2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably going to miss her in the spring.  She's proven to be a nice change of pace when Jhenna's struggling or we need some height in the front.  

Maybe by then Cabello? can contribute?

Very likely yes. We might even see her against TCU (I hope)

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I am not going to feign surprise.  The players can go home now as planned for the holidays and not worry about it until the spring. Postponing it to the weekend after Thanksgiving was stupid. 

Hopefully, we can secure a Texas A&M or LSU match, maybe a Texas State or UH match and the TCU match for the spring prior to the April tournament. 

Once the Big 12 championship was wrapped up, this was an easy decision.  Also, fuck you TCU, this is all your fault.  3 of the 4 postponed series belong to you - OU, Texas and Kansas. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I am not going to feign surprise.  The players can go home now as planned for the holidays and not worry about it until the spring. Postponing it to the weekend after Thanksgiving was stupid.    Hopefully, we can secure a Texas A&M or LSU match, maybe a Texas State or UH match and the TCU match for the spring prior to the April tournament.   Once the Big 12 championship was wrapped up, this was an easy decision.  Also, fuck you TCU, this is all your fault.  3 of the 4 postponed series belong to you - OU, Texas and Kansas. 

Glad TEXAS won both matches against baylor... 

Left no doubt who B12 Champion was... 🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan

Also read the postseason awards and All-Big 12 teams will be announced in the spring.

Great job, TCU. 

My guess:

• Coach of the Year: Suzie Fritz - KSU was picked 8th and will finish 3rd
  • Big 12 Offensive POY: Logan Eggleston, Texas (#7 in hitting, #1 in kills per set, #2 in aces and #1 in points)
  • Big 12 Newcomer of the Year: Guewe Diouf, Oklahoma or Aliyah Carter, KSU
  • Big 12 Defense POY: Brionne Butler, Texas (#1 in blocks)
  • Big 12 Setter of the Year:  Jhenna Gabriel, Texas (#1 in assists/set and led Texas to the top hitting % by nearly 60 points over Baylor)
  • Big 12 Libero of the Year: Izzy Enna, Iowa State (#1 in digs) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, wood said:

We go undefeated and drop out of the top spot?

WTF am I missing here?

I certainly hope our Horns are appropriately motivated by this fuckery.

The pollsters thinks Wisconsin is better than we are, on the basis on the roster test.  

It's B1G bias, which is exactly like SEC bias in college football. 

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Volleyball play can resume January 22nd but we don’t have our schedule yet do we? I want to know when we’re facing TCU

As far as I know, we have to work around TCU (they also need to reschedule OU and Kansas in addition to our matches) and we were (last I saw) discussing some non-conf matches with the SEC and ACC to ensure we get some competitive playing time before the April tournament.  Also not sure we've gotten full NCAA guidance on how many matches we can play in the spring after an (almost) full conference slate in the fall.

You get into maxing out practice/competition days territory and someone (*cough* B1G) will complain Texas got to practice soooooooooooooooooooooooo much more than them. 

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

The pollsters thinks Wisconsin is better than we are, on the basis on the roster test.  

It's B1G bias, which is exactly like SEC bias in college football. 

Well.  Yeah.

But, the odds of going undefeated vs. the Big XII as opposed to B1G are a tad different.  And we didn't get any benefit from OOC scheduling this year to test our mettle outside of Baylor.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well.  Yeah.

But, the odds of going undefeated vs. the Big XII as opposed to B1G are a tad different.  And we didn't get any benefit from OOC scheduling this year to test our mettle outside of Baylor.

This is assuming either no one will play us this spring or the NCAA says no.  But Elliot wants to play.  We should be trying to get some matches against Florida, Louisville, Notre Dame, Missouri, A&M and LSU.  They played their fall schedules too, now we need some matches before the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

So most Big 12 schools have announced spring matches:

• Baylor has a home and home with UNT
  • OU and Tech have matches against SMU
  • Iowa State has matches against Saint Louis, Marquette, Illinois State and Wayne State (in addition to making up the OU matches)
  • West Virginia has a match against Western Kentucky
  • Kansas State has a home and home with Wichita State

Besides our make up with TCU, we are hosting Rice on March 23. 

