My LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Defense

sushihorn

Rush Defense

In run defense LSU presents a variety of 4 and 5 man fronts from their 3 DL base.  It’s a 1-gap scheme with the partial exception of the NT when he’s playing a 0-technique.  The DL are still trying to keep the LBs clean but they do so by attacking a gap to try and force a double team instead of trying to control the blockers at the LOS a la Georgia.  They are clearly succeeding most of the time since their top 2 tacklers and 3 of the top 4 are LBs.  The advantages are LSU is more likely to screw up the opponent’s blocking scheme and it’s easier to convert gap penetration against the run into a pass rush.  The downside is that same penetration can create running lanes.

Texas should not attempt to run into a loaded box against this defensive front.  Even with improved OL play, the Horns are likely going to have to pass to set up the run in this game.  With a 6 man box against 11 personnel Sam must be a threat from the first snap in order to get an extra blocker at the point of attack.  If the passing game and RPO threat can pull a defender out of the box, then the inside zone, power / counter staples can be more effective.  I expect Texas to have some success against this front.  It will only be consistent success if the passing threat can pull an extra defender into coverage.  Veer and Shoot type sets would really help to clarify the defense against the looks Aranda runs.

How to Attack Them?

There are 2 significant and interrelated weaknesses created by this aggressive defensive scheme.  First is the tendency to over pursue the play, leaving them vulnerable to misdirection.  Anybody who’s been watching Texas Football knows that Tom Herman loves to use a defense’s aggressive tendencies against them.  The second weakness is that they have difficulty dealing with mobile QBs.  MSU’s Fitzgerald (22 carries for 140 yards), Florida’s Franks (7-42) and UCF’s backup Mack (7-45) ran very effectively against LSU despite being very weak passers.  Ta’amu from Ole Miss and aggy’s Mond were both good for 4 YPC.  Tua didn’t run much against them but he did serious damage when he took off.  You have to feel good about Sam’s prospects against that defense.

The key weakness in coverage is one common to all man-based schemes.  You can take the CBs out of the play by running the outside receivers either downfield with vertical routes or inside on dig or crossing routes.  This creates a coverage void in the flats and intermediate sideline area.  In zone the LBs have to cover everything outside the hash marks from behind the LOS up to safety depth.  This allowed simple end around and screen plays to go for big yardage quite a few times last year.  Beck and Herman can also mess with their matchup by lining up or motioning a TE or RB as the outside man.  That will force LSU to leave a NB or LB defending the Z or X.  Alternatively they can flip their CBs inside but that shows man coverage all the way.  That is where the predictability of having the CBs locked on in man outside and LBs always covering the flats can hurt them.

My main concern is that LSU creates turnovers in the passing game though a combination of aggressive pass rush and high quality coverage in a solid scheme.  The 17 INT total is padded somewhat by 4 picks against the truly terrible passer Nick Fitzgerald; nevertheless having at least one in 11 of their 13 games is an impressive feat.   Despite losing their best cover corner, players responsible for 12 of those 17 picks return.  Sam has gotten really good at taking care of the football so I’m not concerned that he will give it away.  But LSU’s secondary is good enough to take one away if Sam isn’t careful.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

curious to know the name of that leading pass rusher who’s not returning that you mentioned is given that Delpit and Divinity led in sacks, and we get Chaisson back from missing the entire season sans Miami.

I was looking at the combined sacks and TFLs as an indicator of ability to create penetration and pressure.  You'll note that's a major theme of this write up.  Extra credit for QB hurries.

Edited by sushihorn

I was looking at the combined sacks and TFLs as an indicator of ability to create penetration and pressure.  You'll note that's a major theme of this write up.  Extra credit for QB hurries.

no...what you said was “pass rusher”...not TFL plus sacks. that explanation makes zero sense at all even in light of your goal post shifting.

and you didn’t answer my question: who is this leading “pass rusher” we lost?

and Greedy wasn’t our best CB last year...Fulton was.

Aron Bloch
@PFF_Aaron
The combined stat line for #LSU CB Kristian Fulton when targeted in coverage last year vs the following WRs:

Jerry Jeudy [bama]
Henry Ruggs [bama]
Terry Godwin [uGA]
Mecole Hardman [uGA]
Van Jefferson [Florida]
Darius Slayton [Auburn]

9 Targets
1 Reception
5 Yards

he graded out higher than Greedy last season and has highest grade for all returning CBs in the SEC.

