bigup2dahorns

Texas recruiting notes 2019

I don’t interpret that so much as Jake looking for a way out as much as it’s that the staff has to feed kids the ball in the first place. i think he’s complaining about millennials 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t interpret that so much as Jake looking for a way out as much as it’s that the staff has to feed kids the ball in the first place. i think he’s complaining about millennials 

You know you're barking up the right tree when you and Randy Edsall are working off the same talking points:

Edited by texifornia

Which is why this staff will be recruiting QB's every single season.. even if VY walks in that room, they will recruit a top 5 QB the very next class. Shep was a project and we all were surprised he stuck with his commitment last spring.  So let aggy celebrate and act like he is the start of a new momentum wave.  Wish Shep the best.

34 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fuck off with the entitled kids bullshit. That's aggy territory.

yeah but kids are entitled, now more than ever.  big, gaping pussies.  like you, ricky. 

13 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I tend to agree.  

But he’s not wrong. He should be getting the ball more.  He should have at least 5 touches a game.  

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

But he’s not wrong. He should be getting the ball more.  He should have at least 5 touches a game.  

I'm confused, is he an entitled millennial because he he's correctly demanding to touch the ball more or because he's successfully demanding the staff force feed the ball to him more than is justified?

I can't keep the olds straight.

- On TDs, Smith, with 5, is 4th in the entire Big 12 conference, and second on the team.  As a true freshman.  (He's 1 TD behind team leader Duvernay.)

- On receptions, with 20, he is 1 behind the #2 guy on the team, senior Collin Johnson. (Johnson did miss a couple of games.)

- He couldn't enroll early (because of Az rules), so he was only a regular enrollee.

So yeah, as Tex says, frustration because of playing opportunities would be tough to defend.

Smith will very likely catch 100 balls next year and at least 40 as a true freshman (summer enrollee). What more do these kids want???

In my experience, the best way to connect with and engage a group of people, specifically teenagers, is to make sweeping and condescending  generalizations about the laziness of their entire generation. That's really gonna motivate these kids to prove the older generations wrong!

Guest fu1

Surely, Jake Smith is not unhappy with his playing time and results.  He needs to learn how to hang onto the football.  If he portals, which seems stupid, move Whittington/Roschon to the slot.

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

In my experience, the best way to connect with and engage a group of people, specifically teenagers, is to make sweeping and condescending  generalizations about the laziness of their entire generation. That's really gonna motivate these kids to prove the older generations wrong!

The ultimate cherry on top is to throw the word pussy in there a few times too. This combination is like running through a brick wall along side these newly enlightened young men.

41 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I bet he’s homesick.

Weird how none of the Texas guys that go to Alabama or Ohio State get homesick...

Look I don’t want to be dramatic about this, but if Jake Smith doesn’t get more targets then I will kill myself. 

Tom Herman you have until the rest of the day. 

16 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Weird how none of the Texas guys that go to Alabama or Ohio State get homesick...

They do but we why would we hear about it, I think it was Dobbins that came out and shared how depressed he was having to live in that rustyshitbelt. 

28 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Winning makes everyone happy.

We beat Kansas. Is everyone happy??

The problem with Smith is that he’s one of these super athletic diva WRs with a ton of god given talent, but he lacks the work ethic or intelligence to really be a great player. He runs lazy routes and relies on his natural abilities rather than learning his position. It’s not entirely his fault, he comes from a low income area and a single parent household. He’s also got all his friends and family back home with their hands out just waiting for him to make it big. It’s pretty impressive he’s even made it this far with the deck being so stacked against him. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

The portal has set me on the same path with the Horns as the Cowboys. Eff the whole sport. I’m tired of following entitled punks and billionaires who care about nothing but extracting as much money from me as possible.

The portal has set me on the same path with the Horns as the Cowboys. Eff the whole sport. I’m tired of following entitled punks and billionaires who care about nothing but extracting as much money from me as possible.

56 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

giphy.gif

seems like he's also having difficulty playing school--and since he's from NJ, seems like an aggy lock:

In mid-August, head coach Nick Saban said during his press conference that Alfano missed three practices during the week due to personal reasons. Those absences forced Alabama’s No. 1 recruit to watch from the sidelines for the Tide’s first victory over the Duke Blue Devils. The following week, the defensive end missed practice, then again, did not play in the team’s home-opening win over New Mexico State. Saban said Alfano was “going through some discipline things with me” that related to academics.

7 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Smith will very likely catch 100 balls next year and at least 40 as a true freshman (summer enrollee). What more do these kids want???

