LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

Just now, White Tiger said:

This board is far more difficult than tigerdroppings.  Wow.  Not sure how one can reply or do anything.  Is there a help board.  Let me suggest you go to tigerdroppings.com and copy what they have done.  

Anyway,, when did you write this because it is completely wrong.  Laughably so...lol.

85e.gif

We'll see how much better a passer SE is compared to JB on saturday.  I think LSU's new offense should be somewhat more effective at moving the chains and scoring compared to La Tech, but I could be wrong about that.  They may be infinitely better than Tech...lol.

Anyway, may the better team win.

2 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

LSU's OL IMO is still TBD. While they did great against GA Southern. It still remains to be seen if they can do it against better competition. 

Well, at this point, we've got something to agree on. My hypothesis is that they don't move well enough to deal with scramble schemes, which are the only kind of defensive schemes that actually work against HUNH RPO (whether the spread or 21 personnel varieties). But that won't be seen until you actually play against a scramble defensive scheme. Orlando's miscellaneous thingamajiggy that he's going to be running out there this weekend will definitely qualify as a decent test of that hypothesis.

5 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

We'll see how much better a passer SE is compared to JB on saturday.  I think LSU's new offense should be somewhat more effective at moving the chains and scoring compared to La Tech, but I could be wrong about that.  They may be infinitely better than Tech...lol.

The big challenge is seeing if LSU can outgain 2018 Maryland. Though...how is your kicker? Because La Tech's guy was terrible.

And yes may the better team win, unless the better team is LSU then I hope for a fluke.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, at this point, we've got something to agree on. My hypothesis is that they don't move well enough to deal with scramble schemes, which are the only kind of defensive schemes that actually work against HUNH RPO (whether the spread or 21 personnel varieties). But that won't be seen until you actually play against a scramble defensive scheme. Orlando's miscellaneous thingamajiggy that he's going to be running out there this weekend will definitely qualify as a decent test of that hypothesis.

Your hypothesis lacks sufficient background research and/or film. 

In order to construct a hypothesis you need background research or in this case game film. Only from there, can you form a hypothesis. The next step would be to test your hypothesis by doing an experiment (practice/game). Then analyze your data and draw a conclusion(s).

• Fuck You 3

11 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

LA Tech had the exact same stat line against LSU last year. Except, against us almost half their yardage came against our backups in garbage time. I remain perplexed why our LSU guests have so little respect for basically the same LA Tech team that took it to them for 3 and a half quarters last year. 

I suspect that LSU's defensive game plan will be to force SE to beat them with his arm.  They will understand his ability to run which may expose him to getting tatooed-fortunes of war.  I do not see any glaring weaknesses on LSU's defense so I think the longhorns offense will find the tigers to be a right handful.  Just sayin'.  

The LSU offense may still have some line difficulties, but they committed few errors for having learned an entirely new system.  I was very surprised by that.  I think that 14 different players caught passes.  I think the LSU offensive game plan will be to confuse the UT defense which does not sound difficult given the way they have played defense of late....

Cheers.

Edited by White Tiger
spelling

I suspect that LSU's defensive game plan will be to force SE to beat them with his arm.  They will understand his ability to run which may expose him to getting tatooed-fortunes of war.  I do not say any glaring weaknesses on LSU's defense so I think the longhorns offense will find the tigers to be a right handful.  Just sayin'.  

That would be a logical approach, yes.

The LSU offense may still have some line difficulties, but they committed few errors for having learned an entirely new system.  I was very surprised by that.  I think that 14 different players caught passes.  I think the LSU offensive game plan will be to confuse the UT defense which does not sound difficult given the way they have played defense of late....

What is wrong with our defense? I mean yes we have struggled in garbage time protecting leads but if we get into that situation I will be happy to see UT give up yards. Did you watch many of our games?

Edited by Valmy77

MensaTom has all the game film he needs. LSU is in one, Alabama is in both. We see what you did at home against Bama, and we see what 0U did on the road against Alabama. LSU's "new" offense is considerably behind what 0U has had for years, and I think Texas can stop LSU at least a bit better than LSU can stop Texas. If Ehlinger doesn't get hurt, Texas wins, period. 

I suspect that LSU's defensive game plan will be to force SE to beat them with his arm.  They will understand his ability to run which may expose him to getting tatooed-fortunes of war.  I do not see any glaring weaknesses on LSU's defense so I think the longhorns offense will find the tigers to be a right handful.  Just sayin'.  

Cheers.

Of late we smashed the over-hyped UGAs and some other hotbed of intellect from the Swamp. If you are basing your opinion on what we have done of late, you should be shitting yourself.