55 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

no...what you said was “pass rusher”...not TFL plus sacks. that explanation makes zero sense at all even in light of your goal post shifting.

Devin White led LSU in QB hurries.  He had more passes batted down than any non-DB so he was in the QBs face a lot.  He also had 3 sacks on a team where no one had more than 5.

The fact that he also led in TFLs tells me he was constantly creating havoc in the backfield.

• Like 2

Just now, sushihorn said:

Devin White led LSU in QB hurries.  He had more passes batted down than any non-DB so he was in the QBs face a lot.  He also had 3 sacks on a team where no one had more than 5.

The fact that he also led in TFLs tells me he was constantly creating havoc in the backfield.

I'm pretty sure he was also the main guy around the LOS that teams had to gameplan for. 

4 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

and Greedy wasn’t our best CB last year...Fulton was.

he graded out higher than Greedy last season and has highest grade for all returning CBs in the SEC.

I don't have access to PFF.  Was there a large difference?  If not I'm going with the 2 time All-SEC and Consensus All-American CB vs the guy who is pre-season 2nd Team All-SEC.

• Like 2

We're riding sky high (and with good reason) off the Sugar Bowl win over UGA. There's a strong temptation, then, to eye LSU as just a "not quite as good as Georgia, plus we're at home" team.

The parallels are certainly there, however its worth remembering that Texas took UGA out of its comfort zone early with turnover and a knee-down punt that set up short fields. The game tape indicates that Texas was at least UGA's equal throughout the game player v player, but the early miscues tore a lot of Georgia's playbook out.

I mention that because of exactly what sushi brought us. Ball security is a must. I'm gruntled that we have an elder leader in Sam who will be able to take the emotion out of the game and play calmly. Early points and a hot start might be hard to come by, but a temptation to press for the spectacular could put us in UGA's position. While LSU's offense consists of whatever they think about at the moment, their defense is the real deal. Schemes are one thing, but the talent and speed available are matched by very few. LSU is comfortable matching their athletes against yours on defense.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Dude- this is a lot of indignation over a poster taking his own time to write up his impressions of your favorite college team’s defense for our mutual entertainment.

Maybe you need a break. Take a walk. Drink some iced tea. 

• Like 1

Dude- this is a lot of indignation over a poster taking his own time to write up his impressions of your favorite college team’s defense for our mutual entertainment.

it’s not indignation, it’s because it’s wrong. it’s biased, a puff piece that’s selling snake oil.

all i’m asking for is accuracy. DW is certainly a loss, but not because he was our “leading pass rusher.”

thing is, we’re going to have a WAY better pass rush this year because of the pieces that we get back plus return, and because we’ll have a a more experienced, better secondary.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Of course he also truncated his paraphrase to remove the reference to QB Hurries.  That's kinda dishonest.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I went back and looked at the numbers in detail once the pattern became apparent.  In competitive games last year, the LSU defense typically saw a significant down tick in performance around the 45-50 snaps defended mark.  The 70 snaps I cited earlier simply gave enough time after that inflection point to have a large impact on the final results.  But it was actually part of a larger pattern on further examination.

Miami: In their first 50 offensive plays, the Canes had 212 yards (4.2 yards per play) and 3 points.  In their last 19, they got 130 yards (6.9 YPP) and 2 TDs.

Florida: First 52 snaps went for 270 yds (5.2 YPP) and 14 points.  Last 18 snaps – 105 yds (5.8 YPP) and 14 points.  You can see the run defense falter late.  2nd half rush sequence: 3, 1, 2, 6, 2, 0, 10, 6, 9, (-1), 17, 12, 2(TD).  After that UF is trying to kill the clock with a lead: 4, 5, 5, 1, 8, 3, (-1).  LSU definitely struggled stopping the run when they needed to late and the 2 first downs on Florida's final drive were killers.

Georgia:  First 47 plays = 156 yds (3.2 YPP) and 3 points .  Their last 18 snaps yielded 166 yds (9.2 YPP) and 2 TDs.  Good win for LSU but probably the biggest example of hitting the wall at 50 snaps.

Bama: The first 47 plays gained 323 yards (6.9 YPP) and 16 points.  Their last 31 plays generated 253 yards (8.2 YPP) and 2 TDs.

