Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Ok.  So coach job security is not a thing in women's soccer recruiting like it is in football?

I mean, you don’t give her a 5 year extension but maybe 3? Idk, I’m not The Boss at Bellmont. She’s been here so long and so little to show for it until now 

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Ok.  So coach job security is not a thing in women's soccer recruiting like it is in football?

I don't think it matters too much. Kelly just brought in a legit class on her final year of the contract. 

Byars, Missimo, and Maalouf next year could be absolutely insane.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, you don’t give her a 5 year extension but maybe 3? Idk, I’m not The Boss at Bellmont. She’s been here so long and so little to show for it until now 

2 or 3 year contract with big incentives. 

I don't really buy the "recruiting" argument when Kelly just brought in a top 15 class on her final year of the contract. Lack of job security obviously didn't have that much of an impact on recruiting. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

2 or 3 year contract with big incentives. 

I don't really buy the "recruiting" argument when Kelly just brought in a top 15 class on her final year of the contract. Lack of job security obviously didn't have that much of an impact on recruiting. 

Actually think it might have been a top 10 class but yeah, that’s didn’t hamstring her ability to recruit 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actually think it might have been a top 10 class but yeah, that’s didn’t hamstring her ability to recruit 

I don't think that includes Maalouf either since she's an international player. Top Drawer doesn't even include her. She's the best player in the class. 

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/women/texas/clgid-208/tab-commitments#sectionblock

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Edit: they waived off the goal for reasons I don’t understand, but it keeps Texas in the game. Still 1-0 Wisconsin 

After going back and reviewing the game, the refs waived off this 2nd goal because Wisconsin was called for off-sides…Wisc didn’t like the call…..obviously.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Lexi’s game winner was great. Hard to tell if she baited the keeper into going for the ball or the keeper decided to try to aggressively get a foot on it; but she gambled and Lexi had an open net

Probably guessing 1 on 1 against Lexi is a loser for any keeper 

Oh, she baited her alright. Quick jab step to the right with the right foot before taking her first touch to go left. Her and Trinity are both very skilled with the small faints to give them that extra advantage. Both played loads of futsal growing up against the boys, as did Jaedyn Shaw. They all had to learn those little nuances to give them just a little bit of extra time to shoot, pass, dribble, etc.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

In the bottom half of our bracket, unbeaten 6-seed Memphis just took out 3-seed Notre Dame, and awaits the winner of Pitt and Arkansas.  Aggie and FSU are scoreless at the 25 minute mark. 

Live updates of the entire bracket:  https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-women/d1/2023

Second 6 seed to win - St Louis took down Georgetown. North Carolina did not succumb to the 3 seed curse 

11 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

In the bottom half of our bracket, unbeaten 6-seed Memphis just took out 3-seed Notre Dame, and awaits the winner of Pitt and Arkansas.  Aggie and FSU are scoreless at the 25 minute mark. 

Live updates of the entire bracket:  https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-women/d1/2023

Memphis is actually 19-1, not unbeaten.  I misread their record.  

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

2 seed Arkansas just lost to Pitt. 

A path to the College Cup (Final 4) is now right there if Texas can beat FSU. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas is a 5 seed, Memphis is a 6 seed, and Pittsburgh is a 7 seed.

If we beat FSU, I think we would get the Elite 8 game in Austin. 

Correct 

The bracket is broken down into four quadrants, with seeds 1-8 in each quadrant hosting first-round games. Second- and third-round games will be played at eight campus sites of the highest seed remaining, and quarterfinals played at the highest seeded team's home stadium before the final four teams reach the College Cup.

Tech-UNC will be a good Sweet 16 matchup. Tech escaped Princeton on PKs 4-3. Both teams made their first 3, both teams failed their fourth, Princeton failed their fifth and Tech made theirs. Drama

Reminder that OT is back for the tournament, so 2 OT periods before PKs in a tied contest 

I still don't think Kelly is the right person to make this program a top 10 team but hard to see Del Conte having much choice here with an extension. 

In the last 2 years Kelly has won a Big 12 regular season title, a Big 12 tournament title, made the 2nd and 3rd round. It would take some serious balls to fire a coach who accomplished that in the last 2 years. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

The issue is next year the roster will be really good if everyone returns. 

They're gonna be a Sweet 16 or fringe elite 8 caliber team again. That may be Kelly's ceiling with a very good roster but it's probably gonna take another 2 years for the shit to hit the fan. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

The big thing with Kelly is it's obvious she's not a good coach. She's riding the coattails of that extremely talented FR class who keeps maturing each year. 

That class in the last 3 years L in 1st round, L in 2nd round (round of 32), and L in 3rd round (round of 16). They're built to be an elite 8 type team next year if everyone returns but it has nothing to do with Kelly's coaching ability. 

• Like 1

Definitely sounds like Kelly is going to get some type of extension based on Del Conte's most recent "40 Acres Insider" release. 

https://texassports.com/news/2023/11/21/forty-acres-insider-november-21.aspx

"And to think, with Lexi, Trinity Byars and Mia Justus all having eligibility remaining, EmJ Cox returning from injury, AND an incoming top-10 recruiting class, momentum in our Soccer program is at an all-time high as we transition into the SEC in 2024."

Lexi is one of the 15 semi-finalists for the Hermann Trophy.  The Final 3 will be announced next Wednesday. 

I don't see how she doesn't win it.  The only knock is that we didn't advance past the Sweet 16.

2 Tech players and 2 BYU players join Lexi as Big 12 reps. Big 12 had 1/3 of the semi-finalists.