Jump to content
oSuJeff97

Old 97's appreciation thread

Recommended Posts

For anyone interested in tuning in.... Old 97's are playing the full album and doing a Q&A with fans on YouTube tonight at 8 p.m. Central.

New album drops tomorrow... I'll have to wait a few days for my Texas edition vinyl to show up from Waterloo.... :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dig "Bottle Rocket Baby".

If I had any criticism, it seems that since "Most Messed Up", they've been in the same vein.  It's probably my favorite kind of Old 97's vein - the raucous, light hearted, whimsical party vein.  But there hasn't been much of the vulnerable side of them lately, it seems.  I think that's what makes "Too Far to Care" so fucking perfect.  They're doing both at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I dig "Bottle Rocket Baby".

If I had any criticism, it seems that since "Most Messed Up", they've been in the same vein.  It's probably my favorite kind of Old 97's vein - the raucous, light hearted, whimsical party vein.  But there hasn't been much of the vulnerable side of them lately, it seems.  I think that's what makes "Too Far to Care" so fucking perfect.  They're doing both at the same time.

I've largely avoided the singles because I wanted to listen to everything at once in album form, but based on several interviews I've heard with Rhett, I think this album does delve into some of his conflicted feelings about his drug/booze days.

One thing that was interesting that he talked about on the live Stageit show where he played "Most Messed Up" was that was basically the time in his life where he started to feel the booze/weed was starting to take over a bit too much.  In fact, he said (right before playing it) that they don't play "The Disconnect" live any more because that song is basically "too autobiographical" which I thought was interesting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've largely avoided the singles because I wanted to listen to everything at once in album form, but based on several interviews I've heard with Rhett, I think this album does delve into some of his conflicted feelings about his drug/booze days.
One thing that was interesting that he talked about on the live Stageit show where he played "Most Messed Up" was that was basically the time in his life where he started to feel the booze/weed was starting to take over a bit too much.  In fact, he said (right before playing it) that they don't play "The Disconnect" live any more because that song is basically "too autobiographical" which I thought was interesting. 
 

Kind of a side bar, but I find interesting that Rhett has said in multiple interviews that his pot use was more problematic than booze. There’s nothing more eye roll inducing to me than someone who says “I’m sober, but I still smoke pot”.

I think it’s super admirable that he wasn’t really out of control, but he was concerned that he wouldn’t be available in a literal and figurative sense for his kids, and that’s why he quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For anyone interested in tuning in.... Old 97's are playing the full album and doing a Q&A with fans on YouTube tonight at 8 p.m. Central.
New album drops tomorrow... I'll have to wait a few days for my Texas edition vinyl to show up from Waterloo....  


Is there a recording of this anywhere? Missed it due to family obligations. Would love to check it out. Looking forward to spinning the new album later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely a change up from the last couple.  The lead singles were a nice little slight of hand.

Not sure where it will land for me, but early impression (I haven't even finished the album) are favorable, and it kind of reminds me of Rhett solo albums in spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, C-Man said:

 


Is there a recording of this anywhere? Missed it due to family obligations. Would love to check it out. Looking forward to spinning the new album later today.

 

Well it didn't really end up being a Q&A... I think I misunderstood what it was going to be. Basically they just played the album straight through and the band was on a live chat on the side... but of course there were like 20 posts a second so it was kind of hard to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is definitely a change up from the last couple.  The lead singles were a nice little slight of hand.

Not sure where it will land for me, but early impression (I haven't even finished the album) are favorable, and it kind of reminds me of Rhett solo albums in spots.

For sure.

Also there is kind of a nostalgic vibe that I really dig... lots of name-checking mid-90s Dallas stuff, which is super cool. I'm sure the Dallas folks will dig that. I didn't live there but spent A LOT of time in Dallas in the mid-late 90s. (My best friend from OSU moved there after college and there was a long stretch where I was there at least once a month, if not more... I very nearly moved there in '98, but met my first wife and yada, yada, yada I still live in Tulsa, lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

For sure.

Also there is kind of a nostalgic vibe that I really dig... lots of name-checking mid-90s Dallas stuff, which is super cool. I'm sure the Dallas folks will dig that. I didn't live there but spent A LOT of time in Dallas in the mid-late 90s. (My best friend from OSU moved there after college and there was a long stretch where I was there at least once a month, if not more... I very nearly moved there in '98, but met my first wife and yada, yada, yada I still live in Tulsa, lol)

Looking forward to listening to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

For sure.

Also there is kind of a nostalgic vibe that I really dig... lots of name-checking mid-90s Dallas stuff, which is super cool. I'm sure the Dallas folks will dig that. I didn't live there but spent A LOT of time in Dallas in the mid-late 90s. (My best friend from OSU moved there after college and there was a long stretch where I was there at least once a month, if not more... I very nearly moved there in '98, but met my first wife and yada, yada, yada I still live in Tulsa, lol)

I think the 2nd half is really solid.  Bottle Rocket Baby is my early favorite, and I like it more hearing how it fits into the album between Our Year and Absence (What We've Got).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think the 2nd half is really solid.  Bottle Rocket Baby is my early favorite, and I like it more hearing how it fits into the album between Our Year and Absence (What We've Got).

Yeah.

My early favs are "This House Got Ghosts", "Confessional Boxing", and "Belmont Hotel."  Also both Murry songs are great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah.

My early favs are "This House Got Ghosts", "Confessional Boxing", and "Belmont Hotel."  Also both Murry songs are great.

I love ending on a Murry song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I love ending on a Murry song.

Yes. "Valentine" at the end of Fight Songs is my favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Our Year” just slays me. It’s peak wistful heartbreaking Rhett Miller.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...