47 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

3 matches ain’t gonna prep us for the NCAAs especially with the new faces. A slate of ~15 spring matches is what I’m hoping to see

I agree and I'm sure Elliot is working on more, this is just what we have so far.

I don't know if we will get 15.  We might be lucky to get 10.  The SEC has said no non-SEC opponents and are playing the rest of their schedule this spring - they only played 8 fall matches against 4 opponents and now 16 matches against 8 opponents.  I think the ACC also nixed non-ACC opponents in the spring too.

At this point, I'd rather just play Kansas and Baylor for the reps. 

Edited by Js1

OK, can someone explain this to me like I'm 10 years old? How does the Fall season figure into things? Is it part of a bigger fall/spring season that will culminate in playoffs? I haven't seen anything that clearly delineates what's happening there.

20 minutes ago, wood said:

OK, can someone explain this to me like I'm 10 years old? How does the Fall season figure into things? Is it part of a bigger fall/spring season that will culminate in playoffs? I haven't seen anything that clearly delineates what's happening there.

The NCAA tournament is in April.  Teams who played fall schedules and spring schedules will both participate.  Only 48 teams instead of 64.   It's not out of the realm of possibility that the whole tournament is played in Omaha in a bubble. 

Our fall season is the biggest part of our resume - we are the Big 12 champions in the eyes of the committee. Our spring TCU matches will count as part of the Big 12 standings (because we didn't play them in the fall) but our spring Baylor matches are non-conference - we just need the competition against an E8/F4 type of team. 

The committee will evaluate resumes mostly based on conference schedules as outside of the Big 12, the SEC/ACC/Pac12/B1G will not play any non-conference matches. 

Texas is likely a lock to be a #1 seed, along with Wisconsin, Kentucky and Nebraska/Minnesota/Stanford most likely.  But this time, there's not going to be a home court advantage for us. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

The NCAA tournament is in April.  Teams who played fall schedules and spring schedules will both participate.  Only 48 teams instead of 64.   It's not out of the realm of possibility that the whole tournament is played in Omaha in a bubble. 

Our fall season is the biggest part of our resume - we are the Big 12 champions in the eyes of the committee. Our spring TCU matches will count as part of the Big 12 standings (because we didn't play them in the fall) but our spring Baylor matches are non-conference - we just need the competition against an E8/F4 type of team. 

The committee will evaluate resumes mostly based on conference schedules as outside of the Big 12, the SEC/ACC/Pac12/B1G will not play any non-conference matches. 

Texas is likely a lock to be a #1 seed, along with Wisconsin, Kentucky and Nebraska/Minnesota/Stanford most likely.  But this time, there's not going to be a home court advantage for us. 

Thanks! And of course, the one time we're a high seed, it does us no good.

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Thanks! And of course, the one time we're a high seed, it does us no good.

LOL "the one time" just gonna laugh at that because we have been a top 6 seed pretty much for the past decade and more often than not, seeded 1-4.  the NCAA moved to top 4 seeds hosting regionals in 2017.  It's pretty recent. 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL "the one time" just gonna laugh at that because we have been a top 6 seed pretty much for the past decade and more often than not, seeded 1-4.  the NCAA moved to top 4 seeds hosting regionals in 2017.  It's pretty recent. 

No shit? Yeah, I realize we've had good seeds. I meant at the very top, when we might be a 1 seed playing the entire tourney in a bubble near another top seed's campus. The context was pretty clear. And yeah, I realize it does us some good in matchups, too. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Eljefeweizen said:

Is there any coverage of today's game against ou? Stats tracker, that sort of thing?

There's almost always a gametracker linked on texassports.com.  Usually whatever radio/audio and tv/video is available.  Not bootlegs, of course.

But, of course, I say that, and there's nothing there.  Surely this will be on LHN?

• Hook 'Em 1