Taiwan and China: Trump leaves giant diplomatic dump for Biden

Brisketexan

So, with days left in office, the Trump admin abruptly revokes a US/China policy that had been in place over 40 years:

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-taiwan-diplomacy/pompeo-lifts-self-imposed-restrictions-on-u-s-taiwan-relationship-idINKBN29E0QL

Does it actually accomplish anything? Of course not. Is it a naked and pointless provocation of China, with little upside? Absolutely. Is it a shameless move to leave Biden with a mess that can’t easily be cleaned up (he can’t just undo this change, as it would look like he was catering to China; he also can’t really follow through on it, because it would needlessly provoke China for no real gain)? Yep.

This is one thing and one thing only: an act of sabotage of the incoming administration.

There will be more. Because Donald Trump is at war with the United States. Anything he can do to harm it and its leadership, he’ll do.

Stay tuned for more.

This is exactly why he must be removed, immediately.

• Rage+1 1

I have little doubt that this is some sort of thumb in the eye of Biden.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure it's that big a deal.  Our whole "lack of official relations" with ROC while we openly sell them arms and trade with them is kind of an absurd charade. Along with the non-treaty defense and recognition treaty in the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act.

I would think Biden could put this particular genie back into the bottle relatively easily.

But, I agree that there's going to be some other shit sandwiches put together for Biden in the next couple of weeks.  Some may be pretty serious.

My head agrees with you 100%.

My heart says that the agreement by the UN to ostracize Taiwan in exchange for China, and the accompanying worldwide severance of diplomatic relations with Taiwan, is a relic of an era when China truly had zero problems with neighbors. That isn't the case anymore. 

Oh, and fuck China and their phony decorum. Everyone knows the back channels have been open all along.

It is possible for Biden to use this as a bargaining chip. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I have little doubt that this is some sort of thumb in the eye of Biden.
Nevertheless, I'm not sure it's that big a deal.  Our whole "lack of official relations" with ROC while we openly sell them arms and trade with them is kind of an absurd charade. Along with the non-treaty defense and recognition treaty in the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act.
I would think Biden could put this particular genie back into the bottle relatively easily.
But, I agree that there's going to be some other shit sandwiches put together for Biden in the next couple of weeks.  Some may be pretty serious.

In diplomacy, charades matter.

In diplomacy with societies that are all about “saving face,” they matter even more. This is an act of sabotage. That’s all it is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

If I'm Iran, I'd keep my head low and stay off the internet until the 20th.  It's like being Southwestern State Teachers College of South Dakota, and the NCAA busted an SEC team for something and is looking to make an example out of somebody.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Ha! Chinese state media thinks Pompeo is freelancing and that the Trump Admin is trying to poison the well on their way out the door.

POLITICO

Another commentary posted online by CGTN, the English-language channel of state broadcaster CCTV, called Pompeo’s announcement “a cowardly act of sabotage” of the next U.S. administration.

“The Trump administration, in its continuing efforts to burn the house down before leaving office, has crossed a dangerous red line with China days before incoming President Joe Biden takes office,” the commentary read in part.

Ha! Chinese state media thinks Pompeo is freelancing and that the Trump Admin is trying to poison the well on their way out the door.
POLITICO
Another commentary posted online by CGTN, the English-language channel of state broadcaster CCTV, called Pompeo’s announcement “a cowardly act of sabotage” of the next U.S. administration.
“The Trump administration, in its continuing efforts to burn the house down before leaving office, has crossed a dangerous red line with China days before incoming President Joe Biden takes office,” the commentary read in part.

Well....yeah. China is many things, but “stupid” ain’t one of em.

23 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

My heart says that the agreement by the UN to ostracize Taiwan in exchange for China, and the accompanying worldwide severance of diplomatic relations with Taiwan, is a relic of an era when China truly had zero problems with neighbors. That isn't the case anymore. 

It’s also a relic of an era when the United States could make concessions like this without losing face ourselves, and when China at least pretended to be a responsible actor that was interested in a gradual, peaceful resolution to Taiwan.

Neither of those things are true anymore. The PRC now insists via non-veiled threats that we (and everyone else) adhere to a ridiculous bit of kabuki theater when interacting with the Taiwanese— a prosperous, democratic, peaceful island that threatens no one except the internal legitimacy of the CCP. It’s one thing to voluntarily offer up some niceties, it’s quite another thing to bend the knee to the demands of the Celestial Ruler. 

Make no mistake, China is as malign as it gets and is the greatest long term threat to a global order based on rules and even perfunctory lip service to basic human rights. One of the great tragedies of the DJT era, IMO, is that he politicized and tainted the need to respond to China.  It should have our bipartisan attention just like the USSR did at peak Khrushchev.

We implanted most of these rituals unilaterally and it’s not written down anywhere. I won’t argue that the timing for these changes is honest or appropriate— but anyone who wants to argue that the gotdamn CCP should have veto power over who gets invited to the U.S. Embassy July 4 party should re-evaluate their position. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Seems like a simple fix.

Just announce on the first day in office that everything trump did in the last 4 years is revoked immediately, including this.

Really it's a no brainer. I like how the republicans are trying to pretend that trump did all this good work that he threw away when he incited an insurrection.

No, everything he did hurt the country. He inherited a good economy that he trashed and tanked just like he did with the money he inherited from his shitty father.

Seriously, you cannot go wrong with just saying everything trump did the last 4 years is immediately revoked. And if Biden can't announce it unilaterally, take it to the congress.

• 4 months later...