MSU: First 50 snaps good for 190 yds (3.8 YPP) and 3 points.  Last 11 yielded 70 yds (6.4 YPP) and no points.

Arkansas:  Shouldn’t have been competitive but it was.  Arky’s first 50 plays gained 145 yds (2.9 YPP) and 3 points.  The last 8 plays resulted in 71 yards (8.9 YPP) and 2 TDs (doesn’t this number sound familiar?)

aggy: First 52 = 266 yds (5.1 YPP) and 24 points.  Last 55 plays = 270 yds (4.9 YPP), 6 TDs and 2 FG.  FGs are almost automatic in OT but LSU still had 7 blown chances to make a game winning stop on TD drives late.  That’s a huge contrast to forcing 3 and out 5 times earlier.

UCF:  First 48 = 192 yds (4.0 YPP).  Last 13 plays = 58 yds (4.5 YPP), 1 TD.  The variance was small in this game.  UCF should have been dead in the water with a non-passing QB once they got down late.  The fatigue shows up more clearly in the 2nd half run sequence: 7, 1, 3, 2, (-5), 5, 2, 8, 12, 11, 22, 2(TD).  Bold denotes play count 50+

There is a pretty clear trend showing LSU’s defensive performance dropping off late in games – specifically after approximately 50 snaps.  I suspect that this relates mostly to fatigue of their very heavy DL since the run defense was impacted significantly.  It happened way too many times to be a coincidence.  This is why I think it's kinda crazy for LSU to invite inflated play counts by going HUNH.

Using no huddle and quick throws is totally rational.  There is no need to use tempo as the standard on offense.  Using it selectively or threatening to do so prevents substitution.  Using it constantly and targeting 75-80 snaps puts the defense in the 50+ danger zone for 35-40% of the game instead of 15-20% like most games last year.  Like I said earlier I'm not sure they've really thought through all the implications of changing the offense. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

I went back and looked at the numbers in detail once the pattern became apparent.  In competitive games last year, the LSU defense typically saw a significant down tick in performance around the 45-50 snaps defended mark.  The 70 snaps I cited earlier simply gave enough time after that inflection point to have a large impact on the final results.  But it was actually part of a larger pattern on further examination.

Miami: In their first 50 offensive plays, the Canes had 212 yards (4.2 yards per play) and 3 points.  In their last 19, they got 130 yards (6.9 YPP) and 2 TDs.

Florida: First 52 snaps went for 270 yds (5.2 YPP) and 14 points.  Last 18 snaps – 105 yds (5.8 YPP) and 14 points.  You can see the run defense falter late.  2nd half rush sequence: 3, 1, 2, 6, 2, 0, 10, 6, 9, (-1), 17, 12, 2(TD).  After that UF is trying to kill the clock with a lead: 4, 5, 5, 1, 8, 3, (-1).  LSU definitely struggled stopping the run when they needed to late and the 2 first downs on Florida's final drive were killers.

Georgia:  First 47 plays = 156 yds (3.2 YPP) and 3 points .  Their last 18 snaps yielded 166 yds (9.2 YPP) and 2 TDs.  Good win for LSU but probably the biggest example of hitting the wall at 50 snaps.

Bama: The first 47 plays gained 323 yards (6.9 YPP) and 16 points.  Their last 31 plays generated 253 yards (8.2 YPP) and 2 TDs.

MSU: First 50 snaps good for 190 yds (3.8 YPP) and 3 points.  Last 11 yielded 70 yds (6.4 YPP) and no points.

Arkansas:  Shouldn’t have been competitive but it was.  Arky’s first 50 plays gained 145 yds (2.9 YPP) and 3 points.  The last 8 plays resulted in 71 yards (8.9 YPP) and 2 TDs (doesn’t this number sound familiar?)

aggy: First 52 = 266 yds (5.1 YPP) and 24 points.  Last 55 plays = 270 yds (4.9 YPP), 6 TDs and 2 FG.  FGs are almost automatic in OT but LSU still had 7 blown chances to make a game winning stop on TD drives late.  That’s a huge contrast to forcing 3 and out 5 times earlier.