This thread went downhill fast. 

More thoughts:

LSU played exclusively 11 personnel against Gaso.  Their hurry-up is paced to be anti-substitute - not quick-scripted. 

They ran two distinct RPO concepts early in the game, always in/around the redzone.

Later in the game, they ran a LOT of Vertical Option.  This is likely something that they wanted to work on with their WRs.

Running game is zone-based and seems untouched.

I believe the RB has a route or route option on every play, which is normal for a WCO spread. Against Gaso they barely ever stayed in to protect.

I believe it's less of a new offense more of adding some modern diversity to their playbook.  They aren't trying to be a stylized offense, just adding some much-needed tools to their toolkit.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Honest Question: Who has the advantage as it relates to preparation for this game?

Your defensive coordinators/analysts/consultants have spent hours combing over 2018 LSU film all spring and summer; scouting offensive alignments, personnel, tendencies, maybe they even looked at some Saints/Penn State film.

Now Texas' defensive coordinators/analysts/consultants have to prepare for a whole new offense in 5 days off of 1 game tape; get familiar with match-ups and personnel groupings and alignments, can't really trust the tendencies off of 1 game tape. On top of that Texas is still breaking in 8 new starters on defense; will your LBs and CBs trust their reads?

On the flip side:

LSU's 2-year book on Herman and Ehlinger is still intact.    

28 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

If the UT defense knows the LSU offense i.e. spread? why has it had such trouble stopping such offenses in the big xii?  I think your claims are laughable.  

There are bad takes and then there's this. Texas has spent the last two decades going up against spread offenses developed by some of the most innovative offensive coaches of this century. To say that LSU has developed such a confounding offense in one offseason that UT coaches are completely lost going up against it is dumb. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

LSU's OL IMO is still TBD. While they did great against GA Southern. It still remains to be seen if they can do it against better competition. 

Great? Y'all averaged 3.7 yards per carry on 33 carries against GA fucking Southern.  Even in the first half when you had the starters in, you still only averaged 3.9 yards per carry. You got a strange definition of great. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

To Tree, what is your point, exactly?

To Alien, is having a top defense in the big xii like winning a gold medal in the special olympics...lol.

Cheers to all my UT colleagues.  BTW my middle son graduated from UT last spring.  My best friend is a UT grad.  

Must take after his Momma. Is having the best offense in the SEC like being the tallest Pygmy?

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Great? Y'all averaged 3.7 yards per carry on 33 carries against GA fucking Southern.  Even in the first half when you had the starters in, you still only averaged 3.9 yards per carry. You got a strange definition of great. 

I call great 55-3 (42-3 at half) while going 7-7 in the redzone and giving up zero sacks. 

28 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I am more than confident that Texas' defensive coordinator/analysts/consultants/players are all more familiar with LSU's "new" offense than LSU's offense is.

This. LSU just discovered the wheel.

LSU showing up in Austin on Saturday ready to race for pink slips.

amishbuggyhotroad.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

To Tree, what is your point, exactly?

To Alien, is having a top defense in the big xii like winning a gold medal in the special olympics...lol.

Cheers to all my UT colleagues.  BTW my middle son graduated from UT last spring.  My best friend is a UT grad.  

Well, apparently it was good enough to completely stone wall the top rushing attack in the SEC last year. So I guess winning gold in the Special Olympics is good enough to top the mighty SEC. 

Edited by Dahobbs

3 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

So UT is now known as having salty defenses?  When did that happen?  Forget the UGA game last year.  That is fool's gold.  

I noticed that defense you played against the ag-tards, it was like they called up Saban and asked how deep they could shove it down your throat and for how long. That was some salty defense, boy you should be proud.

Edited by Alien Octopus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

I think the LSU offensive game plan will be to confuse the UT defense which does not sound difficult given the way they have played defense of late....

Cheers.

yeah, cheers motherfucker. you discovered the forward pass over the the offseason and all of a sudden think you're going to confuse a squad that, pretty much to a man, has been defending spread offenses its entire football life. you're about to find out what superior coaching looks like. 

god i can't wait for this fucking game. i just hope at least one or two of come back and tell us you were disinterested because it wasn't a conference game.

in conclusion: fuck you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Your hypothesis lacks sufficient background research and/or film. 

In order to construct a hypothesis you need background research or in this case game film. Only from there, can you form a hypothesis. The next step would be to test your hypothesis by doing an experiment (practice/game). Then analyze your data and draw a conclusion(s).

