American deaths in the Dominican Republic

Pancho

• 4 weeks later...

They got this sugar cane liquor in Costa Rica called guaro. They sell it in plastic bottles for about 5 bucks. I bought some. I took it home. I drank some. I sat around. I drank some more. I sat around. I guess I coulda stood back up and done something else that day, but we'll never know.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

They got this sugar cane liquor in Costa Rica called guaro. They sell it in plastic bottles for about 5 bucks. I bought some. I took it home. I drank some. I sat around. I drank some more. I sat around. I guess I coulda stood back up and done something else that day, but we'll never know.

no shit. and not the best thing to be drinking anywhere in Central America. Stick with beer, leave the hooch to the locals. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Dominican Republic resort where a Delaware woman says she was beaten unconscious is temporarily closing due to low occupancy.

Majestic Resorts says it has lost thousands of visitors since stories of American tourists dying or being seriously injured while visiting the island started becoming public earlier this year.

Tammy Lawrence-Daley, a 51-year-old from Wilmington, was one of the first to share her story, doing so via Facebook in May. She posted that she was beaten and strangled multiple times to unconsciousness at Majestic's Punta Cana resort in January. 

That resort, the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, announced the temporary closing in a letter to travel agencies. Majestic Resorts said it will close on Aug. 15 with plans to reopen on Nov. 7.

Full article

6 hours ago, spystud13 said:

The Dominican Republic resort where a Delaware woman says she was beaten unconscious is temporarily closing due to low occupancy.

Majestic Resorts says it has lost thousands of visitors since stories of American tourists dying or being seriously injured while visiting the island started becoming public earlier this year.

Tammy Lawrence-Daley, a 51-year-old from Wilmington, was one of the first to share her story, doing so via Facebook in May. She posted that she was beaten and strangled multiple times to unconsciousness at Majestic's Punta Cana resort in January. 

That resort, the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, announced the temporary closing in a letter to travel agencies. Majestic Resorts said it will close on Aug. 15 with plans to reopen on Nov. 7.

hqdefault.jpg

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Play stupid games.  Win stupid prizes.  

And don't kick your cash-cow repeatedly in the nuts trying to save a few bucks.  Far too many destination spots to choose from to risk it.  

How the DR would be a destination nation spot (currently, or in the recent past) is beyond my imagination.  I'd love for them to get their act together, and realize how valuable tourism is, and clean up their act.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How the DR would be a destination nation spot (currently, or in the recent past) is beyond my imagination.  I'd love for them to get their act together, and realize how valuable tourism is, and clean up their act.

Follow the same model the Caymans did possibly.  The only thing that is going to lift the DM and other territories out of the mud is foreign investment.  Start with safety and security.  Tourists, investors, and expats need to feel safe before they bring over their money and families.  Engender the financial landscape that attracts foreign investors.  Tax havens.  Offshore investments.  Do this by providing the infrastructure, services and operational freedom and flexibility for international investors and businesses.  Essentially provide a firm commitment to providing the necessary policy and legislation to facilitate orderly development.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Follow the same model the Caymans did possibly.  The only thing that is going to lift the DM and other territories out of the mud is foreign investment.  Start with safety and security.  Tourists, investors, and expats need to feel safe before they bring over their money and families.  Engender the financial landscape that attracts foreign investors.  Tax havens.  Offshore investments.  Do this by providing the infrastructure, services and operational freedom and flexibility for international investors and businesses.  Essentially provide a firm commitment to providing the necessary policy and legislation to facilitate orderly development.

All of this, and create a literate, educated populace.  That will go a long way to reducing crime, which is always holding back DR back.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a new one. 

A 17-year-old Argentine girl died on the last day of her family trip in the Dominican Republic after she stepped on a naked wire while walking barefoot at a beach, The Sun reported last Wednesday. 

Melina Caputo was walking back to her hotel in Punta Cana with her brothers and cousins when she allegedly stepped on a bare wire as she walked up a flight of stairs to cross a bridge. The teenager, who had been studying natural sciences at a school in Argentine city of San Juan, was immediately electrocuted and died, despite efforts from paramedics to save her. 

In the days before her death, Caputo had purportedly posted a chilling message on Instagram, saying, "I am saying goodbye," the Sun notes.

Preliminary investigations reveal that the 17-year-old died from cardio-respiratory failure, although an autopsy has yet to confirm those findings, according to the newspaper. Globalia, the owner of the Be Live hotel where Caputo's family stayed, has also supposedly denied that there were any live wires on the premises.