UCF:  First 48 = 192 yds (4.0 YPP).  Last 13 plays = 58 yds (4.5 YPP), 1 TD.  The variance was small in this game.  UCF should have been dead in the water with a non-passing QB once they got down late.  The fatigue shows up more clearly in the 2nd half run sequence: 7, 1, 3, 2, (-5), 5, 2, 8, 12, 11, 22, 2(TD).  Bold denotes play count 50+

There is a pretty clear trend showing LSU’s defensive performance dropping off late in games – specifically after approximately 50 snaps.  I suspect that this relates mostly to fatigue of their very heavy DL since the run defense was impacted significantly.  It happened way too many times to be a coincidence.  This is why I think it's kinda crazy for LSU to invite inflated play counts by going HUNH.

Using no huddle and quick throws is totally rational.  There is no need to use tempo as the standard on offense.  Using it selectively or threatening to do so prevents substitution.  Using it constantly and targeting 75-80 snaps puts the defense in the 50+ danger zone for 35-40% of the game instead of 15-20% like most games last year.  Like I said earlier I'm not sure they've really thought through all the implications of changing the offense. 

Yeah. The HUNH’s effect on the defense is usually overlooked by coaching staff’s when it’s first implemented (or sometimes forever). I’m not convinced LSU will try to run tempo like they did last week, but if they do, their D could be in trouble. 

Herman’s selective use of tempo is excellent and really helps save the defense. If LSU is running tempo, while we run no huddle (so their DL can’t sub) but average tempo, the TOP could get really out of whack and cause some serious problems for LSU.

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Kyrie mentioning Chaisson lol. Dude has 37 career tackles, but yeah, bro, he's awesome. A total different maker. 

He is awesome and a difference maker. He had multiple TFLs, a sack, and might’ve killed a GA Southern RB on a hit that forced a fumble recovered by LSU in the game last week.

You should really stop talking about stuff you have no clue about. Your posts about this game have been on par with the flood of LSU posters we’ve experienced this week. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 8/2/2019 at 10:49 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

it’s not indignation, it’s because it’s wrong. it’s biased, a puff piece that’s selling snake oil.

all i’m asking for is accuracy. DW is certainly a loss, but not because he was our “leading pass rusher.”

thing is, we’re going to have a WAY better pass rush this year because of the pieces that we get back plus return, and because we’ll have a a more experienced, better secondary.

No fucking shit. It’s a longhorn fan message board. Quit being a cunt and go to an LSU board if you want user generated content slanted in your favor

He is awesome and a difference maker. He had multiple TFLs, a sack, and might’ve killed a GA Southern RB on a hit that forced a fumble recovered by LSU in the game last week.
You should really stop talking about stuff you have no clue about. Your posts about this game have been on par with the flood of LSU posters we’ve experienced this week. 

That sounds amazing especially against The Georgia [checks notes] Southern University. Oh.

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Half of his career sacks and tackles for loss are against Chattanooga. I didnt notice him in the 2017 game against Bama, which he didnt play in. He’s a prospect.

11 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He is a physical specimen with all the tools to be great but he is still an unproven commodity with 3 sacks in 14 games in his career.

Lulz. Y’all are looking at career stats because you haven’t seen him play. A guy can be a difference maker before he has a season’s worth of stats to back it up. 

That’s like saying Ossai isn’t a difference maker because he only has 1 sack in 8 games. Ossai is a stud. It’s obvious when you watch him play. Same goes for Chaisson.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Y’all are looking at career stats because you haven’t seen him play. A guy can be a difference maker before he has a season’s worth of stats to back it up. 

That’s like saying Ossai isn’t a difference maker because he only has 1 sack in 8 games. Ossai is a stud. It’s obvious when you watch him play. Same goes for Chaisson.

I never said he wasn't a stud but I wouldn't expect him to have his breakout game against Texas either especially if he is lined up over Cosmi. LSU fans chirping about the Dline going to get pressure without blitzing yet your best pass rusher is an outside linebacker, which is it? Are you moving him to D-line? 

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I never said he wasn't a stud but I wouldn't expect him to have his breakout game against Texas either especially if he is lined up over Cosmi. LSU fans chirping about the Dline going to get pressure without blitzing yet your best pass rusher is an outside linebacker, which is it? Are you moving him to D-line? 

What are you talking about? They run the same defense as us. Chaisson is the B-backer with a 3 man front. He rushes regularly, whether he’s technically DL or not is immaterial. Ossai is our best rusher and he plays the same spot.