40 balls?  sounds like he wants to catch more. 

44 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

seems like he's also having difficulty playing school--and since he's from NJ, seems like an aggy lock:

In mid-August, head coach Nick Saban said during his press conference that Alfano missed three practices during the week due to personal reasons. Those absences forced Alabama’s No. 1 recruit to watch from the sidelines for the Tide’s first victory over the Duke Blue Devils. The following week, the defensive end missed practice, then again, did not play in the team’s home-opening win over New Mexico State. Saban said Alfano was “going through some discipline things with me” that related to academics.

Jimbo is that kid's muse.  

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Jimbo is that kid's muse.  

if they were to get a kid like this along with Shepherd, they potentially would have an explosive locker room.  It can be done with a discipline first head coach and a crazy or two but Jimbo ain't that and he's crazy to boot.  We'll see if they go the full outlaw route.    

1 hour ago, futureman said:

40 balls?  sounds like he wants to catch more. 

South Austin’s mom catches more balls in an afternoon

7 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

if they were to get a kid like this along with Shepherd, they potentially would have an explosive locker room.  It can be done with a discipline first head coach and a crazy or two but Jimbo ain't that and he's crazy to boot.  We'll see if they go the full outlaw route.    

Add Evans and chefskiss.gif

Simmons: "Bad luck" has impacted Texas' young talent in 2019

ByAUSTIN NIVISON Nov 25, 6:36 PM

It’s been a frustrating season in Austin for Tom Herman and the Longhorns. While a good portion of the blame falls at his feet, there has been some bad luck that has factored in.

When a team starts the fall in the top 10 of the preseason rankings but sits at 6-5 through 11 games, there was bound to be some poor luck along the way. For the Longhorns, there is really no better example of that than taking a look at the team’s lauded 2019 signing class that was ranked No. 3 in the country by the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings.

On the latest episode of the Cover 3 Podcast, 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons did admit that it’s easy to see how Texas fans could feel so frustrated by the Herman era thus far, especially after how last year ended.

“There was no doubt about Tom Herman,” Simmons said. “He was the guy. Sam Ehlinger gets on the stage at the Sugar Bowl, and says, ‘We’re back.’ The program starts recruiting at a really high level. Now, you look up and holy cow. You’re telling me we could have a 6-6 season again? So, I can see how frustrating it is.”

However, Simmons also explained how Texas’ excellent 2019 signing class has already gotten off to an unfortunate start. For those looking at recruiting rankings and wondering how the Longhorns haven’t put it together under Herman just yet, Simmons breaks it down by taking a look at a handful of key players.

"We were talking in the office today before the pod that you can’t just blindly look at recruiting rankings and just think all is well,” Simmons said. “Texas’ 2019 class was No. 3 in the country. Highest ranked commit was Bru McCoy. Transfers out before the season. Jordan Whittington, second highest ranked player, has been injured all season. Jake Smith, the third-highest ranked player, has been a little disappointing so far. De’Gabriel Floyd, fifth highest ranked player, is out with spinal stenosis. Tyler Owens and Kenyatta Watson were both upside guys that were not expected to start right away. Roschon Johnson is a quarterback who was moved to running back and has actually been pretty good. Derrian Brown had a stroke before he could get to campus — another running back commit. It’s been a lot of bad luck. This will be interesting to see if they can get it back rolling again.”

While Texas should have been better than they were this fall, there were some factors out of Herman’s control that came into play this year. It will be interesting to see whether Herman’s team is able to bounce back after the program underachieved on the field this year.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Barton-Simmons-explains-how-bad-luck-has-hit-Texas-in-2019-139228130/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/17/2019 at 11:46 AM, golfclap said:

Ivy league offers aren't the same type of scholarship. 

USM has Scotty Walden on staff and has just named him Co-OC. If you want to find the next UberWunderkind in college football coaching - this is him. 

USM has produced some good QBs that are currently having success in the NFL. (Austin Davis and Nick Mullens). 

Sounds like USM just made Walden the interim HC and handed him a wet bag of dog shit. If he can do anything with the mess Hopson left trying to save his own ass and a locker room full of mistrust USM should give him the job next year. If he can’t or they don’t Texas should roll up on him with any analyst/assistant role we have and give him a 100 cases of Red Bull and let him do his thing. 

22 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Bro u scarin me with the bump. 

I was checking dates while my heart rate jacked. Talk about a buzz kill. Lol

Edited by NorLa Horns
proof reading is hard