Tequila y Mezcal

NoRagrets

Someone talk me down. I'm in Utrecht, Netherlands for a few weeks and went walking around to find some shops that my family will need to know where they are at. Stopped at a bottle shop and they had Fortaleza Reposado for $90. I know that is a jump in price as the states.....if you can find it. 

Also, very small selection of Mezcal but they have it

20230627_132215.jpg

Help me @GreenspointTexas, you are my only hope

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

14 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I can't find Fortaleza Reposado for anything less than $175 out here, which is criminal because I think it lists for something like $60.  Everybody is out of it as well as the blanco still strength.  So that price in Amsterdam is well under market so far as I know.

That's what I really wanted to hear. Thanks for enabling me and my habit. Now the real conundrum is that they have 2 bottles..... 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Anyone interested in 50 gallons of various mezcals? A good friend of mine is selling 30-40 various uncertified distillates for litera pennies on the dollar. Street value is around $13,000 - $15,00 but he selling it all for $1000. He got long covid last year and it fucked up his liver and inflammatory response so bad that he cant drink a drop anymore

I already have almost 400 bottles of mezcal, so no way I could buy it all/drink it all myself

On 6/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Someone talk me down. I'm in Utrecht, Netherlands for a few weeks and went walking around to find some shops that my family will need to know where they are at. Stopped at a bottle shop and they had Fortaleza Reposado for $90. I know that is a jump in price as the states.....if you can find it. 

Also, very small selection of Mezcal but they have it

20230627_132215.jpg

Help me @GreenspointTexas, you are my only hope

I love me some tequila and mezcal... a lot.  That's all I buy.  But if I was in Utrecht I would be picking out some Jenever.  And I'm a few months late... 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

I love me some tequila and mezcal... a lot.  That's all I buy.  But if I was in Utrecht I would be picking out some Jenever.  And I'm a few months late... 

No worries, I picked that up too and drank a fair amount of it while I was there. I'm an equal opportunity drinker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Thread bump. I’ve been getting into tequila a lot lately and hoping to start some more discussion here. 

IMG_6602.thumb.jpeg.0589afd8bd7d945072a27d6d5673b9b1.jpeg

I blind tasted these 4 blancos from my bar last night. I ranked them like this:

1. Ocho
  2. Casamigos
  3. Cimarron
  4. 1940

Biggest surprise to me was Casamigos, because snobs seem to really look down their nose at it. I could definitely taste some of the sweetness people complain about, but to me it also had the most complex and interesting aroma of the 4.

Also surprised about the 1940 coming in last. I’ve been jamming on both their blanco and reposado for a while now.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Matuka said:

I always assumed the casamigos was sugar enhanced somehow.  Is that not true?

Supposedly, yeah. Reading up about tequila on the internet, additives seem to be a very hot topic, with Casamigos frequently mentioned as a major “offender”. 

I’d say for me personally, I’m just starting to figure out what I really like after a lifetime of just drinking whatever major name brand I happened to grab at the store. My palate is nowhere near sophisticated enough to pick out whether or not a tequila has additives. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I used to really enjoy Casamigos Reposado. And I don’t begrudge anyone who likes it, drink what you like. But as as soon as I started drinking good additive-free stuff it ruined Casamigos and all the other vanilla-flavored tequilas for me.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Know nothing about this but while searching for something else at Twin Liquors,  the employee and I were chatting about mezcal and he brought this to my attention.  Wasn't planning on getting mezcal on my trip but it was only ~$30. Probably the best mezcal I've had at this price point,  very sippable. 

@GreenspointTexasyou know anything about this?

20240325_171112.jpg

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Know nothing about this but while searching for something else at Twin Liquors,  the employee and I were chatting about mezcal and he brought this to my attention.  Wasn't planning on getting mezcal on my trip but it was only ~$30. Probably the best mezcal I've had at this price point,  very sippable. 

20240325_171112.jpg

Show us a pic of the other side of the bottle

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

20240325_171112.jpg

I personally dont care for Verde, but I know a lot of bars that use it as a mixer. Also, at $30, its hard to get much else. 

if you like it, drink it

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I personally dont care for Verde, but I know a lot of bars that use it as a mixer. Also, at $30, its hard to get much else. 

if you like it, drink it

That was my rationale for getting it: for 30 dollars,  if I don't like it,  I'll use it for cocktails.  Better than the 400 conejos I typically use for cocktails,  not as good as the Rosaluna which is a touch more in cost.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2c76c5aead6e38ea313560e9cc24c643.jpg

For $40 this isn’t bad. I know less than fuck all about tequila so I’ll hang up and listen, but it doesn’t taste like it has additives and I drank half a bottle and woke up the next morning before my alarm and felt like a million bucks. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

400 Conejos Oaxaca Mezcal was worth the pickup. Dos Hombres and Del Maguey were rather medicinal/flat out nasty tasting. Conejos was dangerously smooth with the right amount of smokiness.