And Chaisson’s not going to be lined up over Cosmi regularly. He’ll usually be lined up over the RT, which will likely be Okafor if Shack can’t go. Okafor will need help all game. If we don’t help him, Chaisson will have a huge game. Any player you have to account for like that is a difference maker. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What are you talking about? They run the same defense as us. Chaisson is the B-backer with a 3 man front. He rushes regularly, whether he’s technically DL or not is immaterial. Ossai is our best rusher and he plays the same spot.

And Chaisson’s not going to be lined up over Cosmi regularly. He’ll usually be lined up over the RT, which will likely be Okafor if Shack can’t go. Okafor will need help all game. If we don’t help him, Chaisson will have a huge game. Any player you have to account for like that is a difference maker. 

Shack plays center BTW, not right tackle, never played tackle, started at center as a Freshman. Kerstetter would be who you are talking about who has been starting and or significant playing time since he was a freshman. He is a Jr. He didn't start last year because Cosmi was better and a Freshman All American. Cosmi BTW will be by far the best offensive lineman on the field Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Shack plays center BTW, not right tackle, never played tackle, started at center as a Freshman. Kerstetter would be who you are talking about who has been starting and or significant playing time since he was a freshman. He is a Jr. He didn't start last year because Cosmi was better and a Freshman All American. Cosmi BTW will be by far the best offensive lineman on the field Saturday.

Thanks for telling me a bunch of stuff I already know. You should Try reading my post again. I never said Shack plays tackle.

There’s been questions about Shack’s health and if he can play. If he can’t, then Kerstetter will move to C and Okafor will be RT. Either Okafor or Kerstetter will need help with Chaisson.

25 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Herman already said Shack will play.

Yes, but let's hope he is at full health to do so and isn't having to play through pain to get it done, else he might not make it through the whole game. He'll be pushing against a couple of oxen (Shelvin at 346 lbs and Ika at 354 lbs).

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sure, bro. He's "awesome" because he was highly ranked, yet has been injured, had one tackle, 1.5 TFL, but yeah, he's all world. 

He may turn out to be amazing, but right now he's all hype. Just like Emery and his 3.3 ypc 

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Sure, bro. He's "awesome" because he was highly ranked, yet has been injured, had one tackle, 1.5 TFL, but yeah, he's all world. 

He may turn out to be amazing, but right now he's all hype. Just like Emery and his 3.3 ypc 

Chaisson has a few skins on the wall.  Emery and the freshman CB are still all potential.  Every Longhorn should remember what DKR said about potential.

Just now, sushihorn said:

Chaisson has a few skins on the wall.  Emery and the freshman CB are still all potential.  Every Longhorn should remember what DKR said about potential.

I agree, he's all potential. I liked him and wished he signed with us, but so far he's made his plays living off FCS and Georgia State. If he can get passed Cosmi, I'll hype that dude win or loss. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I agree, he's all potential. I liked him and wished he signed with us, but so far he's made his plays living off FCS and Georgia State. If he can get passed Cosmi, I'll hype that dude win or loss. 

That’s the opposite of what sushihorn said. lol.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. He was arguably LSU’s best defensive player against Miami last year before tearing his ACL. He had 2 TFLs and a sack in that game. He’s shown plenty for someone who’s actually watched him play to know he’s a difference maker. 

And like I pointed out above, he’s not going to be lining up against Cosmi most of the game.

20 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Yes, but let's hope he is at full health to do so and isn't having to play through pain to get it done, else he might not make it through the whole game. He'll be pushing against a couple of oxen (Shelvin at 346 lbs and Ika at 354 lbs).

Yeah I'm anxious to see those fat fucks perform when it's 120 degrees on the field. Liable to be 320 after the game.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s the opposite of what sushihorn said. lol.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. He was arguably LSU’s best defensive player against Miami last year before tearing his ACL. He had 2 TFLs and a sack in that game. He’s shown plenty for someone who’s actually watched him play to know he’s a difference maker. 

And like I pointed out above, he’s not going to be lining up against Cosmi most of the game.

Did you really just say Miami? A team that went 7-6? Wow. You're really on it today. Maybe after the game you can ask Chaisson for an autograph with his dick on your lips. 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:17 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

Well maybe you should give us your definition of leading “pass rusher” besides stats. Is it the SEC favorite, the eyeball test?