to encourage more free-flowing basketball. Like pressing and trapping and trying to increase tempo and the % of the game spent in transition.

The press did not work well at all last night. Kansas' athletes were too good and too well-coached.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

The press did not work well at all last night. Kansas' athletes were too good and too well-coached.

You misunderstand. The team played loose last night; there was no reason to try to shake them out of overthinking and tentative play because it wasn't there last night. That's why I said IF I saw a team playing like that, THEN I would change things up. 

8 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Or, if we play like we did last night, we'll win.  

On another note, is this the best team of the Shaka Smart era?  I think it could be.

no. his first team was much better than this team. even after Ridley went down we won five games against ranked teams, including sweeping top 10-15 ranked WVU, and beating Final Four participant OU. The league was MUCH tougher that year and we finished tied for third, which is certainly higher than we will finish this year. Isaiah Taylor has been sorely missed by Shaka, and nobody on this current team is anywhere near as impactful a player as he was. Taylor was 1st team all Big XII ahead of Jevon Carter, Frank Mason, and more. EDJ and Roach were 1st Team All-Newcomer players, Prince Ibeh was the Big XII DPOY, and he couldn't even get any meaningful PT until Cam Ridley went down. And btw, when Ridley went down he was the only player in america averaging a double double with 3+ blocks per game.

So no. not in a million years is this team better than Shaka's first team. I haven't even mentioned guys like Connor Lammert and Javan Felix, both of whom are better than some of our starters/major players, and who if they played on this team would be two of our three best shooters. no. no no no. not even close. 

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

even after Ridley went down we won five games against ranked teams, including sweeping top 10-15 ranked WVU, and beating Final Four participant OU.

Adding some context to this.

OU was the #10 KenPom team.

West Virginia was #8, and we swept them.

We beat Iowa State at home (in OT). They were #20.

We beat #25 Vanderbilt at home.

We beat #24 Baylor on the road.

That's 6 wins against the KenPom top 25 after Ridley's injury.

This year, we have 2 so far (UNC (neutral), Purdue). Obviously, we'll have the opportunity for several more. Let's see how that goes.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Adding some context to this.

OU was the #10 KenPom team.

West Virginia was #8, and we swept them.

We beat Iowa State at home (in OT). They were #20.

We beat #25 Vanderbilt at home.

We beat #24 Baylor on the road.

That's 6 wins against the KenPom top 25 after Ridley's injury.

This year, we have 2 so far (UNC (neutral), Purdue). Obviously, we'll have the opportunity for several more. Let's see how that goes.

Despite all of the above, a couple of things that were evident then which have held true during Shaka's tenure are our inability to rebound the ball at or above our talent level and a relatively good ability to take of the ball. Shaka's 1st team was decidedly worse at rebounding the ball than Barnes last team and demonstrably better at taking care of the ball (which is why we swept WVU that year) than Barnes' last team as well.

The toughness factor is something that I've been critical of with Shaka during the last 4 years and it's reason 1, more than offensive woes or late game situational composure, that will ultimately earn him his ouster. There's a certain level of tenacity and guile that's needed in late game basketball that his teams simply haven't displayed consistently. Too many "fans" here evaluate basketball as though it's football where every situation can be schemed up and executed in some sort of linear fashion to over come whatever obstacle is in the way. Basketball simply doesn't work that way, there's way too much volatility especially the college variety. So much of late game execution has to do with one or two dudes making shit happen, or getting a tough offensive or defensive rebound when it's absolutely needed. A lot of what we saw of that in the past with Barnes originated from the extremely intense environment he created within the program. Shaka's program simply hasn't fostered the same level of toughness and more times than not the results are evident each time his teams get into tense situations. 

• Like 2

and to add on to that, in late game situations (and in the tourney) you need guys who can create their own shot, and we've just never had that under Shaka, save AJ. Without a go-to guy in those situations, along with everything catdaddy mentioned, that's a recipe for disaster in late-game situations. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1