Abandonado Anejo is terrible. I’ve been a fan of their reposado but this Anejo has been sweetened so much it’s only worthy of being used in a margarita. Absolutely undrinkable neat. Toro De Lida blows it out of the water in my very unprofessional and uninformed opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

On my third pour of Lalo this evening. So good with just ice and lime. Costco had for $42.

IMG_6933.thumb.jpeg.3b1d4621ece193f33eafa17bbda3474a.jpeg

Switching it up now. God damn this is good stuff. 

One of the best readily available repos out there. I dig.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Is there an approachable mezcal for tequila fans? I had the Casamigos (I know) at a neighbor’s the other night and it was dreadful. Tried Dos Hombres and hated it. I feel like I’ve had one (Del Maguey maybe?) that I thought wasn’t terrible. 

I don’t like peaty whisky either so maybe it’s just not for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Is there an approachable mezcal for tequila fans? I had the Casamigos (I know) at a neighbor’s the other night and it was dreadful. Tried Dos Hombres and hated it. I feel like I’ve had one (Del Maguey maybe?) that I thought wasn’t terrible. 

I don’t claim to be an expert on mezcal, but I’ve been to Oaxaca, tried a a few varieties, did a distillery tour and partook of 2-4 varieties the following year in CDMX. 

You might try Ilegal Joven.  It’s not aged so taste profile is a good segue from tequila into mezcal.  Stick with the espadín variety of agave and the lightly aged styles (Jovens) until you season your palate for a more complex variety.

image.png.05d54233ac032d2e9997b476eec97993.png

I agree with @Herbie Hancock that Del Maguey can be a little medicinal.  I also agree with @texasdago that a post meal mezcal is awesome, and the more floral/herbal (medicinal) varieties are well suited in this situation IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

All mezcals are smoky. If you don't like smoky, mezcal is a waste of money. I don't like smoky, but I keep a bottle of mezcal in the bar for guests.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Almost all of the best mezcals dont have a smokey taste

Such as? I've had mezcal all over Mexico, including several distillery visits in Oaxaca. I have yet to find one that isn't smoky.

That's literally the difference between tequila and mezcal....the smoky flavor imparted from fire roasting the pina hearts.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Matuka said:

I don’t claim to be an expert on mezcal, but I’ve been to Oaxaca, tried a a few varieties, did a distillery tour and partook of 2-4 varieties the following year in CDMX. 

You might try Ilegal Joven.  It’s not aged so taste profile is a good segue from tequila into mezcal.  Stick with the espadín variety of agave and the lightly aged styles (Jovens) until you season your palate for a more complex variety.

image.png.05d54233ac032d2e9997b476eec97993.png

I agree with @Herbie Hancock that Del Maguey can be a little medicinal.  I also agree with @texasdago that a post meal mezcal is awesome, and the more floral/herbal (medicinal) varieties are well suited in this situation IMO.

Ilegal Joven is literally the only bottle of mezcal I've ever purchased.  It's definitely smoky, but because I have never had any other mezcal, I cannot say whether it is more or less smoky than most other brands.   

I don't dislike the Ilegal, but I have to be in a mood for something smoky in order to drink it.    

10 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Such as? I've had mezcal all over Mexico, including several distillery visits in Oaxaca. I have yet to find one that isn't smoky.

That's literally the difference between tequila and mezcal....the smoky flavor imparted from fire roasting the pina hearts.

Real minero, lalocura, most producers for Neta, most of the producers for Pal Alma, Vago’s producers haver very little smoke, El Jolgorio has almost no smoke, etc

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Got a recommendation from that brand?  My local place often has several types of Vago in stock, but I have no clue which one offers the most bang for the buck.

If you see any of Aquilinos stuff (he died about 3 years back), grab it. Otherwise the tobala by Joel and anything from Emigdio. Also i love Tio Rey’s ensambles en barro but they can be pretty polarizing

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't get the whole idea behind paying for expensive non-smoky mezcal. 

It's like people complaining about wanting gin without the gin/juniper flavor. You don't have to spend money finding/buying flavorless gin...just drink vodka. 

• Like 2

Mezquila… @GreenspointTexas is not going to be happy about this!

I’m generally not into celebrity booze, and why can’t you just mix mezcal and tequila if that’s the taste you’re going for? 

Also, I’m team David Lee Roth, but spending and evening drinking and eating with Sammy is probably a hoot.