GPS Asset Tracker

davidg

Bought a new travel trailer recently and have a few other items stored remotely from my house that I would like to install gps trackers.   Anybody currently utilizing them?  What companies have you looked at?  Likes/dislikes?

I have two units that have battery power available and 2 others the don't so I'll need a mix of devices.  I have a colleague that has had the same car hauler trailer stolen 3 times.   Recovered it once when it was undergoing a sale and twice via a tracker after he had installed the device.  

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

Come on, now.  Your wife's cheating on you and you wanna find out the man she's boinking.

Hey, if he's boinking her, he's a better man than me. 

I keeed, I keeed.      Really just trying to be able to locate a travel trailer and a tractor if they get stolen.

A few months back I rented a trencher from Home Depot.  I did my little project and returned it. 

A couple weeks later, I decided to do some more, so I called to reserve it.  The guy answering the phone says "we don't have a walk-behind trencher".

Bullshit, I rented the motherfucker two weeks ago!

"Yes, we HAD one, but somebody didn't return it, so now we don't have one...It's got GPS, so check back in a few days to see if it's been recovered".  

I went to United Rentals instead.

Yeah, csb. 

So, my colleague uses Logistimatics.  Seems they have battery powered and ones for a vehicle that has battery power available.   $70-100 for the tracker and $10-12/month for service.  Gonna buy one I think and play with it a bit.

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

What do you do, hide these things somewhere?

The battery versions typically have a magnet mount so you can remove to recharge or replace the battery.   The guy with the car hauler bolted it up under the deck of trailer and welded a bracket over it that you cant remove without a lot of work.  If I put on on my TT, I will put it somewhere so that I still have 12V power  even though the one I'm looking at also has a rechargeable battery that will run for a month or more, broadcasting every hour, once the 12V is removed.  

What I'm seeing is the cost of the unit is $100 and pay ~$120 or so up front for 1 year of coverage.  I'm looking at the Wired-425 for my RV but it would work for the tractor or boat too.

https://logistimatics.com/category/asset-trackers/

https://logistimatics.com/tracking-service/