Actually, I've got plenty, it's just not LSU specific. But I have seen a ton of oversized OL recruited for power run schemes matched up against fast defenses which have been built based on the concept of misdirection and multiple assignments; throw in the necessity of making run/pass decisions post-snap (something the OL has to do every bit as much as the QB and skill position players) and it's a huge task to switch.

The only question is whether LSU's players are more mentally flexible than any of those I've witnessed going through this same struggle over the past 25-30 years of watching teams switch to this "new" scheme.

38 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

This board is far more difficult than tigerdroppings.  Wow.  Not sure how one can reply or do anything.  Is there a help board.  Let me suggest you go to tigerdroppings.com and copy what they have done.  

Anyway,, when did you write this because it is completely wrong.  Laughably so...lol.

Here's the help board:

https://texags.com/forums

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

I call great 55-3 (42-3 at half) while going 7-7 in the redzone and giving up zero sacks. 

Against Georgia fucking Southern. Seriously, you did slightly better than LA Monroe last year. Woo hoo. I'm glad to hear your o-line didn't completely shit itself against such fearsome competition. I'm not saying you haven't improved. I'm saying that all you can take from beating up on GA Southern is that your line isn't completely pathetic and has some issues in run blocking to work out. 

4 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

So UT is now known as having salty defenses?  When did that happen?  Forget the UGA game last year.  That is fool's gold.  

Watch a little of regular season OU vs Texas.... don't fool yourself bro, Longhorns can play some defense and this is coming from a Sooner fan.

• Like 3

Alien, vulgarity does not become you or your august school.  It bespeaks one who has no argument.  I am sure you can do better.  Look, LSU looked more focused in the GASO game than I can recall them being in many years.  Don't know if they can repeat that, but if so, I think they handle the longhorns with little difficulty.  

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, White Tiger said:

Yeah, let’s forget the game in which the Texas defense essentially shut down the stereotypical SEC offense. Just forget that one.

LSUs defense is built to challenge SEC offenses. How else could we have gotten the game of the century!? That 9-6 game between Bama and LSU was such a defensive orgasm. Run behind the center, run behind tackle, quick out to the TE (incomplete), punt. 

LSU hasn’t had to defend a true power spread like Texas in a long time (if ever). Should be fun.

6 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

I wish I could use this board to reply to specific individuals.  Sorry and bear with me.  Is there a help area for poor brainless LSU partisans?  

Thanks.

Not sure about help area - this forum works the same as most of them do, so no help really needed.

As far as replying to specific posters - at the bottom of the box the referenced post is in, there is a button labeled "QUOTE". Give it a shot.

Dear pearl, if you think that UGA had its head right with ball for that game, good luck to you.  Looking forward to coming back here Saturday after the game win or lose.

Go back and read the UGa hype before the Sugar Bowl. Having barely lost to Bama and then being denied their rightful place in the Final Four by ND apologists, they were going to show us all what's what, and kick the living shit out of MensaTom and his Unworthies.

Then, after the game, they didn't really want to be there...

Okay. Cool. Hook'em.

Dear pearl, if you think that UGA had its head right with ball for that game, good luck to you.  Looking forward to coming back here Saturday after the game win or lose.

So let me get this straight...since UGA didn’t want to be there, it doesn’t count. Weak shit. 

Texas sees these offenses a lot. It’s not really anything new. The best offensive coaches are in the big 12. 

17 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

Well if we are barred from using results on the field because they don't matter then I guess we have nothing more to discuss. If we win will that also be fools gold? Does it only matter when you say so?

If your reputation was showing up to play ours, you might indeed have an advantage. But it will be your team showing up to play ours. We will see how it goes. Good luck, I hope you enjoy the game.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Not sure about help area - this forum works the same as most of them do, so no help really needed.

As far as replying to specific posters - at the bottom of the box the referenced post is in, there is a button labeled "QUOTE". Give it a shot.

Thank you.  Again, no offense to this board, but Tigerdroppings is worth emulating...

• Fuck You 7

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Against Georgia fucking Southern. Seriously, you did slightly better than LA Monroe last year. Woo hoo. I'm glad to hear your o-line didn't completely shit itself against such fearsome competition. I'm not saying you haven't improved. I'm saying that all you can take from beating up on GA Southern is that your line isn't completely pathetic and has some issues in run blocking to work out. 

They can take the win , just like every SEC team who schedules dogshit teams to fluff up their record, because they have Battered Bama Syndrome. And to clarify, what I mean by battered is that Saban batters his nuts they go so deep in em.

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

So let me get this straight...since UGA didn’t want to be there, it doesn’t count. Weak shit. 

Texas sees these offenses a lot. It’s not really anything new. The best offensive coaches are in the big 12. 

Be fair, some of them went off to Phoenix...